Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Would you be interested in a standalone Podcast/Internet Radio/Live Music Archive application for the PhotoBridge?

Yes! I've been waiting for something like that!
18 (67%)
Maybe... I'd probably try it out, but I don't know if I'd use it.
8 (30%)
No. I have no need for such an application.
1 (4%)

Total votes: 27

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Any interest in a standalone Podcast/IRadio/LMA application?

Fri May 05, 2006 10:21 am

Would anyone be interested in a standalone Podcast, Internet Radio, Live Music Archive application for the PhotoBridge? It would be something along the lines of the Internet Radio/Live Music Archive/Podcast Browser in SlimRoku but without the backend server requirement.

Comments welcome...
TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

SimonO

Fri May 05, 2006 1:03 pm

I voted 2... How about a photo viewing app first :wink: ???
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

HTNut

Fri May 05, 2006 7:05 pm

I voted for it but I also agree that a really cool photo viewing app would be used even more useful. That and a POP3 email client would be way cool! :idea: This would allow me to just browse the latest spam in my inbox from the comfort of my couch. If I saw something I had to reply to I could always log onto my PC and do it.

r111

Sat May 06, 2006 10:40 am

photo viewer! would be nice if the "PhotoBridge" displayed photos with a fraction of the dexterity you have brought to movies and music.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2006 7:47 am

SimonO wrote:
I voted 2... How about a photo viewing app first :wink: ???
HTNut wrote:
I voted for it but I also agree that a really cool photo viewing app would be used even more useful. That and a POP3 email client would be way cool! :idea: This would allow me to just browse the latest spam in my inbox from the comfort of my couch. If I saw something I had to reply to I could always log onto my PC and do it.
r111 wrote:
photo viewer! would be nice if the "PhotoBridge" displayed photos with a fraction of the dexterity you have brought to movies and music.

While I appreciate the feedback and requests, I was specifically asking about the internet streaming application because I've already written the majority of the browser interface part of it for SlimRoku. I'd just need to write the player and metadata parser, which I think should be pretty straight forward.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

brad

rss too?

Sun May 07, 2006 12:29 pm

A standalone app sounds great, not to suggest that slim doesn't work great.

Any chance you could use it to read RSS as well?

Brad

TheEndless
Topic Author

Re: rss too?

Sun May 07, 2006 4:51 pm

brad wrote:
A standalone app sounds great, not to suggest that slim doesn't work great.

Any chance you could use it to read RSS as well?

Brad

Since the podcast listings use RSS, the parsing code will already be there, so it's entirely possible.

TheEndless

r111

Sun May 07, 2006 9:29 pm

sorry for jumping on the picture viewer bandwagon - didn't mean to hijack your enquiry.

aceface

Mon May 08, 2006 9:55 am

If this is replacement for Hex Radio I'm all for it. As much as i like Hex radio something with a sexier UI would be nice. I like the Podcast element too. You have my vote.

Thanks for sticking with us Photobridger's "Endless".
SOLD!! ROKU rev.A w/swap card w/rewired PSU
XBOX360
SONY 3000ES Digital Receiver
SONY 37" Plasma
Ethernet & Wi-Fi Network
Verizon FiOs
WIN XP & MAC OS X
Buffalo Technologies Link Station server

TekChicLaurie

Mon May 08, 2006 7:06 pm

I'm all for it also. Anything with an easier interface is welcome. I hate having to go upstairs, pull the CF card from my PB, bring the card downstairs, plug in into my CF adapter which goes into my PC's USB port, edit an XML file, save it, go back upstairs, plug the CF card back in to my PB and come back downstair just to add a single favorite to Hex. And before anyone says anything, I'm sure there are lot's of ways using Linux command line stuff to maybe do it remotely over the network using telnet, putty or something, but I'm sorry, I left command line garbage at MSDOS 6.22 about 11 years ago - and frankly, it's faster to go upstairs than learn a new language just for one audio/video component. Is it so hard to simply scroll to a station/podcast you like within the app and with a click of the remote have it added to your favorites list?
I'm not anti-Linux or anything like that, if I had the time I'd fool around with it and learn it just for fun, but the PB will never make to the mainstream until it gets as "easy" to use as programming a VCR (and you know all the jokes people make about that). I love my ROKU PB and my friends are really impressed by what it does, but I wouldn't dare recommend it to them because they would hate me for how technical you have to be to do the most basic things.
I'm certainly grateful that there are people like you out there doing what ROKU didn't have the foresight to do, I would just hate to see the product (and this forum) go away because they couldn't produce a commercially viable (viable being the operative word) product. The more user-friendly the product is, the more it will get used, the more it will sell, you get the picture...
Thanks,

TekChicLaurie

dgburns

Tue May 09, 2006 12:44 pm

I voted YES. Probably the biggest reason I DON'T use HexRadio more frequently is the effort required to customize it for what I want. Like being able to filter out particular types of streams that won't play on my Roku, eliminate low bitrate streams from the list, etc. If this app gave me a more user-friendly way, heck, I'd paypal donate to the cause.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

pg_rider

Tue May 09, 2006 1:04 pm

dgburns wrote:
I voted YES. Probably the biggest reason I DON'T use HexRadio more frequently is the effort required to customize it for what I want. Like being able to filter out particular types of streams that won't play on my Roku, eliminate low bitrate streams from the list, etc. If this app gave me a more user-friendly way, heck, I'd paypal donate to the cause.

Ditto, word for word... :)

mage

Tue May 09, 2006 1:33 pm

Voted YES as well. I'm an avid user of SlimRoku. Great app. I struggled this weekend to have access to a couple of Internet radio stations through SlimRoku, which turned out not to be very easy. Especially keeping in mind that it finally should be usable by "the other person" in the house. I only succeeded in adding stations through "Playlists", with one station per playlist.
I must say that more than half of the effort went into Slimserver to set it up correctly for transcoding from WMA to WAV.

In short, a dedicated app for internet radio, capable of playing WMA and MP3 stations natively, with a simple nice looking interface, would be very much appreciated. Anything as user-friendly as SlimRoku and MPlay would be great. Hopefully, you'll find the time and inspiration to do so. Thanks anyway!

Regards,
mage

julianmclean

Fri May 12, 2006 3:49 am

I vote yes definitely - the SlimRoku UI is really good, so doing the same for Radio would be perfect.

TheEndless, have you considered building an all in one Media program, taking SlimRoku, MPlay and this radio idea together? I know this would be a considerable effort, but it would be really nice to have a single place for media.

dgburns

Fri May 12, 2006 6:55 am

julianmclean wrote:
I vote yes definitely - the SlimRoku UI is really good, so doing the same for Radio would be perfect.

TheEndless, have you considered building an all in one Media program, taking SlimRoku, MPlay and this radio idea together? I know this would be a considerable effort, but it would be really nice to have a single place for media.

If he's gonna do that, how about a completely new UI overall, with such features "built in"? A total replacement for the existing UI? I'd paypal donate even MORE for that!!!
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2