Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MTPotter
Topic Author

Local Network Connection Problems

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Recently purchased a Roku and it has been working OK with my Netflix account. No issues untile very recently. I also have a Wii that I watch Netflix on as well. After I began to use the Wii, the Roku all of a sudden cannot log onto my local network.

Roku sees the network SSID and seems to handshake with the router using my WEP key, but on the second step, it fails to connect to the local network. It has never done this before.

Is there something Roku may not like with the Wii? Should be no interference that I can think of as my Wii is not on my wireless network.

I have a D-Link 655, 802.11 a/g/n router.

computerexpert

Re: Local Network Connection Problems

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:57 am

I have over 25 years as a Consultant on networks including wireless. Personally, I hate wireless networks as they are a bag of worms and you have to always be fixing problems. every day one of the systems was having problems where you had to remove the power and let them reload or for no good reason you had to boot them back to the factory settings and re setup the system. At least most of the ones I had responsibility for had a way to backup the setup so all I had to do was reload the configuration file and reboot but, I sure got tired of having to keep working on them and most were Cisco A/P units so they were not cheep units but were suppose to be pro units and should keep working instead of failing off and on requiring them to be rebooted or totally reset and reloaded. Give me a Cat/6 cable any day and a direct connection!

Dr. computer expert PhD

KennyJ

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:27 am

Have you tried resetting your router? I've had maybe 2 occasions where this has happened to me and a reset of my router fixed it.

chris0071

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:45 am

computerexpert wrote:
I have over 25 years as a Consultant on networks including wireless. Personally, I hate wireless networks as they are a bag of worms and you have to always be fixing problems. every day one of the systems was having problems where you had to remove the power and let them reload or for no good reason you had to boot them back to the factory settings and re setup the system. At least most of the ones I had responsibility for had a way to backup the setup so all I had to do was reload the configuration file and reboot but, I sure got tired of having to keep working on them and most were Cisco A/P units so they were not cheep units but were suppose to be pro units and should keep working instead of failing off and on requiring them to be rebooted or totally reset and reloaded. Give me a Cat/6 cable any day and a direct connection!

Dr. computer expert PhD

I don't think that I have reset my wireless connection in a month and a half.

I have run wireless at home for years, and at work for almost a year now. We had 1 problem at work, but that was because a switch went bad.

Many more outside factors can impact a wireless network compared to a wired network, but a wireless network also never has cables go bad, never has to have cable run to new locations if a device is moved, mice chewing on wiring, or other physical joys. Each setup has its pros and cons.