Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pg_rider
Topic Author

Need elegant MPlay solution for browsing movies on 2 drives

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:46 am

My PC has two 320GB hard drives. Until recently I had all my ripped DVDs on one of the two, which I set up as a share so the Roku could see it. Now I've filled it up and need to start putting movies on the other hard drive. Question is, can I set up MPlay so that it "sees" movies on both drives, but displays them all together when browsing? In other words, I'm hoping I don't have to browse one drive for half my movies, back out, and browse the other drive for the other half.

Thoughts or ideas?

mlknez

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:57 am

I am assuming that your pc is running windows xp. If this is the case, you can use the command mountvol. mountvol allows you to map a locally attached drive as a subdirectory on another locally attached drive. The result would be that the one drive would appear to be a subdirectory on the other.

pg_rider
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:10 pm

Okay, I think I follow... so I would still need two shares, but one would be a sub within the other so I'd only have to go up and down one level to see all my movies...

What are the specifics for the mountvol command? Do I implement it by telnet'ing into the Roku? Or do I just do it within Windows? And yes, I'm running XP...

mlknez

Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:34 pm

Actually, you only need one share.

Create a new, empty directory below your existing share

Right-click my computer
click Manage
Click Disk Management
Right-click the drive that you want to relocate under the subdirectory of another
Click change drive letter and paths
Click add
choose the drive and empty directory that you want this drive located under (the one you created above)

that is it! Now you can refer to that drive as its existing drive letter or as the other drive letter under the empty directory that you created

All of this is done on your windows computer not on the roku

pg_rider
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:15 pm

Rats.... now you lost me. Currently I have one drive labeled E:, shared and mounted on the Roku, with subfolders for Apps, Audio, Video, and Pics. I filled it up with too many movies in Video so I now want to start storing more movies on the other drive (labeled F: ). So what you're saying is create a directory under E: and "move" F: there using the steps you listed?

Sorry for being so slow.... :)

mlknez

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:35 pm

No, you actually don't move anything. Let's say that you have a path on your e drive called media. E:\media

you have your share on your server as \\servername\media

under e:\media you have
e:\media\apps
e:\media\pics
e:\media\music
e:\media\video

create a new empty directory under media called newvideo (e:\media\newvideo)

Do all of the steps that I said in my previous post to your f: drive and point it to e:\media\newvideo

under your media share you should now see a new directory called newvideo when you are done.

pg_rider
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:44 pm

Well that was pretty cool -- got the 2nd drive to show up under the main drive as a subfolder, and therefore only need one share. But therein lies the problem -- when using MPlay, I still have to browse to two different folders to see all my movies. Am I still missing something?

mlknez

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:49 am

you could move your movies to the new folder if you wish

pg_rider
Topic Author

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:08 am

mlknez wrote:
you could move your movies to the new folder if you wish

Here's what I ended up with (not sure why the screen capture came out so blurry). Basically I setup two folders for the movies, A-J and K-Z. K-Z are on my "original" drive (E:), with A-J now sitting on the "new" drive (G:). Then mounted G: under E: Movies and pointed MPlay to look at the "Movies" folder. When it opens up I see two the folders so I just pick the one with the movie I want to watch. I'm pretty happy with this as I now have the movies split across the two drives and they're fairly easy to access, but if I'm still missing some way to have them all show up in one folder (without actually moving them into one folder and thereby filling up all the space) then please advise! And thanks for the tips so far!!!

(pay no attention to the other crap my wife has on the E: drive! :D)

tjdebon

Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:33 pm

can you put shortcuts to all the movies in one folder on your PV and link MPlay to that?

