Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

SPDworks
Topic Author

All plugged in but not turning on...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:41 pm

:?: Got the Roku HD system from the Roku online store and it just got here today. Hooked one up months ago for my parents (not HD) and had NO problems whatsoever. Put the included AAA batteries into the remote, hooked up all the cables (including the power cable) to the back of the Roku box, and it just sits there on top of the TV... no LED, nothing to let me know it's on. Nothing's on the TV screen to further explain what to do next (in case either the HD model is different in setting up than the standard Roku system, or they've changed something in set up in general since I hooked up my parents' Roku,) but since it doesn't come with an on/off switch at all, I can't do much more than come here and hope someone can help. Didn't see where anyone had already posted specifically the same problem but if they did, I do apologise for the duplication of question. Either way, will someone please help me here? Incidentally, attempted already four times to access the Roku suppor/ portion of Roku..com outside the forums, and it simply says that it doesn't exist, via any search engine results on Google. Don't know what the problem is, but do see a recent trend for defective systems being shipped and having to go back. I do hope that's not the case with mine. Could it even simply be that the AAA included batteries are old after sitting on stocking shelves in a warehouse or something? Please help, and thanks if you can help me with this.

KennyJ

Re: All plugged in but not turning on...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Are you getting no lights at all? If you hit the remote -- does anything light up on the box?

Can you try your parent's power adapter? You might have a bad one.

SPDworks
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks Kenny:) No, no lights or anything from the Roku box at all at this point, but everything is plugged in. I didn't think about trying their adapter in case my new one's defective. You mean the power adapter I take it, yes? And what about remote? Does the fact it might have dead batteries have any bearing on whether the Roku is going to light up or not? I could get 'hold of their remote as well. They're just in the other room, actually, as always, enjoying their lovely Roku out there (and truthfully, it was so easy setting up their system, that's about all I remember about setting it up for them... that is was easy to set up and worked right out of the box.) Thanks, and I'll give what you suggested a try and come back with the results here. :)

KennyJ

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:08 pm

SPDworks wrote:
Thanks Kenny:) No, no lights or anything from the Roku box at all at this point, but everything is plugged in. I didn't think about trying their adapter in case my new one's defective. You mean the power adapter I take it, yes? And what about remote? Does the fact it might have dead batteries have any bearing on whether the Roku is going to light up or not? I could get 'hold of their remote as well. They're just in the other room, actually, as always, enjoying their lovely Roku out there (and truthfully, it was so easy setting up their system, that's about all I remember about setting it up for them... that is was easy to set up and worked right out of the box.) Thanks, and I'll give what you suggested a try and come back with the results here. :)

Sorry.. Yeah, I meant power adapter. I can't remember if you see a light when you first plug in the Roku (I'm at work). But if you have access to both the remote and the power adapter from your parent's box, I'd try both.

SPDworks
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:13 pm

:D Thanks again, Kenny. Your suggestion helped me determine that it DID have something to do with the power, but it wasn't the adapter. Tried my parents' adapter and it didn't with the new Roku either. So after seeing my parents' re-hooked up, I realised there IS a little blue LED light and decided to try to hook it up before sending the whole thing back as defective, to another power outlet entirely. Turns out, it WAS the power, but it was the outlet that wasn't getting anything to the new box. NOW I have an extension cord going from the Roku to the GOOD power strip. And I'm in the process of updating the new fully-functioning Roku HD player, adding Netflix and Amazon ondemand:) Thanks again for all your help:) I'll post again if anything else happens. :)

reverendtlewis

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Is the Roku Box plugged into a hot outlet? Some outlets in homes have an outlet on either side of room where only the top plug in is hot and the bottom is not until you turn on a switch on the wall .