Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

hondo
Topic Author

Is MythRoku dead as well as the HD1000 ?

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:07 am

I have been using my Roku for two years. I routinely use Mplay for DVD playback and previously used MythRoku to playback recorded programs from my Myth server.

MythRoku has not been updated to work with Myth .19 and Myth .20 is just around the corner and I will total loose the functionality of the MythRoku interface once again.

I have been using Mplay to playback the TS files created by MythTV as it records High Definition OTA programs. This process is far from being user friendly as the files created by MythTv do not have "User friendly" file names and selecting the proper program from the Myth box is hit or miss.

Is their anyway to read the "program names" and information from the mysql database that MythTv uses ?

Anyhelp would be appreciated ?

leenuxg33k

Re: Is MythRoku dead as well as the HD1000 ?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:14 am

hondo wrote:
I have been using my Roku for two years. I routinely use Mplay for DVD playback and previously used MythRoku to playback recorded programs from my Myth server.

MythRoku has not been updated to work with Myth .19 and Myth .20 is just around the corner and I will total loose the functionality of the MythRoku interface once again.

I have been using Mplay to playback the TS files created by MythTV as it records High Definition OTA programs. This process is far from being user friendly as the files created by MythTv do not have "User friendly" file names and selecting the proper program from the Myth box is hit or miss.

Is their anyway to read the "program names" and information from the mysql database that MythTv uses ?

Anyhelp would be appreciated ?

The next release of MythTv (.20) will include UPNP support so it won't matter that mythRoku is dead. Just use Mplay with UpNP.

hondo
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:00 am

I can currently play these files with Mplay. Will the UPNP support in Myth .20 allow me to see the real program names "The Unit" not something like 2013_20060606180000.mpg.

Thanks for the insight.

leenuxg33k

Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:51 pm

hondo wrote:
I can currently play these files with Mplay. Will the UPNP support in Myth .20 allow me to see the real program names "The Unit" not something like 2013_20060606180000.mpg.

Thanks for the insight.

I'm 99% sure yes.

dwalton22

Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:00 am

I upgraded my backend a few weeks ago to checkout the UPnP functionality. I found that:

- the roku desktop UPnP client support is fairly weak. It didn't list all of the shows correctly and sometimes it would hang on a folder and not list anything at all

- the MPlay UPnP client support is a little better. It could list many more shows than the roku desktop.

Both did display correct show names but I couldn't get either of them to play a show. The UPnP server code in myth is still very new and I have no doubt it has some bugs that I was probably hitting. I also tried to test with my xbox (XBMC just added UPnP client support) but I hit some bugs in that too due to it being brand new code.

But to answer the original question of is MythRoku dead, I think the official answer from Brad is no but I've been on the dev email list for a while but there hasn't been any activity since march :( I think it is a case of MythRoku provides the main functionality that he needs so there isn't a pressing need to work on it. I did some small features back in Feb and sent Brad diffs which he put in but I haven't been able to update my code via cvs in months so I haven't done any new development lately. I don't want to speak for Brad too much here, I know he still has plans to work on it so no it isn't dead but it isn't very active either.

I originally started running MythRoku because I could never get HD out of my backend to look right on my TV. I recently found out that nvidia finally addeded 1080i support in their drivers so about two weeks ago I bought a new video card (Nvidia FX5200). The new card plus the new nvidia drivers has me displaying 1080i for the first time from my backend!! I now have a full frontend in my living room which is something that I had really missed since moving to MythRoku. It also greatly improves the wife approval factor :)

hondo
Topic Author

Thanks

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:01 am

I purchased the ROku for the exact same reason as you. Loved the functionality of the MythRoku app. It was also silent - a great plus for pleasing the wife. Upgraded Myth to .17 and lost everything. I found a way to get MythRoku going again for .19 with a patch I found from someone. No live TV though.

I have not tried the .20 SVN and with the death of the HD1000 was beginning to worry about getting the TV recordings off the Myth server to the plasma.

I am now very concerned about loosing it all after you comments about the UPnp support in Mplay - thought that might be the answer.

Thanks for the input.

dwalton22

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:29 am

yeah, I do miss the quiet factor of the backend not being in the living room but it's worth the tradeoff to have a fully functional frontend. Maybe I'll get one of those water cooling units that are 100% silent.

I had to upgrade my backend today, I'll give UPnP another try and see if it is any better. There is a new version of MPlay out now too so will try that.

hondo
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:11 pm

Please keep us updated on your findings.