TekChicLaurie

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:53 pm

If you can temporarily move the data off of your 2nd drive, you can do this to get what you need:
As instructed above, go to Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Management. right click on the text to the left of the graphic bar of the boot drive (in your case probably "Disk 0" with the word "Basic" below it. Select "Convert to Dynamic Disk. If you're running a basic Windows installation you shouldn't have a problem, if you're running muliple operating systems then this won't work. I'm pretty sure your drives need to be formatted as NTFS (rather than FAT32). If you are already formatted as FAT32, you can use a utility like "Partition Magic" to convert your FAT32 drives to NTFS without losing any of your data. Converting to dynamic disks does not affect your data. But to make this entire process work, I'm pretty sure your second drive will need to be empty until you're finished.
Once you've converted the first disk, do the same on the second disk (Disk 1). You now have TWO "dynamic" disks (which at this moment is no different than haveing 2 basic diks). Right click the first drive and select "New Volume". You now want to create a "Spanned Volume". This will (as far as your computer is concerned) turn your 2 350GB drives into a singe 700GB drive. The wizard will walk you through it - you'll just be adding the 350GB from your second drive to the first drive.
Now you don't have to mess with separate directories or creating new shares, you now have the equivalent of a single 700GB drive that any of your existing directories can use (as well as any new directories you wish to create) Your Roku will also see this just as a single share (oir as many shares as you wish to create). If there is a downside, it's that if one drive fails, then you lose the data on both - but backing up your important data will protect you just as it does now. You can span as many as 32 drives so adding additional drives to your spanned volume is easy. This is the most basic of RAID configurations known as JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). If you find you need additional drives in the future, you might want to check in an expansion card that supports "RAID 5". You can get a card for under $100, and with one extra drive you can get the most of your storage AND have have your data protected from a drive failure. The inexpensive cards are quite slow when writing data, but reading speed is just fine.
I hope this helps, good luck.
Thanks,

TekChicLaurie

CaminoFrancisco

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:57 am

Take a look at what I did in this thread: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5356&highlight= See if there is anything usefull in there. My script has evolved a bit since that post, but it continues to work very well for me. :)
Camino
HD1000 Rev "B"

jsjames

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:43 pm

TekChicLaurie wrote:
[color=blue]If you can temporarily move the data off of your 2nd drive, you can do this to get what you need:
As instructed above, go to Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Management. right click on the text to the left of the graphic bar of the boot drive (in your case probably "Disk 0" with the word "Basic" below it. Select "Convert to Dynamic Disk. If you're running a basic Windows installation you shouldn't have a problem, if you're running muliple operating systems then this won't work. I'm pretty sure your drives need to be formatted as NTFS (rather than FAT32). If you are already formatted as FAT32, you can use a utility like "Partition Magic" to convert your FAT32 drives to NTFS without losing any of your data. Converting to dynamic disks does not affect your data. But to make this entire process work, I'm pretty sure your second drive will need to be empty until you're finished.
Once you've converted the first disk, do the same on the second disk (Disk 1). You now have TWO "dynamic" disks (which at this moment is no different than haveing 2 basic diks). Right click the first drive and select "New Volume". You now want to create a "Spanned Volume". This will (as far as your computer is concerned) turn your 2 350GB drives into a singe 700GB drive. The wizard will walk you through it - you'll just be adding the 350GB from your second drive to the first drive.
Now you don't have to mess with separate directories or creating new shares, you now have the equivalent of a single 700GB drive that any of your existing directories can use (as well as any new directories you wish to create) Your Roku will also see this just as a single share (oir as many shares as you wish to create). If there is a downside, it's that if one drive fails, then you lose the data on both - but backing up your important data will protect you just as it does now. You can span as many as 32 drives so adding additional drives to your spanned volume is easy. This is the most basic of RAID configurations known as JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). color]

I had no idea you could do this. I wondered what Dynamc disks were for.
From what you said, you have to do all of the ones you want spanned at the same time and. I would assume you probably can;t add to it later without re-doing the whole thing.

Do you do this? I wonder how well it works.
Thanks,

Jeff
M1000

TekChicLaurie

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:51 pm

I had no idea you could do this. I wondered what Dynamc disks were for.
From what you said, you have to do all of the ones you want spanned at the same time and. I would assume you probably can;t add to it later without re-doing the whole thing.

Do you do this? I wonder how well it works.[/quote]

Actually, that's one of the things I checked out before doing it, and YES, you can add disks in the future to your spanned "volume" without losing data, so you can add space in the future 1-when you need it and 2-when it's cheaper.
Good Luck!!!
Thanks,

TekChicLaurie

Bgrubb1

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:52 am

I have been using the below method to hang a 300gig drive onto an existing share with no issues. This weekend I tried doing the same with a 750gig drive and have issues. The directories appear on the 750 gig, but if you try to access them the share drops. In Mplay, the folder appears, but the thumbnail does not appear and attempting to access crashes back to the menu. If I take the same drive and "share" it, all works fine so I do not think it is a drive issue. Any ideas ??
Thanks in advance
...Barry

Create a new, empty directory below your existing share

Right-click my computer
click Manage
Click Disk Management
Right-click the drive that you want to relocate under the subdirectory of another
Click change drive letter and paths
Click add
choose the drive and empty directory that you want this drive located under (the one you created above)