Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

r111
Topic Author

HDHomeRun networked HD TV tuner - DONATE for Roku support!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:26 pm

THis is a new device that might be a great match to the HD1K. HDHomeRun is a networked with dual ATSC HD TV tuners and compatible with VLC and MythTV. I suspect that it streams the MPEG2 transport stream over HTTP and provides some sort of HTTP server to accept channel change requests.

Only $170! (shipping real soon now)
http://www.9thtee.com/hdhomerun.htm
User Forum (brand new so not much info yet...)
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

It seems MPLAY might have the basic guts to talk to this device and if The Endless and Marcelo3D were willing - this might pump (massive HD) life into our HD1K. If anyone is interested in pooling funds to buy one for the MPLAY dev team, I'll ante in with $25 (maybe more).
Last edited by r111 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgburns

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:56 am

It does sound interesting. One should be able to connect this up and some gui app on the PhotoBridge should be able to talk to it, send it tuning commands, etc. MPlay probably has the basics to decode/view the streams, but would probably need quite a bit to support the tuning capabilities, etc.

If Endless/Marcello/etc. commit to writing a PhotoBridge front-end for this thing, I'd contribute $25 too. Nearly 1/3 the way to buying one for them now.... :)
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:57 pm

It certainly looks interesting. I don't know that it would make much sense building support into MPlay, but a new application borrowing from the MPlay codebase seems realistic. I'd have to take a look at the API to control it, but would certainly be willing to give it a go if there is enough interest.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

hondo

Yes

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:59 pm

I would certaining be interested in this application.

Taking a poll ?

I vote yes

ggmorton

Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:58 pm

This looks cool. I will have to consider this in the future. I use 2 pcHDTV tuner cards already, but this would be a nice alternative.

leenuxg33k

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:02 pm

I vote yes! :-)

The code to control it looks very simple.. Even has example code to find the units on the network automatically

r111
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:21 pm

Looks like we may have a total of 4 who would donate $25. I think we are in the ballpark. I can kick a bit more in.

The Endless, are you still interested if we buy one and have is shipped to you? I understand you can not make any commitments. If you decide to not pursue this, I guess it could just be a gift to you for all your support over the years.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:40 pm

r111 wrote:
Looks like we may have a total of 4 who would donate $25. I think we are in the ballpark. I can kick a bit more in.

The Endless, are you still interested if we buy one and have is shipped to you? I understand you can not make any commitments. If you decide to not pursue this, I guess it could just be a gift to you for all your support over the years.

I'm still not really clear on the benefits of the thing, but I'd certainly be willing to take a stab at writing a PB client if you guys are excited enough to send me one.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

leenuxg33k

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:01 pm

TheEndless wrote:
r111 wrote:

I'm still not really clear on the benefits of the thing, but I'd certainly be willing to take a stab at writing a PB client if you guys are excited enough to send me one.

TheEndless

You're right if you have a normal HDTV TV. I happen to have an old fasioned NTSC box that does support 480i input via component. Anyway.. I don't have an HD tuner.. and I believe some people have HD sets without a tuner.. So its handy in these situations to be able to watch live HD or get the special PBS channels which I can't get over NTSC.

thats my reason anyway. :-)

r111
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:05 pm

HDHomeRun is a dual ATSC (and QAM in the near future) tuner that you can put where your antenna is and then stream native MPEG2 HD to your Roku. Some TV's dont have ATSC tuners and may not be in a place in your house where you can wire an ATSC antenna (but you do have a Roku and network). Seems like a cool idea and would be useful for two HD TVs in my house. BTW, QAM support will allow un-encrypted HD channels that may be provide by your cable TV provider to be tuned and watched via HDHomeRun. Since renting HD cable boxes are ~$9/month, there is some cost savings.

r111
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:10 pm

If you are interested in donating, please send me a personal email (click the PM button below). I'll collect the money and order a unit for delivery to The Endless.
I've been around here for years so hopfully you all can trust me.

Burkhardi

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:58 am

Looks like a Nitendo NES System, at least it did to me at first.
BTW, where are the HD outputs? On the side? I didn't see any in the picture.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

leenuxg33k

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:50 am

Burkhardi wrote:

The HDHomeRun is an input device only. It takes up to two coax feeds and tunes 8vsb,qam256 or qam64 and streams the resulting feed over the ethernet port via udp.

Burkhardi

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:53 am

leenuxg33k wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:

The HDHomeRun is an input device only. It takes up to two coax feeds and tunes 8vsb,qam256 or qam64 and streams the resulting feed over the ethernet port via udp.

Ok, I see now! Thanks, It could be a front end to the HD1000 per se.
Thanks again, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

dgburns

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
Ok, I see now! Thanks, It could be a front end to the HD1000 per se.

Yup. That's our point. You could connect this to your incoming cable line (or antenna feed) and with a proper application on the Roku you could "tune" it and watch live TV on your Roku.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2