Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

HollyTV
Topic Author

Setup question

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 pm

The following is an answer to my post on "how do I set up the Roku wirelessly", from a Verizon forum

"connect the Roku box via Cat 5 to a port on your router, and then through HDMI or composite cables to your TV. But even if you used wifi, the connections would be bascially the same. Roku box input from the router (via Cat 5 or wifi). Roku box output to the TV.

From the setup guide for Roku, I don't see any CAT 5's or other cables. My router is about 10 feet from my tv. Does the above answer imply that I have to have cables running from my tv to the router?? From the setup guide, it looks like I connect the Roku to the tv with an hdmi cable and that's it. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

wataga123

Re: Setup question

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes, hdmi from Roku to the tv. Once you get some sort of picture or setup screen, you can connect either wired or wireless to your router, depending what you have.

HollyTV
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:35 am

So if I connect using wireless, do I need cat5 cables as indicated in that msg from Verizon site? Thanks.

Frazier

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:51 am

No you would not.

Frazier

HollyTV
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:16 pm

O.K. That's brief and clear however here are 3 more questions about Roku:

1. If you buy a Roku, is there a tech support phone number to call or is it all handled through this forum?

2. If I choose ethernet setup, do I have to run some sort of cable from my router to the tv? My tv is about
10 feet from router. I just wonder how people do this who have tv's upstairs or many feet away. I can't understand
that part of the hookup. I keep reading how everyone's mother could set this unit up but I still seem to be having a
problem with the whole enchilada.

3. When setting up wirelessly, is there an on-screen keyboard on the tv?

Thanks again.

RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Okay, first of all, completely forget what Verizon told you. It's confusing you.

Second, the HDMI connection from the Roku to the TV has nothing to do with the network connection. HDMI is only for the video signal and sound.

One thing that is not clear in your posts is what kind of router you have, or if you even have a wireless router. If you need help, you will be asked for the make and model number of the router. You might want to find that out first before proceeding with asking for assistance here or on the phone.

How far away your router is from the Roku player will most likely determine which network connection method you choose.
You have two ways to connect the Roku player to your internet connection:

1. Wired- Using a CAT-5 ethernet cable, you connect one end to the router and the other end to the Roku player. In the Roku player on-screen setup, you would choose "wired". If your router is only 10 feet away from the Roku player, this might be the best solution for you.

2. Wireless- Think about the word "wireless". It infers that there is no wire involved. So, there is no physical network cable connection between the router and the Roku player. In the Roku player on-screen setup, you would choose "wireless". In order set this up, you will need to know your network name, also referred to as the SSID, and the wireless security password, if the router had been set up with some kind of security (either WEP, WPA or WPA2). Without knowing the network name or the password, you will not be able to complete wireless setup.
Once you select wireless in the setup flow, you'll see a list of all the available wireless networks around you. Your network name should be in that list. If it is, then select it. If you have wireless security turned on, the next screen will ask for the password. Enter it in using the on-screen keyboard. After entering the password, you will see a connection sequence that hopefully will complete successfully.

If you have no idea what your wireless network name or your password is, you'll need to contact customer support of the company that makes your router. If you need to call Roku technical support for help, they are going to ask you for these two pieces of information, so make sure you get the network name and security password squared away first. Assuming you do, you can call Roku support at 888-600-7658. We also have a support page here: http://support.roku.com/home

HollyTV
Topic Author

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks very much - Yes, I do have a wireless router -M-Aciontec 1424WR - I do know the SSID, the password and security settings, etc. I will proceed accordingly. Thanks again.