Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Slingbox alternative

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Hello,

This is completely not Roku product related, so hopefully someone can answer this here with the thread being locked:

I have a cable box in the basement that I would like "repeated" to my bedroom, which has no cable in it whatsoever..

I looked at the prices of Slingbox and Slingbox Catcher, and that solution is just way too expensive for me.

Is there any other alternative out there that will let me "borrow" my basement cable in my bedroom? I don't plan on living at this house too much longer so I don't want to hard-wire anything if I don't have to, so the answer of "get cable ran to the bedroom the old fashioned way" is not a viable solution. I'm hoping for something that would work using either RF or wifi signals.. Like the Slingbox/Catcher, but cheaper.

Thanks!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

emickkart25

Re: Slingbox alternative

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:50 pm

yes, how about using your laptop or desktop pc down loaded with slingbox reciever software (which is free!!) to view your slingbox signal.

mediaguru

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:21 am

Wow. Thanks for that suggestion. I am looking into that right now as I have a similar situation. I never knew that a software like that would be available for free. Very cool. I actually don't mind using my laptop for that purpose. Especially if you have more than one laptop or computer. I actually have a personal laptop and then a work one. I use my personal laptop for most media and things like this and its frees up my other one to use on a more regular basis.
smart card

marina28

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:04 am

Hopefully, Slingbox can develop an App for Roku too. I wont mind paying for that app. Im pretty sure a lot of people will be willing too, because a lot already paid $24 for a slingbox app to watch in a very small mobile phone., what more in a larger screen.