Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Keith A
Topic Author

Last Try

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:24 am

Hi, I have a HD1000, I believe it is version A but I am not sure how to tell. The unit isnt very useful without the use of third party apps. I am very thankful for Mplay and SlimRoku. The problem I have is with stability. I cant seem to get any 3rd party app to work consistently. My Roku locks up very often causing a need to hard boot. I have a compact flash card with the proper files on it to create the swapfile which I do each time the unit is restarted. I have been looking into replacing the unit with something different but nothing seems to have the nice GUI like mplay and slimroku. Is there anything that I can do to improve stability?

Burkhardi

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:57 am

If it was a RevB, it would say so on the bottom of the unit like here(click me)

Are you running a swap file?

What firmware are you using V2.0.35?

If you don't run a swap file, it will help a lot with your REVA unit
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Keith A
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:02 pm

It doesnt say REV B. I have the files for the swap file on a compact flash and run it each time I reboot. I am running version 2.0.36.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:58 pm

Keith A wrote:
It doesnt say REV B. I have the files for the swap file on a compact flash and run it each time I reboot. I am running version 2.0.36.

The locking up sounds very much like a memory issue. Can you verify that the swap file is actually being used? Under Setup->System Information, it should say if you're using a swap file and what size it is.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

zephyr

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:44 pm

I had a similar problem with the latest firmware. I reverted from the 2.0.36 to the 2.0.34 firware and things worked much better for me. Why? I don't know.

Keith A
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:32 am

TheEndless wrote:
Keith A wrote:

The locking up sounds very much like a memory issue. Can you verify that the swap file is actually being used? Under Setup->System Information, it should say if you're using a swap file and what size it is.

TheEndless

I verified that the swap file is in use, it stated it was 44 MB. Should I do a reset or something. Could the shares I automatically mount cause the problem? I have a ReadyNAS NV which is over 800 GB. I am having a problem with my shares as well, I get a message saying bad username/password or something when I attempt to mount a USB drive that is shared and connected to my PC. I have no problems when the drive is internal. Mplay seems to crash when I attempt to browse to a folder with alot of files in it. It seems it happens more often when ISO's are present. Are there ISO's that are not compatible with Mplay? I have not tried to add art to either slimroku or Mplay, havent tried the nfo thing either. I would love to try it out, where is a good place to get info on how to do it?

Thanks