Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pg_rider
Topic Author

Renaming .vob files to play sequentially in MPlay

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Just picked up the 2-disc set of Pink Floyd's "Pulse" DVD. Ripped each disc to their own folder with DVD Shrink so now I have two folders, each with files that have the same name (VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2, etc). Question is -- I want to put all the files in the same folder and rename them so that they play all the way through with MPlay while maintaing the ability to skip chapters. Is it just a matter of renaming the disc 2 filenames to start with the next number after the last file from disc 1? In other words, the last file from disc 1 is VTS_01_4, so should I rename the first file from disc 2 as VTS_01_5, and go from there? How should I rename the .BUP and .IFO files?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Renaming .vob files to play sequentially in MPlay

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:18 pm

pg_rider wrote:
Just picked up the 2-disc set of Pink Floyd's "Pulse" DVD. Ripped each disc to their own folder with DVD Shrink so now I have two folders, each with files that have the same name (VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2, etc). Question is -- I want to put all the files in the same folder and rename them so that they play all the way through with MPlay while maintaing the ability to skip chapters. Is it just a matter of renaming the disc 2 filenames to start with the next number after the last file from disc 1? In other words, the last file from disc 1 is VTS_01_4, so should I rename the first file from disc 2 as VTS_01_5, and go from there? How should I rename the .BUP and .IFO files?

If you do it that way, you'll lose the ability to skip chapters on the second DVD, because you'll only have the IFO from the first DVD. I'd suggest leaving them in their respective folders and creating a .MPlaylist file to play them in sequence. Create a text file name "Pulse.MPlaylist" with the following content (replacing the paths with the appropriate paths for your environment):
/mnt/smb/computer/share/Pulse/Disc 1/VTS_01_1.VOB
/mnt/smb/computer/share/Pulse/Disc 2/VTS_01_1.VOB

Then select that file in the browser in MPlay and you should be good to go.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

pg_rider
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:10 am

That worked nicely! Although I did it the old-fashioned way -- took away the -nomenu option, used "Queue Files" from the menu, and saved the playlist. Thanks!