Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Bgrubb1

Audio Drop outs

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:57 pm

I seemed to experience a few audio drops today as well, has anyone else seen this ?? Basically audio went away, changing the channel brought it back and returning to the original channel made it all good again
..Barry

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: Audio Drop outs

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:10 pm

Bgrubb1 wrote:
What if, instead of assigning a tuner to a particular PhotoBridge, I ested to see if a tuner is in use before switching to it? That would be considerably easier to pull off and prevent other clients (MythTV, VLC, etc.) from causing problems as well.

I think that would work. Does the unit have the ability to have one tuner playing to one IP stack and the other to a different ??

edit: Ignore me, I shouldn't post after midnight.. :p The correct answer is...

Each tuner can stream to a single target IP, so it's possible to have tuner 0 stream to one IP and tuner 1 stream to a completely different IP.
There is an enhancement request filed to add multicast support, but it is not currently possible to stream a single tuner to multiple IPs (hence the crash when you try to tune your second PhotoBridge into the same tuner as your first).

Bgrubb1 wrote:
I seemed to experience a few audio drops today as well, has anyone else seen this ?? Basically audio went away, changing the channel brought it back and returning to the original channel made it all good again
..Barry

This is where the "alpha" bit comes in... ;)

Since we're dealing with live streams, it's entirely possible there was a glitch in the stream, and TVPlay didn't know how to recover from it. I can add a manual re-sync mechanism (Pause-Pause) to attempt to recover from situations like this, but I'm not sure how to recover from it on the fly...

It's also possible, since we're streaming live video over the network, that some packets were dropped, or we overran the buffer. The same "solution" would apply in this case...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dgburns

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:50 am

Just something to consider....

Are multiple HDHR's supported? I can see this impacting the initial startup. Maybe a dialog or something once TVPlay finds HDHR's but before it does the channel scanning, saying "I found these HDHR's", and let the user select which one (or ones) and how many tuners of each to scan. Also at startup you may want to consider checking again (in case someone added another) and somehow also asking the user if he/she wishes to rescan channels (and of course then asking on which HDHR and which tuners). MY cable company moves their channels all over the place, frequently.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

waynedunham

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 am

How about some screenshots for those of us who don't have an HD HomeRun (YET!!)? :)
Wayne Dunham

TheEndless
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 am

waynedunham wrote:
How about some screenshots for those of us who don't have an HD HomeRun (YET!!)? :)

There's nothing to take a screenshot of. It's literally just live TV streamed to the PhotoBridge, with the ability to change channels. There isn't really any UI at the moment.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

davilla

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:57 pm

For us pure off the air ATSC guys, could you increase the delay before bailing to the next channel when changing channels.

On some of my channel changes, TVPlay will skip to the next channel. Backing up to the desired channel will tune it, so I'm assuming there's a timeout delay when changing channels to get a good signal.

Thanks
Scott

TheEndless
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:16 pm

davilla wrote:
For us pure off the air ATSC guys, could you increase the delay before bailing to the next channel when changing channels.

On some of my channel changes, TVPlay will skip to the next channel. Backing up to the desired channel will tune it, so I'm assuming there's a timeout delay when changing channels to get a good signal.

Thanks
Scott

Hrmm.. it's supposed to wait for 5 seconds to receive a stream from the HDHomeRun before advancing to the next channel. Does it change sooner than that for you, or does it actually take longer than that to tune the station?

TheEndless

waynedunham

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:26 am

TheEndless wrote:
There's nothing to take a screenshot of. It's literally just live TV streamed to the PhotoBridge, with the ability to change channels. There isn't really any UI at the moment.

TheEndless

Ahh ok, thanks. I get it, no UI, it just goes to the output from the HDHR and allows you to change channels. :?
Wayne Dunham

TheEndless
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:08 am

waynedunham wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

TheEndless

Ahh ok, thanks. I get it, no UI, it just goes to the output from the HDHR and allows you to change channels. :?

Why the :?? Were you expecting something else?

TheEndless

davilla

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:22 am

The sequence is like this. Change to channel, you see the new channel listed, then a second later it will sequence to the next channel and that will tune. Backup a channel and then the channel that was skipped will tune.

I've not run TVPlay from the command line to see if there are any output messages. That's next on the list but I have to setup for it (getting access to the TV for debugging).

TheEndless
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:56 am

davilla wrote:
The sequence is like this. Change to channel, you see the new channel listed, then a second later it will sequence to the next channel and that will tune. Backup a channel and then the channel that was skipped will tune.

I've not run TVPlay from the command line to see if there are any output messages. That's next on the list but I have to setup for it (getting access to the TV for debugging).

Are you using a Rev A, by any chance? I tested on my Rev A last night and saw similar behavior. It doesn't seem to happen on my Rev B, though.

TheEndless

waynedunham

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:55 pm

TheEndless wrote:
waynedunham wrote:

TheEndless

I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't know if there was some type of onscreen UI for setup of channels (QAM/OTA/etc) and any options for TvPlay.
Wayne Dunham

davilla

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:33 pm

yes, rev A running 2.0.35 with 64MB swap on a 128MB CF.

TheEndless
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:13 pm

waynedunham wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
waynedunham wrote:

TheEndless

I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't know if there was some type of onscreen UI for setup of channels (QAM/OTA/etc) and any options for TvPlay.

Ahh.. I see. Currently it automatically scans for channels and will give them friendly names if the data is present in the stream. I've only had the HDHomeRun for a little over a week, so this is a very early pass. More features, including channel management, are in the works.

TheEndless

dgburns

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:01 pm

TheEndless wrote:
More features, including channel management, are in the works.

Is there a "Feature Request" thread started somewhere yet? Would let you track? Probably best to be on your site, not here?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2