radioroku page

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:50 pm

IS THE SERVICE DOWN? RADIO ROKU NOT LOADING WEBPAGE

billc124

Re: radioroku page

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:34 pm

dab822 wrote:
IS THE SERVICE DOWN? RADIO ROKU NOT LOADING WEBPAGE

It appears that way. Getting a mySql error which is the database the site runs on. I am sure they know it is down but can't be sure.

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Yes, we know it's down and it's being worked on.

--Mark

jscott

Still down?

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:00 am

Its been more than 24 hours since your last post. How about a status update? Our server is down and a replacement has been ordered? The MySQL database is being restored from tape? Its Sunday and our SLA says we will not resolve the issue before normal business hours?

A 3 day outage is pretty significant. Most of us are willing to cut you some slack, though, if we're kept in the loop.

dab822
Topic Author

soundbridge

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:03 am

hmmm
can this thing bet set to pick up other radio sites thus eliminating roku?

alanmc

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:08 am

Attaboy Bob !
Tell it like it really is for all us SoundBridge owners -

Another reliable service would also include "RadioTime" as used/offered via Logitech Squeezeboxes and the Cisco-Linksys Wireless Home Audio units.

mdesandoli

Pathetic

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:14 am

A service like this down for two days?! That's pathetic.

I have a Grace Digital radio in another room that uses the Reciva service. No problems there.

No service is perfect and a provider demonstrates their quality by how they respond. This is not a good showing.

Perhaps it's time to start noting this poor response on Amazon and Cnet sites. Other potential buyers should be aware of this service level.

jdc1947

Re: Pathetic

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:25 pm

mdesandoli wrote:
Perhaps it's time to start noting this poor response on Amazon and Cnet sites. Other potential buyers should be aware of this service level.

It's a bit late to do this :wink:
The CEO of Roku has yet again taken the customer's money for all the SoundBridges and then walked away. Just as he did with the Photobridge.
Time to read the 'tale' he told in this thread: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=20806

I do hope he doesn't think we believe all his BS excuses, surely he can't think we are that naive :roll:

sirocco

truly poor customer service in this day and age

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:49 pm

As someone who works in IT, I still can't believe that the Roku Labs tolerates so much down time on their website. I work for a small electrical utility where the website is not essential at all, and yet if we are down for a couple hours in primetime, we really hear about it. It is simply not tolerated. The fact that they can be down for an entire weekend really shows how little they care about their customers. I don't think I'd ever buy another product from roku labs after seeing this real lack of concern as well as all the disturing stuff covered in e-mails on this site. Even if you outsource your web stuff, you can certainly find people who take uptime a bit more seriously than these guys do. You wonder if it's some guy with a server in his garage who keeps blowing out fuses or the like. Of course, it must be a really really cheap service. :shock:

andyg

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:43 pm

ah well, wait til some really maddening glitch hits the netflix boxes, then the sh!t wil really fly! :lol:

Actually one of the Roku bods did bother to post saturday morning writing that "they are working on it" - which I think translates as, sorry it's the weekend and we'll deal with it Monday morning... :twisted:

Still, for those of you who bother to surf the fora when these issues arrive, the moral is to have your favourites (UK spelling - no apologies) either preset or go the flexbridge route and you'll be sitting pretty when Radio Roku wazzes out.

But previous posters in this thread still have valid points to make - it (yet again) defies belief that a supposedly commercial outfit can have one of its (supposed) premium products' life-support systems unavailable for 48 hours or more. Fortunately there is choice out there in the marketplace. The decision to buy a Roku product with questionable shelf-life/support/build quality/back-end server stability is in your hands. :shock:
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Sorry everyone. We had a catastrophic server failure late Friday afternoon which requires a replacement. As soon as the new server is up, we'll need to restore RadioRoku from backup. Rest assure, we WILL bring it back online as quickly as possible.

dupondt

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:05 am

James,

We had a catastrophic server failure late Friday afternoon

the server failed late Friday afternoon CEST, which means something between 9 or 10 AM PDT. There should thus have been enough time to replace it on Friday.

The fact that Radio Roku obviously is depending on one single server without any stand-by replacement together with the lack of database maintenance makes it quite clear that you are not focused on this service any more. Reciva, for example, run various servers in different parts of the world to ensure a 365/24/7 service.

Having a second SQL server running, for example, here in Germany would cost you between 5 and 10 Euros per month.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

jscott

Thanks

Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:42 am

RokuJamesL wrote:
Sorry everyone. We had a catastrophic server failure late Friday afternoon which requires a replacement. As soon as the new server is up, we'll need to restore RadioRoku from backup. Rest assure, we WILL bring it back online as quickly as possible.

A catastrophic server failure just before the weekend can certainly lead to a lot of down time, especially if you don't have a gold level support contract.

So if you could just jot a quick note with recovery status every 12 hours or so with an estimated time to recovery (even if it is a WAG), then most of us will continue to check in quietly and let you work through the problem.

dab822
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:06 am

i am returning mine....within the initial 30 days

Petaluma Chaz

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:20 am

dab822 wrote:
i am returning mine....within the initial 30 days
:oops:

Mine is being returned today. You people should be ashamed!