Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

T McDonald
Topic Author

No Roku screen showing

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:01 am

I just purchased this roku last week. This morning, there is no roku screen at all. I checked my connections and they are all stable. The purple light is on and I see the red power light inside the box to tell me it has power. But when I try to input it, nothing shows up--a no signal. Nothing is wrong with my wireless connection.

chris0071

Re: No Roku screen showing

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:53 am

What ports are you using?

Did you use the "input" (or similar) button on your remote to change the input to that particular port?

T McDonald
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:19 am

Chris,

Actually, I just restored my system. I unplugged the Roku from my outlet, then plugged it back in. Voila! There it was.

I wonder why this happened? Setup was a breeze (I use airport extreme to rout my signal from comcast modem). My tv is a sony bravia led lcd, and i set up the roku with the hdmi cable.

But I have done something differently. Last night, I decided to use the USB media channel to watch a couple of movies that I converted to mp4 and put on my thumb drive. It was my first time using the usb. I converted the movies to an apple preset...but noticed that one conversion wasn't so hot--the audio lagged the video and the picture was grainy. I converted another one to an mp4 hd resolution--770 mbs ballooned to 2 gigs! Could I have blown the memory?

Are there any guidelines for using thumb drives on the Roku? I have both a Mac and PC at home and use my thumb drive on both. Are there any guidelines on the safest conversion for the roku? I notice that presets always include apple tv and other apple products, also archos, creative zen. Does roku need to provide a preset?

chris0071

Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't use the USB, so I really can't say.

I would suggest reading through the top Roku forum, as there is a ton of info there.

There is also some information here:

http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

mrdel

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:39 am

This is the same as previous postings that say Roku goes to sleep and you cannot wake it up with the remote control. Mine dones this.
I have xds model with HDMI cable supplied by Roku. Call to support said to update to latest software which is version 2.9 1509 which was
supposed to fix this problem. It did not fix it. My XDS is only one week old. I have to power cycle to get it to start up. Would like to see
a fix for this.

Mrdel

sueska_rf

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm

We have been experiencing the exact same problem (intermittently does not respond to remote after screen saver) with our N1000 Roku device ever since we connected HDMI to our Toshiba 40RV525R. Sadly the new update did not fix the problem for us either. Our workaround has been to turn the television off and then back on. We also recently noticed that the Roku device responds to the remote again (Roku light flashes) just by turning off the television set and the Roku screen is back when we turn the television back on. It would be great if they could fix this problem.