Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pg_rider
Topic Author

Small request for Sonica

Mon May 01, 2006 3:01 pm

Bob, is it possible to display the song bitrate next to the file type down on the bottom of the screen? I'd be curious to see "XXX kbps" next to "MP3", as my ~2500 files all have a mix of bitrates.

Just wondering...

bpwwer

Re: Small request for Sonica

Mon May 01, 2006 3:45 pm

pg_rider wrote:
Bob, is it possible to display the song bitrate next to the file type down on the bottom of the screen? I'd be curious to see "XXX kbps" next to "MP3", as my ~2500 files all have a mix of bitrates.

Just wondering...

Maybe, somewhat... For MP3's, that info is stored in the header, at least for constant bitrate files. I'd have to look again to see what's there for variable bitrate. I don't have any code for getting that kind of information for other file types unless it is part of the tags.
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]

pg_rider
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2006 5:07 pm

Yeah, I thought it might be difficult for all the file types. Me, ALL my music is on mp3's so I was being selfish in thinking it could work for me... :D

bpwwer

Mon May 01, 2006 8:43 pm

I just uploaded version 0.4.10 of Sonica to my website (see below). It adds the ability to display the mp3 bitrate to the status bar. If it finds an average variable bitrate value it uses that, otherwise it uses the constant bitrate value.

For my mp3 (mostly encoded at VBR 192, it gets the variable bitrate value. However, I noticed that the constant bitrate value is 128 on these same files. Let me know if seems to be displaying the wrong values.
-- Bob --

pg_rider
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2006 8:15 am

Sweet! Will try it as soon as I get home!!! Image

pg_rider
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2006 4:43 pm

Well, it works great! Two things I did notice though. One, it takes a bit longer for the song to start playing, almost like it's calculating the bitrate. No big deal, just an observable. And two, this version in general scans slower than the last. The scan took about twice as long as before -- not sure why this would be impacted by the change.

On a different note, for a while now I've been having a problem when exiting Sonica. It takes me out to the main screen, but within a couple seconds it restarts Sonica on it's own! Any logical explanation for this? I haven't changed my remote's macro or anything like that so it's gotta be the Roku causing it...

Anyway, thanks for the update!

bpwwer

Tue May 02, 2006 5:23 pm

pg_rider wrote:
Well, it works great! Two things I did notice though. One, it takes a bit longer for the song to start playing, almost like it's calculating the bitrate. No big deal, just an observable.

It might be. I'm using a libid3 library routine to get the bitrate values. It is possible that it is scanning the file and calculating the bitrate.

pg_rider wrote:
And two, this version in general scans slower than the last. The scan took about twice as long as before -- not sure why this would be impacted by the change.

Nothing I did between 0.4.9 and 0.4.10 should have any effect on scanning speed. It calls the function to get the bitrate before starting the song and prints the bitrate along with everything else when it updates the display

pg_rider wrote:
On a different note, for a while now I've been having a problem when exiting Sonica. It takes me out to the main screen, but within a couple seconds it restarts Sonica on it's own! Any logical explanation for this? I haven't changed my remote's macro or anything like that so it's gotta be the Roku causing it...

How are you starting it? What does your sonica.roku file contain?

My first guess would be that the sonica.roku shell script has two lines in it starting sonica.

Anyway, thanks for the update![/quote]
-- Bob --

pg_rider
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2006 5:41 pm

I start it by clicking the Sonica icon from the Roku GUI. I modified my sonica.roku file to look for my .audio folder. Here's what I've got; looks like maybe there's one too many lines?

#!/bin/sh
#
# sonica.roku
#
# shell script for starting the sonica application
#
# sonica command line usage:
#
# sonica [-r] [-d <level>] [-s <path_1>] [-s <path_2>] ... [-s <path_10>]
#
# -r turns on shuffle play mode for the play queue.
# -d sets the debugging output level (default is 1).
# -s selects a directory path (<path_xx>) to scan for music files.
#

MY_PATH=`/usr/bin/dirname "$0"`
cd "$MY_PATH"
./sonica -s /tmp/Volumes/senna-media/.Audio

# Examples:
#
# ./sonica -s /mnt/smb/music
# Scan /mnt/smb/music for music files
#
# ./sonica -r
# Turn on shuffle play mode for the play queue
#
# ./soncia -r -s /mnt/smb/server/music -s /mnt/smb/server2/music -s /mnt/flash1
# Turn on shuffle play and scan three different areas for music.
#
# ./sonica -d 10 -s /mnt/smb/music
# Scan /mnt/smb/music for music files with full debug output enabled

# Default start up is with no command line arguments. This will scan /mnt/smb
# for music files.
./sonica -s /mnt/smb

bpwwer

Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 pm

pg_rider wrote:
I start it by clicking the Sonica icon from the Roku GUI. I modified my sonica.roku file to look for my .audio folder. Here's what I've got; looks like maybe there's one too many lines?

./sonica -s /mnt/smb

Yeah, this line at the end is what is restarting it the second time. Remove that (or put a '#' in front of it) and your problem should be solved.
-- Bob --