Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

inquiring
Topic Author

ROKU is just another Google TV???

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 am

Have Google TV and am going to return-almost all TV channels I want to watch are paid subscriptions-that I can watch for FREE on my desktop PC. ROKU appears to offer the same as it offers VOD and paid subscriptions exactly like GOOGLE TV. Crap.

Can anyone tell me that these two web to TV boxes are different? Seems the major broadcast channels have "blacked out" programming but are reconsidering.

Anyone recommend a web to TV wifi box at 1080p so I can connect the web to my 46" SONY HDTV?

Thanks experts!

kbenson

Re: ROKU is just another Google TV???

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 pm

inquiring wrote:
Have Google TV and am going to return-almost all TV channels I want to watch are paid subscriptions-that I can watch for FREE on my desktop PC. ROKU appears to offer the same as it offers VOD and paid subscriptions exactly like GOOGLE TV. Crap.

Can anyone tell me that these two web to TV boxes are different? Seems the major broadcast channels have "blacked out" programming but are reconsidering.

Anyone recommend a web to TV wifi box at 1080p so I can connect the web to my 46" SONY HDTV?

Thanks experts!

My understanding of Google TV is that it's meant mainly to work in conjunction with your cable/satellite service. Roku isn't really meant for that. There's no overlay of the regular TV content. Roku has many channels that provide free content, some of which are private channels (see http://www.roku-channels.com/ for a list, or the Roku yahoo group database for a more up to date one). Some channels are of course subscription. The main difference between these devices is that the Roku can cost as little as a fifth the cost of the current Google TV offering (for the 720p model), and that Google TV is meant to be able to browse the web fully and view flash videos. The Roku is not meant to do that.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!