Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

GaryJ73167
Topic Author

Forcing 3.5 MBPS Streaming

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I have (what I think) is probably a stupid question. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with this.

Since I got my Roku box, I have been pretty happy with it. Amazon ALWAYS gives me my HD content without any issues, however, I dont have the same feeling about netflix streaming in HD (unfortunately).

Sometimes it will stream a movie in HD all the way through. Sometimes, i will get the first 15 minutes in HD, then, it will stop, re-buffer, and for the remainder of the movie, it streams 4 dots. Other times, it wont do HD at all. (Keep in mind that during any one of these times, Amazon HD works flawlessly).

I have a very solid cable connection at my house, and, as stated before, have no problem with Amazon HD streaming.

So, I stumbled upon a post here about going into "Debug mode" and choosing the speed in which you want to stream.
I chose 3.5 MBPS. Now, it takes the movie a good 4 minutes to load (which I expected).

My question is, if I keep it at this setting, does that pretty much guarantee me that the movie wont re-buffer in the middle and jump back to 4 dots?

I mean, I honestly dont mind waiting the extra time at the beginning of the movie for the buffer to fill up, if it means that I am going to enjoy my movie without interruption.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Gary

DoomsDay

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:09 am

It can not guarantee that it wont rebuffer, but forcing a particular stream will make it try to rebuffer at the same speed.

Just as an fyi, you posted this in the general roku forums. There is a specific forum for the roku netflix box called roku digital media player general discussion.