Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

danel1
Topic Author

Roku as a Sling Catcher

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 am

I have a slingbox HD pro. I see that slingbox no longer makes the sclingcatcher. I was thinking it would be REALLY handy if my brand new Roku was somehow able to capture my slingbox feed. I personally have NO clue how to do that but I thought you all might!

kbenson

Re: Roku as a Sling Catcher

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:17 pm

From what little I've been able to gather on the encoding the slingbox uses, it looks like it's possibly supported, at least if the encoding options are tweaked at bit. I would be happy to play with trying to get something like that working, but A) I don't have a slingbox, and B) I don't know their policy on third party devices/software accessing their streams, or if it matters.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!

omahaone

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but I have been using a slingbox for many years. I would love to pick up a couple sling catchers but even on EBay they are pulling $300 to $600. When putting these on multiple tv's at that price, it is cheaper just to buy a whole computer. I don't own a Roku, but if someone could figure out a way for them to display a stream from a slingbox on a Roku, I would buy at least 5 of them. If any of you guys have any insight into this please post about it. I would also be interested in being able to handle a stream from a Vulkano although unless Monsoon comes up with some substantially better firmware I will be sending mine back next week.

I look forward to hearing if you guys think this is realistically possible on a Roku.

Thanks,
Jeff

kbenson

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Hey, if someone's willing to lend me a SlingBox for a few weeks, I'll take a serious look. But barring that, your best bet is to either find a developer who already has one, find someone who has one and convince them to develop, or petition slingbox's company.
-- GandK Labs

ebeeky

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:39 pm

I really would like to have this too. The Roku as a SlingCatcher would be awesome.

RoKid

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:35 pm

omahaone wrote:
Hello,
I am new to this forum, but I have been using a slingbox for many years. I would love to pick up a couple sling catchers but even on EBay they are pulling $300 to $600. When putting these on multiple tv's at that price, it is cheaper just to buy a whole computer. I don't own a Roku, but if someone could figure out a way for them to display a stream from a slingbox on a Roku, I would buy at least 5 of them. If any of you guys have any insight into this please post about it. I would also be interested in being able to handle a stream from a Vulkano although unless Monsoon comes up with some substantially better firmware I will be sending mine back next week.

I look forward to hearing if you guys think this is realistically possible on a Roku.

Thanks,
Jeff

Any sling catcher NIB is at least $600 . I don't know if you can stream on a the roku, i'd be curious to know too. I heard the vulkano has no real hd capabilites ?
Last edited by RoKid on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kbenson

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:26 am

I think TheEndless was working on this recently (if he didn't get swamped with other stuff). Maybe we'll get an update soon on his progress (or lack thereof, if it's a not possible).
-- GandK Labs