Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

scans
Topic Author

iTV from Apple

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:22 pm

Well, I saw some pictures from Apple's intro for the iPods and movie service. Steve demoed the iTV ($299, Q1 2007) which wirelessly connects to your Mac (?PC) to browse all your content (music, TV, movies) and can even stream movie previews from the iTunes store. I didn't catch anything about playing your regular DVD's (the movies from Apple are 640x480 H.263) probably because it is too much data.

Presumably, this device is designed optimized for their content with their encryption, not what you provide (ripped DVD's, DVR stuff) yourself.

I guess it's cool to already have a device that does all that and more.

neptune39

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:24 pm

It will connect with iTunes so it will work with any PC, mac or windows xp. It does similar things to the HD1000 but by the look of things will do it much simpler, aiming at the general public. If it takes off it could be a very cool idea as it will naturally upgrade because other thigs will improve i.e the seed of the internet and size of affordable hdds. I think they want to compete with blueray and hd dvd.

mjt5282

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:46 pm

I went to my local Apple Store this afternoon and spoke with a salesperson. He basically said Q1 2007 iTV would be a "video Airport Express".

I bought an airport express a while ago and hooked it up to my system, I found myself using the PB + SlimRoku + slimserver even though it was really buggy ... the album cover art + upcoming song list is undeniably a "good thing".

I guess it really isn't fair to compare Airport Express with the PB (really it should be the SB). I still bought a M1001 after the airport ... I guess I like the web control UI of SlimServer.

I would bet itv will use Rendezvous + DAAP. It will be interesting to see how they are able to compress/decompress video over Wifi ... For me it is a complete no-go using the PB plus a decent PC running win2K.
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

jillako

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Looks like iTV still has a ways to go before it can catch up with MPlay. =)
Especially with that remote.

logandzwon

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:21 am

If you set your wireless to G only you should have no problems streaming DVD content over wireless. Compression isn't needed.

If you have two computers in your house, which I imagine most of ya'll do, you can see how this will work today. Open itunes and buy a video, TV show, or movie. Then open itunes on the other machine. You'll see the video listed in the 1st computer's share. If you use the itunes account on both machine it'll play over the wireless just fine.

na9d

Re: iTV from Apple

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:19 am

scans wrote:
Presumably, this device is designed optimized for their content with their encryption, not what you provide (ripped DVD's, DVR stuff) yourself.

iTunes doesn't care if the content is unencrypted. It will play any video or audio files that you have codecs for. So if you have things like the MPEG-2 component for Quicktime, you'll be able to play any MPEG-2 video file or any MP3 audio or MP4 audio or video..

It will be cool.

Maybe I won't need the HD1000 I just bought from a seller on Amazon! :?

neptune39

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:12 pm

Actually iTunes only lets you add mp4 video files at the min, this is going to need to support avi and mpeg to be competitive. I don't think itunes in its current state would be a good way to organise video or work as a back end server for video. I think they should they should create a new simple app to do this which also has access to your itunes database and some database for your pics.

Dan Smart

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:18 am

neptune39 wrote:
Actually iTunes only lets you add mp4 video files at the min

And from where did you come by this "fact"?

No matter, it simply isn't true.

Dan
4xM2000 2xM1000.

na9d

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:58 pm

neptune39 wrote:
Actually iTunes only lets you add mp4 video files at the min, this is going to need to support avi and mpeg to be competitive. I don't think itunes in its current state would be a good way to organise video or work as a back end server for video. I think they should they should create a new simple app to do this which also has access to your itunes database and some database for your pics.

Not true at all. Prior to founding Roku, Mr. Anthony Wood developed a product called ReplayTV. Everyone thinks TiVo was the first DVR, but it wasn't. Anyhow, the latest and last hardware versions are networkable. There is software out there that allows you to download show files to your computer. These files are MPEG-2. I play these MPEG-2 files from iTunes and Front Row ALL THE TIME. What you need to play things like MPEG-2 from Quicktime (which iTunes uses) is the QuickTime MPEG-2 component which you have to pay $20 for.

Jon

neptune39

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:01 pm

Well my iTunes wont let me add .avi files to its database and those are the ones that I personally want to use, apologies for the wrong statement above but I still believe it needs to playback all files types without paying for some component like mpeg 2.

I also use frontrow/quicktime and it plays everything so I know it will be available to the iTV as long as itunes will let me add the files, that is if using itunes as a backend is the way they go.