Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:48 am

andy wrote:
twess wrote:
Hey guys, been watching the Dave and Andy Show unfold over the past few weeks and finally decided to give it a try it myself. :D

Thot it would be pretty neat to be able to watch my kid play Ghost Recon on the HD big screen ... :twisted:

The refresh rate won't be as fast over the network as on a local PC. I think VncSix gets only 2-3 frames per second (fps) over a 100Mbps wired network, so set your expectations accordingly. This is fine for web browsing and many other tasks, but I think watching video or playing action games will be unsatisfactory.

It's probably also important to note that resolution changes (as are pretty common in games with pre-rendered cut scenes) will cause VncSix to crash.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

twess

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:08 am

andy wrote:
twess wrote:
Hey guys, been watching the Dave and Andy Show unfold over the past few weeks and finally decided to give it a try it myself. :D

Thot it would be pretty neat to be able to watch my kid play Ghost Recon on the HD big screen ... :twisted:

The refresh rate won't be as fast over the network as on a local PC. I think VncSix gets only 2-3 frames per second (fps) over a 100Mbps wired network, so set your expectations accordingly. This is fine for web browsing and many other tasks, but I think watching video or playing action games will be unsatisfactory.

twess wrote:
Unfortunately, am suffering from the blank screen syndrome as Dave was on 5/19. :cry:

Selected host name=192.168.1.100 port=5900
./VncSix: VNC server supports protocol version 3.4 (viewer 3.3)
./VncSix: Unknown authentication scheme from VNC server: -6
Connecting to server 192.168.1.100... Connected to server 192.168.1.100.
Initializing connection... Couldn't initialize

Check the settings of your server VNC program. Make sure it's using old or classic style autherntication (version 3.3) and that a password is entered that matches what you set in VncSix. (A blank password sometimes casues problems.)

Don't pick "Use Windows authentication". Don't pick Remote Desktop Protocol or RDP.

If this doesn't work post what the authentication options are and we can figure out which ones are most likely to work.

eeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaayyyyy!

I unchecked authentication in the WinVNC admin properties panel and unchecked "poll full screen" in Current Users Properties panel, went back and took out an extraneous CR in the SetupServer file and BOOM! what's on the monitor in the den is on the TV in the living room.

Thanks for the help!

now the tweaking questions ....

display on pc is set for 1280x1024, 32 bit, looks great on 19'' lcd monitor w/ ATI 9800 all-in-wonder card

on Panasonic 32" Tau HD monitor, has 4.5" black border around displayed monitor image w/ Roku set to "component 1080i"

not complaining, app works as advertised, just wondering if I need to tweak a setting or two to get full screen image on the HD monitor ...

again thanks for the help, after nearly a year of it just sitting in the armoire, acting like a SoundBridge, I'm finally seeing what this PB can do ...

andy

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:06 am

twess wrote:
eeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaayyyyy!

I unchecked authentication in the WinVNC admin properties panel and unchecked "poll full screen" in Current Users Properties panel, went back and took out an extraneous CR in the SetupServer file and BOOM! what's on the monitor in the den is on the TV in the living room.

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome! That's excellent news. Two new users in two days, I think that's great!

twess wrote:

display on pc is set for 1280x1024, 32 bit, looks great on 19'' lcd monitor w/ ATI 9800 all-in-wonder card

on Panasonic 32" Tau HD monitor, has 4.5" black border around displayed monitor image w/ Roku set to "component 1080i"

VncSix maintains the aspect ratio of the source so it doesn't look squished or stretched. Since your source is close to square VncSix adds pillars on the sides, like watching SD TV on an HD set. Is that what you are seeing or is there a black border on all 4 sides?

I could add a mode to VncSix where it stretches to fill the screen. However, if you can set your graphics card to a 16:9 resolution, then that should fill the screen on the PB. Some 16:9 resolutions are 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

twess wrote:
again thanks for the help, after nearly a year of it just sitting in the armoire, acting like a SoundBridge, I'm finally seeing what this PB can do ...

It's really a great box. I'm hopeful that with the 2.5 SoundBridge firmware complete and the SoundBridge Radio shipping that Roku will now put more energy on the PB again.
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

twess

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:38 am

twess wrote:

VncSix maintains the aspect ratio of the source so it doesn't look squished or stretched. Since your source is close to square VncSix adds pillars on the sides, like watching SD TV on an HD set. Is that what you are seeing or is there a black border on all 4 sides?

yes, at least 3" black on all 4 sides, neither pc monitor nor hd monitor are "wide-screen", so i'm not sure how changing the aspect ratio on the graphics card would resolve the problem on the hd monitor without creating a problem on the pc monitor ... but perhaps that is just my "noobness" ...

I could add a mode to VncSix where it stretches to fill the screen. However, if you can set your graphics card to a 16:9 resolution, then that should fill the screen on the PB. Some 16:9 resolutions are 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

yes, please! i think a "fill screen" mode for the roku would resolve this issue.

twess wrote:

It's really a great box. I'm hopeful that with the 2.5 SoundBridge firmware complete and the SoundBridge Radio shipping that Roku will now put more energy on the PB again.[/quote]

new firmware? finally? great!

hey , i just want to thank everybody in the "third party" community for breathing new life into my roku

well, i just got slimroku working (what an improvement over the native soundplayer!), so it is off to try sdesk this time.

again, thanks EVERYBODY for the great support. you all dont HAVE to do all this, but you do, i admire your dedication.

dgburns

Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:30 am

twess wrote:
new firmware? finally? great!

Nobody from Roku will confirm anything though, so don't get your hopes up TOO high.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2