Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

NEW! TVPlay v.01 - HDHomeRun Client for the Roku PhotoBridge

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:45 pm

Ok, here's my first pass at TVPlay...

The first time you run the application, it will scan for channels on both HDHomeRun tuners. This initial scan can take a long time (it took about 15 minutes for me). If you know you don't have 8VSB, QAM64, or QAM256 channels, you can specify -No8VSB, -NoQAM64, or -NoQAM256 on the command line, to prevent scanning for those modulations (?).

Once scanning is complete, it should automatically tune to the first station. Press Zoom In and Zoom Out on the remote to change channels. Press Rotate to change the zoom mode (Zoom mode is remember for each station).

Channel scanning generates a channels.tv file in the same folder as the application. You can edit this file manually, if you want. The order of the channels in that file determines the order in which they are available in the application. A "#" at the beginning of a line indicates that that file is disabled. An "@" indicates the current channel (the channel the application will start on). The first line of the file lists what each column means. Deleting the file and re-launching the application will initiate a new channel scan.

Disclaimer: This is very much an alpha release, so you can expect random crashes (which may or may not require reboots).

You can download TVPlay here: http://www.permanence.com/TVPlay/files/TVPlay_v01.zip

Try it out and let me know what you think! All feedback is welcome...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

leenuxg33k

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:24 am

Hmm I only see this in the zip file..

-bash-3.00$ unzip -l TVPlay_v01.zip 
Archive:  TVPlay_v01.zip
  Length     Date   Time    Name
 --------    ----   ----    ----
        0  11-12-06 01:30   TVPlay.roku
     4420  11-12-06 00:48   TVPlay.roku.png
 --------                   -------
     4420                   2 files

I'm looking forward to trying it ! :-)

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:29 am

leenuxg33k wrote:
Hmm I only see this in the zip file..

-bash-3.00$ unzip -l TVPlay_v01.zip 
Archive:  TVPlay_v01.zip
  Length     Date   Time    Name
 --------    ----   ----    ----
        0  11-12-06 01:30   TVPlay.roku
     4420  11-12-06 00:48   TVPlay.roku.png
 --------                   -------
     4420                   2 files

I'm looking forward to trying it ! :-)

Yikes.. that's not right (right file, wrong size). I've updated the zip file. Must have been a sharing violation when I zipped it. Sorry about that.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

leenuxg33k

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:19 am

Sweet!! Its working great for me! Pretty flower good for Alpha!

I'll be making my second paypal donation to you! :-)

How much would I have to donate to convince you to work on the Myth Frontend code?
;-)

r111

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:54 pm

Warning, the zip file contents seem to have reverted to containing only:
TVPlay.roku 11-12-06 01:30
TVPlay.roku.png 11-12-06 00:48

Waiting breathlessly to try this new toy :D

Bgrubb1

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:28 pm

Endless
Incredible Alpha code. Works great for me.
..Barry

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:39 pm

r111 wrote:
Warning, the zip file contents seem to have reverted to containing only:
TVPlay.roku 11-12-06 01:30
TVPlay.roku.png 11-12-06 00:48

Waiting breathlessly to try this new toy :D

Those are the correct files. The problem with the original zip was the .roku file had a zero byte size. If you're expecing a .app file, there isn't one in this build, I compiled directly to the TVPlay.roku file.

If you're still seeing a zero byte size, then try clearing the cache in your browser.

TheEndless

r111

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:09 pm

My bad on the zip file question.

Got it up and running! Very nice! Amazing how many digital OTH (over the air) channels are available now. Also picked up quite a few QAM channels on my Time Warner cable TV. Your implementation is pretty good right now. Would like a way to switch tuners (and their associated channels) easily. Direct channel entry would be nice - Roku really made a mistake in not supporting numeric input (0 - 9).

Thank you very much - donation is on it's way.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:27 pm

leenuxg33k wrote:
I'll be making my second paypal donation to you! :-)
r111 wrote:
Thank you very much - donation is on it's way.

Thanks, guys. I'm working on setting up a website for TVPlay. In the meantime, if you want to make a donation, please use the Donate link on the SlimRoku site.

Thanks!

TheEndless

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:36 pm

r111 wrote:
Your implementation is pretty good right now. Would like a way to switch tuners (and their associated channels) easily. Direct channel entry would be nice - Roku really made a mistake in not supporting numeric input (0 - 9).

I'm planning on a favorites feature, and a way to change to a channel without having to cycle through all of the channels in between... maybe a pop-up menu that allows you to select between All Channels, Tuner 0, Tuner 1, and Favorites. What do you envision? What other features would you guys like to see?

TheEndless

davilla

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:12 pm

How about tuner choice. I run tuner 0 free and tuner 1 dedicated to MythTV access so I would like to limit TVPlay to just tuner 0 and leave tuner 1 alone.

Scott

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:53 pm

davilla wrote:
How about tuner choice. I run tuner 0 free and tuner 1 dedicated to MythTV access so I would like to limit TVPlay to just tuner 0 and leave tuner 1 alone.

Scott

That's certainly possible. I actually almost put a command-line option in for that. For now, you can edit the channels.tv file and remove all of the tuner 1 lines (tuner is the second column in the file).

TheEndless

Bgrubb1

Tuner Setup

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:59 pm

Endless
If you are going to create code to segregate tuners, how about including ability to assign a tuner (one only) to a particular MAC address Photobridge ?? As it is today, if you are watching ATSC on one Photobridge, and you launch on a second photbridge. the first crashes, second works fine. In my particular example. there is very little non-encrypted QAM256 digital cable content, I would probably prefer to spit the OTA ATSC to both tuners to allow 2 sessions (thats assuming that the unit could support 2 sessions)
..Barry

TheEndless
Topic Author

Re: Tuner Setup

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:47 pm

Bgrubb1 wrote:
Endless
If you are going to create code to segregate tuners, how about including ability to assign a tuner (one only) to a particular MAC address Photobridge ?? As it is today, if you are watching ATSC on one Photobridge, and you launch on a second photbridge. the first crashes, second works fine. In my particular example. there is very little non-encrypted QAM256 digital cable content, I would probably prefer to spit the OTA ATSC to both tuners to allow 2 sessions (thats assuming that the unit could support 2 sessions)
..Barry

What if, instead of assigning a tuner to a particular PhotoBridge, I tested to see if a tuner is in use before switching to it? That would be considerably easier to pull off and prevent other clients (MythTV, VLC, etc.) from causing problems as well.

TheEndless

Bgrubb1

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:54 pm

What if, instead of assigning a tuner to a particular PhotoBridge, I ested to see if a tuner is in use before switching to it? That would be considerably easier to pull off and prevent other clients (MythTV, VLC, etc.) from causing problems as well.

I think that would work. Does the unit have the ability to have one tuner playing to one IP stack and the other to a different ??