Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dj7675
Topic Author

Mplay .nfo builder suggestion

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:25 am

I use the file builder all of the time to get cover art and descriptions. IMDB is not very consistent on the quality and type of coverart used. I have another app that can pull the coverart from dvdempire.com. Their large view coverart is very nice. Since IMDB seems to be difficult to keep pulling the art from, you might take a look to see if you can pull it from dvdempire.com. Just a thought.

Darin

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Mplay .nfo builder suggestion

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:52 am

dj7675 wrote:
I use the file builder all of the time to get cover art and descriptions. IMDB is not very consistent on the quality and type of coverart used. I have another app that can pull the coverart from dvdempire.com. Their large view coverart is very nice. Since IMDB seems to be difficult to keep pulling the art from, you might take a look to see if you can pull it from dvdempire.com. Just a thought.

Darin

It's not actually being pulled from IMDB. It's being pulled from Amazon. Amazon provides a web service to retrieve that information which makes it much easier to retrieve. Do you know if DVDEmpire has a similar service, or would it require parsing the site myself? It took quite a bit of hacking to get the Amazon stuff working. I'd hate to have to go through that again :P

Also, can you give an example of what you mean by inconsistent? I've had really decent results for just about everything I've looked up.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dj7675
Topic Author

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:20 pm

I don't know if they have that kind of service or not. The artwork seems to have a different look to it sometimes. Some look like a DVD cover, where you can see the case, and don't really look like a dvd case but you just see the artwork (more like a movie poster look). It is probably just a preference of cover look that I prefer the dvdempire look. Not a big deal at all. Right now I if I don't get an image at all, or one I don't care for I just go to DVDempire. Thanks again for your work on the tool as I use it about every day. Not sure how the all my movies guys pull the data from there.

Thanks again.

Darin

dgburns

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:41 pm

I tend to get pictures for Mplay to use as cover art from impawards. I'd personally rather have a "poster" than a picture of a DVD case! :)
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

dj7675
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:47 pm

I have been using poster art quite a bit lately as well. Thanks for your suggestion. Great looking posters and quite a few choices as well to choose from. Will definately use them instead. Their standard size is 350 X 519. Is that a good size for MPlay, or should it be smaller?

Darin

CaminoFrancisco

Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:22 pm

Does the cover art automatically get saved? I don't think mine is...
Camino
HD1000 Rev "B"

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:32 am

CaminoFrancisco wrote:
Does the cover art automatically get saved? I don't think mine is...

No, you have to right click on the cover art and save it (or click and drag it) to the correct location with the correct name.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dgburns

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:06 am

dj7675 wrote:
Their standard size is 350 X 519. Is that a good size for MPlay, or should it be smaller?

According to Endless in another thread, the spatial resolution doesn't matter, it's the file size. The cover art file must be less than 200k. If you are working from a Windows box, that means the size reported in Windows Explorer should be 194k or less.

The posters from impawards often save as jpg's bigger than that. I just right-click, edit, they come up in Paint, and I just hit save. This often brings them down enough in size. Sometimes you have to use Image...Stretch/Skew, and put in something like 90 or 80 percent "stretch" both horizontally and vertically to get the size below the magic 200k. I KNOW there's much better photo editing apps than MS Paint, but Paint is free and comes with every Windows machine.

For content that doesn't have a poster on impawards, I use Media Player Classic to create a "thumbnail" multi-image jpg. I've been using a 4 columns and 2 rows setup with a size of 720 and 99% of the time the result is under the magic 200k. I picked this setup as a tradeoff between the various MPlay art display areas, and I use a default view mode of icons=Large in a folder.cfg in those directories. Works great (for me at least) and though it doesn't come with Windows, it IS free.
Last edited by dgburns on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

dgburns

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:51 am

dgburns wrote:
I've been using a 4 columns and 2 rows setup with a size of 720 and 99% of the time the result is under the magic 200k.

and the more I think about this the more I'm tending towards a smaller size. I think that would help MPlay responsiveness, as bringing up the browse list when there are lots of files and lots of jpg's to load is pretty slow. Smaller jpg's would probably help. I'm playing with a 4x2 grid @ 360 now and Mplay seems a bit "snappier".

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2