Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

schulteb
Topic Author

Set up: All plugged in, Nothing happens

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Help. I plugged the roku in - got the little purple light - plugged the hdmi cable into the back of my tv (I have two ports on the back of my TV, one goes to the DVD player and I plugged the roku into the other free one) - nothing happened. Black screen.

I unplugged everything. I took tried replacing the hdmi cable with the red/white/yellow cables. Still nothing. I have a logitech universal remote, so I used that to turn the TV on, then manually turned off the digital box and the AV receiver. Stll nothing. I dug out the old TV remote and just turned the tv on. nothing. Roku live support no help.

Any advice? Is it me (I'm an idiot, I admit) - Is it the roku? I was hoping this would be easy...

chris0071

Re: Set up: All plugged in, Nothing happens

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Did you change the input source using your remote?

schulteb
Topic Author

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

I have a logitech harmony 510 universal remote. I tried just turning the TV on with the original TV remote, that didn't work. I'm trying to add roku to the universal remote, but am stuck. so, what should I do/change with the input?

schulteb
Topic Author

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:38 am

OK - it's taken hours, but I used the original tv remote to navigate to the hdmi (HDMI1) input that I"d plugged the roku into and got roku set up. I programmed my logitech 510 harmony remote to control the roku ... the only problem is now - I can get the sound out of the TV, but not out of the AV receiver with the speakers. My DVD player just has an hdmi cable going to the back of the TV set (HDMI 2) and it plays audio through the AV without additional cables. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to run audio cables? From where to where? Any advice most appreciated!

chris0071

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:00 am

Glad you got going.

Unfortunately, I just have mine plugged into the back of my TV so I can't offer any guidance about getting audio to your external speakers.

KennyJ

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:45 pm

schulteb wrote:
OK - it's taken hours, but I used the original tv remote to navigate to the hdmi (HDMI1) input that I"d plugged the roku into and got roku set up. I programmed my logitech 510 harmony remote to control the roku ... the only problem is now - I can get the sound out of the TV, but not out of the AV receiver with the speakers. My DVD player just has an hdmi cable going to the back of the TV set (HDMI 2) and it plays audio through the AV without additional cables. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to run audio cables? From where to where? Any advice most appreciated!

I'm guessing you have a cable going from your TV to your AV receiver? It's possible you need to set up each Input. So check your Audio setup on your TV while on HDMI1 and see if it offers a choice for External sound.

I have mine going HDMI to TV and then digital coax audio to my Receiver.