Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:58 pm

dgburns wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
More features, including channel management, are in the works.

Is there a "Feature Request" thread started somewhere yet? Would let you track? Probably best to be on your site, not here?

Good idea. I've added a new feature request forum here: http://www.permanence.com/roku/forums/D ... =forum&c=5

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Bgrubb1

TVPlay 0.1 issue

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Endless, once again, phenomenal "Alpha" code.
That said, I intermittently see an issue that I do not see reported in the forum. I will be watching a HD show via TVPlay and have a video/audio freeze that is only recoverable via re-boot.... BUT
Channel up/down still works as far as showing the channel change, with the still frozen audio/video from the original freeze. I only have Rev A boxes , all with swapfiles. Is it just me ???
..Barry

r111

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:47 pm

Haven't seen that behavior Barry. Perhaps that happens with a signal that is marginal? Have you seen it on multiple channels or just one?

Bgrubb1

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:14 pm

So far, I have only confirmed on one channel (local NBC HD feed). Am running another channel to see if I can replicate
..Barry

Bgrubb1

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:58 pm

I have been experimenting with this video freeze thing. It happens most frequently on one channel, but also occurs on others. When it hangs, video is frozen, but channel up / down changes the display (channel display) without fixing the video hang. I have also experienced VLC having an intermittent "Serious Error" and crashing, so it may be from the HDHomerun, but I would think others would have seen it. Any other ideas for me to try ???
..Barry

leenuxg33k

Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:03 pm

Are you running mythtv with the HDHomeRun as well? I ask because I forgot that I had Myth setup to EIT crawl my channels.. So even though I wasn't recording a channel in Myth it was pulling the HDHomeRun away from TVPlay every few minutes.

SEM

Re: NEW! TVPlay v.01 - HDHomeRun Client for the Roku PhotoBr

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:37 pm

TheEndless wrote:

Channel scanning generates a channels.tv file in the same folder as the application.

I put the application in a folder called "TVPlay" on a CF card. The app runs fine but does not create a channels.tv file in that folder. Consequently, each time I run the program, it rescans for channels. Permissions problem? How do I change it? Not a unix guy...

Thanks

SEM

TheEndless
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:16 am

SEM wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

Channel scanning generates a channels.tv file in the same folder as the application.

I put the application in a folder called "TVPlay" on a CF card. The app runs fine but does not create a channels.tv file in that folder. Consequently, each time I run the program, it rescans for channels. Permissions problem? How do I change it? Not a unix guy...

Thanks

SEM

Yeah, unfortunately the CF card is mounted as read-only by default, so the channels.tv file can't be written there without remounting it. If you issue the following command via telnet, it should work:
mount /dev/ide0/host0/bus0/target0/lun0 /mnt/flash1 -orw,remount

I'll add an option to specify a different location for the channels file in the next version.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

SEM

Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:29 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately the CF card is mounted as read-only by default, so the channels.tv file can't be written there without remounting it. If you issue the following command via telnet, it should work:
mount /dev/ide0/host0/bus0/target0/lun0 /mnt/flash1 -orw,remount

I'll add an option to specify a different location for the channels file in the next version.

TheEndless

Thanks, That worked! It would be good to have TVPlay store the channels.tv file either on CF or internal to the Roku such that one doesn't need a server running just for the channels.tv file.

Steve

Bgrubb1

Rev A issues ??

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Endless
I know you mentioned buffers with Rev A boxes, could there be a memory leak as well ?? I have now determined that there are 2 different hangs I see with MplayTV, one where the video freezes - no audio and channel change shows the channels changing without actually doing it. A second hang appears the same, but channel change results in bombing back to the UI and attempting to launch again returns to UI / requires reboot. I also have noticed if I run channels for an extended period, I occasionally get a flickering (freeze, not mpeg breakup) that channel up / down seems to repair. Running with VLC causes a VLC error every couple of days, but no audio loss of video stuttering. Will try running overnight tonight on a digital cable channel to see if there is any change
..Barry

TheEndless
Topic Author

Re: Rev A issues ??

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:29 pm

Bgrubb1 wrote:
Endless
I know you mentioned buffers with Rev A boxes, could there be a memory leak as well ?? I have now determined that there are 2 different hangs I see with MplayTV, one where the video freezes - no audio and channel change shows the channels changing without actually doing it. A second hang appears the same, but channel change results in bombing back to the UI and attempting to launch again returns to UI / requires reboot. I also have noticed if I run channels for an extended period, I occasionally get a flickering (freeze, not mpeg breakup) that channel up / down seems to repair. Running with VLC causes a VLC error every couple of days, but no audio loss of video stuttering. Will try running overnight tonight on a digital cable channel to see if there is any change
..Barry

It's entirely possible there's a memory leak. It looks like jafa is finally slowing down on his firmware/API updates, so hopefully I can put together a new release sometime this week/weekend.

TheEndless

waynedunham

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:02 pm

Any news on a new version of TVPlay?

For some reason it doesn't seem to like the 12/17 firmware. At least it isn't writing out a new channels.tv file when doing a scan.

Actually that's only partially true. It does generate the blank channels.tv file with all the headers (Display name etc) saying what each field represents, but doesn't put any channel info in the file.
So every time I try to run TVPlay it goes through the whole channel scan again.

So either it's not "seeing" any channels (I get over 25 using the GUI Manager and VLC) or maybe something has changed in how the HDHR talks to TVPlay.
I did notice in the latest version of the HDHR GUI that it no longer has Qam64 and Qam256, but now has Qam and QAM HDR.
Wayne Dunham

TheEndless
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:23 pm

waynedunham wrote:

For some reason it doesn't seem to like the 12/17 firmware. At least it isn't writing out a new channels.tv file when doing a scan.

Actually that's only partially true. It does generate the blank channels.tv file with all the headers (Display name etc) saying what each field represents, but doesn't put any channel info in the file.
So every time I try to run TVPlay it goes through the whole channel scan again.

So either it's not "seeing" any channels (I get over 25 using the GUI Manager and VLC) or maybe something has changed in how the HDHR talks to TVPlay.
I did notice in the latest version of the HDHR GUI that it no longer has Qam64 and Qam256, but now has Qam and QAM HDR.

With all of the firmware and libhdhomerun updates lately, I'm pretty much having to start over from scratch. The good news is that the majority of the channel scan is now done in the firmware, so it should be much faster. The bad news about that is that I spent nearly a full week on writing that code *sigh*.. oh well, it was a good learning experience. Either way, I am working on it, and will hopefully have an update available soon. Sorry for the long delay between releases...

TheEndless

waynedunham

Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:09 pm

TheEndless wrote:
With all of the firmware and libhdhomerun updates lately, I'm pretty much having to start over from scratch. The good news is that the majority of the channel scan is now done in the firmware, so it should be much faster. The bad news about that is that I spent nearly a full week on writing that code *sigh*.. oh well, it was a good learning experience. Either way, I am working on it, and will hopefully have an update available soon. Sorry for the long delay between releases...

TheEndless

Thanks for the update. Here's hoping that with the addition of the firmware scan that it will be easier to code.
Wayne Dunham

ddl

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:52 pm

waynedunham wrote:

Is the older HDHR firmware available anywhere? My units came
with firmware too new for TVPlay and I'd like to at least see it
run for a while. :)