Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

alanmc

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:03 pm

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our server. We are working to resolve the problem and will have the server back up as soon as possible.

Well that message was a surprise for me to see when I checked the RadioRoku Home Page this morning . . . .
Forgive me, but why has it taken 2 years for such a service-notification to be posted when Server issues arise? Still, better late than never :wink:

wordguy

FIRST ENTRY: RADIO ROKU EPITAPH CONTEST

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 am

HERE LIES RADIO ROKU: SO WONDERFULLY CONCEIVED, SO POORLY EXECUTED.

Rootgar

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm

I think the produkt/service is dead... :-(

Hopefully they provide the firmware code as open source, so someone can made something with it...

Hmm maybe i should sell them as soon as possible...

Greetings,
Rootgar
Router: AVM FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7170 (UI), 29.04.57
I-net: 16Mbit down/1024kbit up
Streaming:Pinnacle Soundbridge M1001 FW: 3.0.52
, HomeMusic FW: 3.0.52
Connection WLAN WPA2 // Analog Audio
Amplifier: Yamaha RX-V457

dupondt

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Rootgar,

Hopefully they provide the firmware code as open source, so someone can made something with it...

Roku are in no position to open-source the firmware, as major parts of the software are owned by Analog Devices, the manufacturer of the Blackfin board.

I don't think this is the best moment to sell a SoundBridge :wink:

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

wordguy

As I Listen to Live365 (which works fine, thanks) I wonder..

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Greetings, Dupondt.

You have been especially helpful with respect to your postings on this site, and appear to know a great deal about the Roku company and its technology. Perhaps you can answer some questions that I think I am not alone in wondering about: How can what appeared to be world beating technology and concept have been handled with such monumental ineptitude that it (apparently) rests on the health of one server that craps out pretty routinely?

Is there simply no money to be made here, and will the Soundbridge disappear? Or is Roku simply a company that is that poorly run? Believe me, these are serious questions. Roku has succeeded in making an addict of me (OTR) and if I am to change technologies, guess I'd better get on with it ASAP.

Many thanks,

wordguy

dupondt wrote:
Rootgar,

Roku are in no position to open-source the firmware, as major parts of the software are owned by Analog Devices, the manufacturer of the Blackfin board.

I don't think this is the best moment to sell a SoundBridge :wink:

Greetings
dupondt

andyg

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm sure Dupondt will have his own input to add, but

How can what appeared to be world beating technology and concept have been handled with such monumental ineptitude that it (apparently) rests on the health of one server that craps out pretty routinely?

For anyone who has owned Roku M & R products for any length of time, unfortunately we have seen a demise in customer support, R&D, and meaningful input from Roku's staff. They are in effect legacy products. One might say that forums are there for the users, not the developers/tech engineers, though this was not always the case and there used to be a fantastic dialogue between certain Roku engineers andthe user base. Sadly, no longer the case and the writing is and has been, for some time, on the wall...

Is there simply no money to be made here

RokuAnthony's (the CEO) post here answers this one (or not...) scroll down a couple of posts

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=20806&highlight=

if I am to change technologies, guess I'd better get on with it ASAP.

Yes, plenty other choices out there if you do your homework.

(weirdest part of all, Anthony Wood is the man who came up with the original concept for what became Dreamweaver - before it WAS Dreamweaver, which was THEN bought by Adobe. http://tinyurl.com/yc5use6 Makes you mad...) :cry:
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

jscott

Re: FIRST ENTRY: RADIO ROKU EPITAPH CONTEST

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:57 pm

wordguy wrote:
HERE LIES RADIO ROKU: SO WONDERFULLY CONCEIVED, SO POORLY EXECUTED.

HERE LIES RADIO ROKU: RAID 1 IS NOT THE SAME AS A BACKUP

amdb7

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:33 pm

My goodness there are a lot of whiners about Radio Roku and the fact that they had a hardware failure. May I point out a few things:

1. The SoundBridge devices can access your music server all day long playing your music library without any requirement for Radio Roku.

2. The SoundBridge allows you to store 16 radio stations in its presets, without any requirement for Radio Roku.

3. Radio Roku is being provided as a FREE service...no monthly BS, no per-song BS, and a nice selection of thousands of radio stations.

4. You have the ability to save your Radio Roku favorites in a number of ways, including taking a pencil and paper and writing down the URLs of your favorite stations. Then, you have the ability to store 16 of those stations as presets into your SoundBridge.

5. If you need a big selection of radio stations to choose from when Radio Roku is down, try shoutcast.com or any number of radio websites. When you find some that you like, store their URLs into the 16 presets of your SoundBridge.

6. Please stop whining when a free service has an outage. Use the SoundBridge in its many other ways that don't depend on that free service.

Best regards.

StarTechRadio

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 pm

@ amdb7

don't post such crap! I purchased my Soundbridges specifically for the purpose of what Roku clearly advertised on their main page:
Just use your remote control to choose "Play Internet Radio" from the main SoundBridge menu, and then you can browse and search for stations. Listen to 1000's of FREE Internet radio stations from around the world – And with this in mind, my M1001 is thus not fit for purpose.

Working in IT in a Data Centre I know that what is described as a catastrophic failure of a server should only take a few hours to fix, not days. They obviously could care less about their customers.

BTW - and all my Soundbridges have 18 presets, so I question your product knowledge :roll:

dupondt

Re: As I Listen to Live365 (which works fine, thanks) I wond

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:04 am

Hi wordguy,

Andy answered nearly all of your questions in a very comprehensive manner, so I'll just add two extra comments to his post.

Is there simply no money to be made here

There's obviously money to be made with internet radio devices. Other companies are very active in this market and seem to be successful. Please see my comments in this post for further details.

Or is Roku simply a company that is that poorly run?

Obviously not, because otherwise they wouldn't have been capable of developing fine products like the PhotoBridge, the BrightSign, the SoundBridge and the Amazon/Netflix Wonderbox-Thingy (TM alanmc). However, like quite a few American companies I have done business with over the past 25 years Roku do not appear to believe that sustainability as regards product lifetime, backward compatibility, support, service etc. will contribute to financial success. Most European and Japanese companies pursue a completely different strategy.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

alanmc

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:08 am

Is the reason for the delay in getting the service back caused by RokuDaveC making his way across the Atlantic from England in a rowing-boat due to the lack of knowledge by anyone at Roku HQ on how to fix what should merely be a 4 hour (max) job :?:
Or is a Slow-Boat-from-China bringing the new server - I no longer know if I should :cry: or :lol: at the pathetic length of time RadioRoku has been down (5 days).

Petaluma Chaz

using the presets

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:41 am

My presets are not working either. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

alanmc

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:01 pm

@ Petaluma Chaz
Whilst your presets may take some considerable time to start playing when the RR server is down, if these are valid current URLs they should still connect and play –
For these presets are stored within your actual SoundBridge, rather than on the RR server.

Petaluma Chaz

presets

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Thank you Alanmc. I got Radio Paradise to work but not the others. However, RP is all I need anyway.

RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks for everyone's patience. Radio Roku should be up and running now. Going forward, we will be taking steps to prevent an extended outage like this from happening again.