Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jwhite
Topic Author

TV show on Roku TV channel but not on Roku stick

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:03 am

We've been watching the "Most Haunted" TV series on Roku's channel via our Roku stick 3. Then suddenly it was no longer available. And does not turn up on a search. Gone!

However, we found MH is still available and accessible on our Roku smart TV.

Why? Are some Roku devices limited?

***We like watching MH at night in our bedroom on our Roku stick 3. And want to keep our Roku TV downstairs. Switching TVs is not possible.

DBDukes

Re: TV show on Roku TV channel but not on Roku stick

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 am

jwhite wrote:
We've been watching the "Most Haunted" TV series on Roku's channel via our Roku stick 3. Then suddenly it was no longer available. And does not turn up on a search. Gone!

However, we found MH is still available and accessible on our Roku smart TV.

Why? Are some Roku devices limited?

***We like watching MH at night in our bedroom on our Roku stick 3. And want to keep our Roku TV downstairs. Switching TVs is not possible.

First, clarify what device you're using. There is a Roku 3, and a Roku Stick. There is no Roku Stick 3. That doesn't exist.

The model number is helpful information when troubleshooting a device, as is the software and build (never say "latest" always list exactly).
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jwhite
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Ok, I'll post the model# when I get a chance. But is that the case that different Roku devices might or might not allow access to a particular tv show or movie?

jwhite
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:52 pm

The steaming stick is model # 3600x. Software 9.0.0, build 4114-24. The program we want is now not available on this device. But was available a week or two back.

But the show is available on our Roku tv, model # 7301x, Insignia NS-43DR620NA18. Software version 8.2.0, build 4170-31

DBDukes

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:29 pm

jwhite wrote:
The steaming stick is model # 3600x. Software 9.0.0, build 4114-24. The program we want is now not available on this device. But was available a week or two back.

But the show is available on our Roku tv, model # 7301x, Insignia NS-43DR620NA18. Software version 8.2.0, build 4170-31

I also have the model 3600 Stick. I’ll be home later tonight and attempt to replicate the issue.

I have other Roku devices, and will check those too. That, along with data from other users may help work to an answer, or confirmation of an issue.

I’ve also requested Mods move this to the Roku General Forum, as that would be the appropriate location for this. (moved)
Last edited by DBDukes on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jwhite
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Ok, thank you. It will be interesting to see if you have the same results.

DBDukes

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:44 pm

jwhite wrote:
Ok, thank you. It will be interesting to see if you have the same results.

Not only is it not appearing in search on the 3600 Stick, but it's not found on the Premiere+ (3921) or Roku's top of the line Ultra (4660; identical to the 4661). Whether or not this means that the separate devices (boxes and sticks) have a condensed catalog from the Roku TV devices, or if this means they updated the catalog sooner than the Roku TV -- meaning the show will roll off Roku TV soon -- I can't say. But, what you're experiencing is widespread, and not specific to the Stick.

Content rolls on and off The Roku Channel often, usually around the first of the month -- this is later than usual unless you just haven't noticed -- like it does on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and other services. It may simply be that the content will disappear from the Roku TV when it gets an update. I suspect this isn't a bug, unless the Roku TV not updating is the real issue.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

tim1607

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:08 am

JWhite:

Just out of curiosity, are the channels the same on the devices that do show it? 
I have done a search and found it (assuming this is the BBC show that has been on since 2002) on Amazon Prime (with prime membership) and on Filmrise.
There has never been a mention of the show being on a specific network when the show is found. I have checked this on both a 4630X Roku Premier+ and a 3800 Streaming Stick.  They both show it as being available using the main system search, but it doesn't show on the Roku Channel. 
I know that shows sometimes change the channels that they can be seen on, unless they are original content.  Could it be that the channel that it's being shown on has changed?  When searching is it with the global search on the main Roku page, or is it using the Roku channel search?
Just a thought.

jwhite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:29 am

Interesting, thanks DBDukes. Not the answer I wanted. But I'm guessing you're right and our Roku TV will finally loose the show.

Hey Tim, I only have one device, the Roku TV that still as of 02/22/19 is still showing Most Haunted (the BBC show.) 
If I do a global search from Roku's main menu I only see that Amazon has the show. So thanks for the Filmrise tip, I'l go give that a try.
On my Roku TV, where I still have the MH series, I was going to check to see if it showed up on the Roku channel search, but my search isn't working, and doesn't show up, at all. And in the top right corner it says press * for options, but that feature doesn't work either. So ... it's kind of the Old West out there for now I guess. There's plenty of little bugs and quirks going around. But at least for now thanks to your Filmrise tip we've got our show back :)   (Although after checking the search on Filmrise is pretty flaky as well. Most Haunted turns up if you search for it on Filmrise, but it doesn't list the Show's name, just the location they visited on that segment. But at least that works.)

DBDukes

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 am

jwhite wrote:
... Roku TV that still as of 02/22/19 is still showing Most Haunted (the BBC show.) ...

I see your TARDIS is working at least. Good to know that in 11 days, it'll still be streaming on Roku TV.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

DBDukes

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 am

jwhite wrote:
...On my Roku TV, where I still have the MH series, I was going to check to see if it showed up on the Roku channel search, but my search isn't working, and doesn't show up, at all.

When you say "search isn't working" do you actually mean that, or that this particular show didn't return any results. Because those are two different things. What do you mean, "isn't working?" At all? No search returns anything? This may be indicative of some other issue, and may be important.
jwhite wrote:
And in the top right corner it says press * for options, but that feature doesn't work either.

That always shows. What's key is if it's grayed out or in regular text. If grayed out, then no, it won't work. If it's not grayed out, then there's an issue. It's supposed to work. This, combined with what your answer is on "search isn't working" may indicate some other issue.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)