Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dwsteyn
Topic Author

Change SW from Pinnavle to Roku?

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:08 am

I made the mistake of buying a pinnacle branded soundbridge. As you know it does not work with iTunes DAAP services as it's music server. I got Firfly working but don't like to use so many services and would like to change my M1001's SW to that of Roku instead of Pinnacle. How do I do that?

SydneyGuy

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:38 pm

You can't. The Pinnacle devices are not licenced to use the Roku software (blame Apple I think) and therefore you cannot install the Roku version of the firmware. No doubt the hardware is probably capable of running it but the rules of this forum forbid the discussion of such topics.

I do wonder about ongoing support for Pinnacle branded devices now that Pinnacle have dropped them as a product. Hopefully when firmware updates for the Roku M1001 come out they will also make Pinnacle versions available as well.

Wondercow

Re: Change SW from Pinnavle to Roku?

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 pm

dwsteyn wrote:
I ... would like to change my M1001's SW to that of Roku instead of Pinnacle. How do I do that?

SydneyGuy wrote:
The Pinnacle devices are not licenced to use the Roku software (blame Apple I think) and therefore you cannot install the Roku version of the firmware.

I do wonder about ongoing support for Pinnacle branded devices ... Hopefully when firmware updates for the Roku M1001 come out they will also make Pinnacle versions available as well.

dwsteyn, as SydneyGuy said, you cannot do anything to change your unit's inability to use iTunes. Pinnacle doesn't have a license from Apple to use it. However, the rest of SydneyGuy's post is wrong. There is no separate "Pinnacle software" and "Roku software". The software is exactly the same and all firmware updates for both Pinnacle and Roku Soundbridges come from Roku. I'd imagine what keeps the Pinnacle units from using iTunes is an extra chip (or code on a chip common to both) that tells the firmware "I'm a Pinnacle unit; I can't use iTunes".
Last edited by Wondercow on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

wideasleep1

Re: Change SW from Pinnavle to Roku?

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:28 pm

dwsteyn wrote:
I made the mistake of buying a pinnacle branded soundbridge. As you know it does not work with iTunes DAAP services as it's music server. I got Firfly working but don't like to use so many services and would like to change my M1001's SW to that of Roku instead of Pinnacle. How do I do that?

But the beauty of Firefly is that you don't have to run resource-hogging iTunes to make SB's play...navigation (if you could test between them) is snappier with Firefly. Many that CAN use iTunes still prefer Firefly for these reasons.

Yes..there's a flag set on Pinnacle units that remove DAAP capability..it's unknown whether it's software/hardware set, it remains unhacked as far as I know.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!