Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

kberman
Topic Author

No choices given for wireless network

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 pm

I moved Roku to different TV. I thought I had to reset it to make it work. Roku comes up and asks me to choose wireless network. My wireless router is hooked up to computer in the next room. No choices are given for me to choose wireless network so i can't choose "not shown" because nothing is shown. Help!

debbiejane

Re: No choices given for wireless network

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:22 pm

I'm having the same problem. Anyone have any ideas out there?

javanic

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Crazy. This just happened to me tonight as well. I've had my Roku for over a year, if my memory serves me correctly. Now all of a sudden it doesn't detect any wireless network! Browsing through the forum it appears that this is not too uncommon. That stinks!

greginnome

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:58 pm

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31285

The link above indicates that there are A LOT of other folks with EXACTLY the same issue. Looks as if this issue has a similar "Failure" timeline... Perhaps ALL these posts need to be LINKED together to get a response from ROKU!

Below is a copy of my post on the other forum location listed above:

:( I have the EXACT same issue, and as I utilize (2) ROKU units, and the other one is functioning perfectly well off the exact same WIRELESS....
This unit will not recognize ANY wireless signal exists, select wireless for "SETUP" = blank field where the connections available should be shown. I have owned this unit less than a year...what gives???? (By the way, I have probably "sold" at least (10) additional ROKU to friends and family via "glowing" testimonials....I'm not a very satisfied customer at this moment... What support does ROKU provide for this issue???

slav1

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:30 pm

I am getting the same problem tonight..what is up ..????

debbiejane

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 am

I recommend that you open a trouble ticket with Roku. I did, not really expecting much based on what I'd seen in the forums. To my pleasant surprise, the company was very responsive. They sent me a list of tests to run, which included testing the unit while plugged into the router. I reported the results of the tests and they emailed me that it appeared the unit would need to be replaced. They gave me a number to call and arrange for a replacement, which I did, and they shipped it out within 2 business days. Since w've had the player for 2 years, we are very pleased with this resolution.

laalex

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:01 pm

Same problem here. Started suddenly around 28/29 August here after working perfectly for approxmately 14 months. Modem can't see the ROKU and ROKU can't see the wireless network. Works fine with ethernet cable, but wireless is a no go. Blue Ray player wireless works perfectly and laptop works perfectly on the same wireless network.

jjaf

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:30 am

Both the Roku DVP and Soundbridge range of devices suffer from wireless connection problems not experienced by other makes of wireless equipment. One is inclined to concur that they select components based on cost rather than performance or resilience. What it means is that in those situations where the wireless signal or quality is on the threshold of acceptability, even a slight change in local conditions can adversely affect the Roku unit's ability to persist a satisfactory wireless connection. If you make the effort to search through these forums you will find various reasons for what can change your wireless experience without apparent cause. This is not necessarily an exhaustive list:

- Failing external power supply unit/wall wart: this is a notorious Roku weak point, after around 14 months of usage. Once the unit is delivering anything less than the full 5 volts (or whatever the rating is for your device), it is no longer able to supply sufficient power for the additional wireless overheads (even if the rest of the unit appears to be functioning). Test the PSU under load (i.e. whilst the device is in operation) and replace it if less than 5V is indicated.
- Wireless Channel contention with neighbouring routers/access points. Try alternative channels, depending on your router/AP options. You never know when a new AP has been switched on in your neighbourhood.
- DECT cordless phones have been reported as interfering, particularly older models.
- Use a router/AP that has sufficient wireless signal for your property size and construction type. Newer "N" wireless equipment have a better signal strength than older models.
- Keep your router/AP away from metal cabinets and large metallic objects like fridges and radiators.
- Moving a mirror close to the router/AP can change the signal. Mirrors are good reflectors and may influence your experience.
R1000, M400, M1001

meanjeanslo

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Ditto! I experienced the same problem last night and tried as others to reset the unit back to factory specs. Still have same issue. I'll take your advice and try creating a trouble ticket. I am still within my 1 year warranty, so I hope they support me. I really love this thing and have recommended it to many folks, too.

mithril03

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:11 pm

I am having the same issue. My daughter accidentally unplugged it for an hour or so. when i plugged it back in, nothing. not even a "manual set up" option. I think we are just outside the 1 yrs warranty. Seems too typical. I haven't had a DVD player since before getting this. Now i have no reason for Netflix as well.

deinonychus73

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:52 am

I just received my Roku last night and was excited to get started. Tried setting it up and exact same problem. I'm ready to send it back. I'm not going to allow the 30-day money back guarantee to lapse while they try to figure out the cause and/or solution. I have a Linksys WRT54G has been working perfectly for years. Supports 3 laptops, a Wii and NOT a Roku. Wii picks it up and streams Netflix no problem. So far with the Roku I am completely unimpressed and very frustrated. So far I've spent $80 to be annoyed. I've tried all suggestions I've read about and am sure I will be given by customer service. Updated software, power cycle, reset to factory default, press and hold reset button on bottom of unit for one minute, two minutes, three...no difference. It simply does not pick up my wireless network.

meanjeanslo

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Is your Roku picking up any network at all? One thing I have noticed since this all started is that I went into my Settings > player info page where it lists your software version and mac addresses for both wired & wireless network cards. The wired card shows a mac address while the Wireless is all zeros. This makes me believe the wireless card is faulty and that's why it doesn't pick up a signal. They did reply to my e-mail the day after I sent it and said I should call in 888-600-7658 8am-8pm PST Mon-Sat to get an RMA and/or trouble-shoot. I haven't had a chance to call, but hopefully they can help. :!:

---------------
Update 10/1 - Suddenly the wireless card began working again. I decided to go into the settings & look and the mac address had reappeared. Not sure why. I had not unplugged it, reset it, or removed any cables. But suddenly the mac address appeared and, of course, so did all wireless networks within range. I will try unplugging power again and see if it happens before my warranty expires next month. That's my biggest concern!
Last edited by meanjeanslo on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezfly14

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I had this same problem last night and today! All I did was move my Roku HD to a different room which I do all the time with no problems. When I plugged it in, hooked it up, and started it there was no wirelesss signal which I've never had a problem with before.

I read on these forums that others had experienced this problem. So I called ROKU after I reset the player and the router to no avail.

Roku is sending me a new unit and a shipping label to send back the defective one. I purchased the unit in November of 2009 so it's still under warranty. I'm glad they are sending a new unit. However, I'm disappointed in the fact that it went out in the first place and I'm questioning the quality. I had thought of purchasing another unit for my home, the new XR, but after this I'm not. I will look at other players first, even more expensive ones such as the Boxee Box when it comes out.

Roku needs to address this issue of "faulty and cheap" parts if that's what they are, they seem to be, with so many people in these forums having the same issues. Plus, now I'm getting a replacement unit, a HD which I paid 99 for, and now the XR is priced at that. I understand technology trends but somehow this makes my opinion of Roku diminish. I will not be recommending the units to my family and friends any longer.

jthibodo

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 am

You will find similar problems in other forums. See viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23695&p=203777#p203777

jthibodo

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 am

BTW, you might try changing the channel your router is using, but if your Roku shows no other networks around and you know there are some, this is not likely to be the issue. (Unless everyone has chosen the one particular channel your Roku doesn't like... what are the odds there, though?)