Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

barrygordon
Topic Author

DVD-Audio

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:04 am

I have obtained some DVD-Audio discs. (Not DVD with audio tracks but rather DVD-Audio)

1) Is there any way to play these through slimRoku or Mplay or ....?

2) If so what are the steps to rip to an HD and what if anything must I do

I have both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, but use predominately DVD Shrink.

mlknez

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi Barry,

You cannot play them through the hd1000. They are encoded using mlp which the rokubox does not decode nor do any (except for 2 very expensive) receivers. You can play them through a computer that has dvd audio decoding hardware or software available or from a DVD player that has dvd audio decoding built in. i have a large collection of these and sacd disks myself and would love to do what you are looking to do as well. You can remove the protection using windvd 7 player, but that does not help your situation.

gordo

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:02 am

Many (but not all) DVD-Audio discs have content that is compatible with DVD-Video - encoded with AC3 or DTS. If you have a disc like this you can get the audio out using DVD Decrypter and various tools - www.doom9.org has guides - it's rather convoluted. Typically you have to downmix to 2 channels using besweet, you can downmix to prologic encoding and retain some multichannel info.

An even smaller number of DVD Audio discs have straight pcm audio in the DVD-Video accessible content which can be converted to wav or flac or whatever without loss of quality. For SACD there is a CD compatible layer and you can get the 44.1 kHz 16 bit lossless from that - no way I know of the get the multichannel.

mlknez

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:30 am

Gordo is correct, but you cannot get the hi-res version off of these disks in this manner and isn't hi-res audio the reason that people buy these in the first place? Otherwise, you might as well just get the regular cd quality version for a lot less money.

soiaf

Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:18 pm

It is possible to get the audio from a DVD-Audio - its just nearly impossible to get the programs that do it (the files are no longer stored on the first post of the below link).
I've never tried it myself, its quite a tedious process, but it does work (apparently!).
Have a look at this thread to start your search

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96860

barrygordon
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:16 pm

I understand that you can't get the Hi Rez 192/24 stuff that is encoded in MLP, but what is the best way to get a DTS or DD 5.1 audio file off of a DVD-Video disc. The Discs I HAve are from AIX and the have an audio and a video side and the video side has 5.1 channel DTS and DD versions of the music. I am interested in the DTS versions as I know if I can rip them to a wav file the HD1000 will play them I am just not sure how to do that. When I use DVDshrink and then run the results through mplay I get the music as 48khz 2 CHANNEL PCM.