Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Burkhardi

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:46 am

Gregavi wrote:
Hey Thanks Burkhardi. I solved the problem. It was firewalls. When I shut down my Zone Alarm FW I didn't realize the windows FW would startup automatically.

Thanks again.

GREAT NEWS! Dang firewalls....but you gotta have em. I assume after you got it to work, you let those ports or app through and re-enabled it?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Gregavi

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:41 am

No, I haven't. I've been reading about firewalls and it seems they are not really necessary when using a router because most routers provide an excellent firewall, including mine. While running my network this way, I tested it with ‘ShieldsUp’ and received good results,...at least I think I received good results. I haven't completely deciphered the results. I’m not sure I know how to. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again Burkhardi.
Samsung HL-S5087W 50" 1080p DLP HDTV
Earthquake Cinenova Amp
Parasound 2500u Pre/Pro
Klipsch La Scala (main)
Earthquake IW 8 in-wall (Rear)
Earthquake Supernova MKV12 (Subwoofer)
Roku Photobridge HD1000 (Rev B)
Panasonic BD30 Blu Ray

dgburns

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:55 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
Gregavi wrote:
Hey Thanks Burkhardi. I solved the problem. It was firewalls. When I shut down my Zone Alarm FW I didn't realize the windows FW would startup automatically.

Thanks again.

GREAT NEWS! Dang firewalls....but you gotta have em. I assume after you got it to work, you let those ports or app through and re-enabled it?

I wish I could get SlimRoku working again, but it's been months since it worked. I have Slimserver 6.5.4 on a Linux machine. My Soundbridge sees it fine and plays music. Even running Slim's own java player works from my WinXP machine. My SlimRoku sees it and plays music, but ALL the screen is essentially blank. The Linux install had a firewall but I completely removed it. I've followed all the troubleshooting in the SlimRoku FAQ to no avail. In SlimRoku, the music queue and Now Playing and cover art and etc. never show up. Not sure what's keeping it from working and I'm not Linux savvy enough to troubleshoot it. When I access the Slimserver via web interface (port 9000) cover art and sch all appear there just fine. SIGH
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

RhodesRunner

So glad I stopped by....

Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:29 am

It's amazing what you can learn when you're not sure what you're looking for.
:wink:
After a server crash, and a HD1000 power supply rebuild, I went to start SlimRoku and couldn't get it to work - the interface would display (after about 4 minutes), and trying to bring up the menu would send it crashing out to the CF card display, sometimes with leftovers of the SlimRoku interface. :?

So I've been playing around with this off and on for a couple of months now. Today I saw the comment about Windows automatically enabling its firewall when you disable a third party firewall (in my case, Norton 360). Sure enough, that was the problem. Jeez - I don't know if I can stand any more protection around here. It would have been nice if the system had at least provided a message telling me it had automagically enabled the Win firewall.... Is it possible to be so secure we can't access our own stuff?!"!

Anyway, thank you thank you thank you for putting my SlimRoku back in business! Make it a great one! :D
Mark

dgburns

Re: So glad I stopped by....

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:30 am

RhodesRunner wrote:
Is it possible to be so secure we can't access our own stuff?!"!

YUP. I forgot what I made my WPA key on my wireless setup so I'm having to restart and reconfigure all my wireless stuff. Bummer. Next time I must remember to right it down. Oh, wait, that wouldn't be very secure would it! ;)
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2