Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sandimeyerthepainter
Topic Author

Darkness makes roku clicker not work

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:09 pm

We just hooked up our HD Roku to a new HD tv, it was hooked up using the HDMI cables, we used the other ones with the old, non HD TV. Now when we turn off the room lights the roku clicker wont work. Turn ON the room lights, it works fine. Open the curtains to let room light in, it works fine, close them, the clicker no longer speaks to the roku box. I called the Help via live chat and they suggested moving the box. We did. No luck. We rebooted, reconnected, retried even switching living room clicker for the one in the bedroom. It does the same thing, once it gets into the bedroom, and it works FINE in the living room, in the dark. It is so strange...... any suggestions?

twheeloc

Re: Darkness makes roku clicker not work

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Typically, as I understand, this should work opposite from what you're indicating.

Instead of walking closer to the box try clicking from farther away from the box or gradually angling the remote away from the box until you get a response.

Essentially test the distances as perhaps the signal is strong enough that it's overpowering the IR sensor in the box.
Just a thought but I'm guessing that you're further away in the living room versus the bedroom.

If it works by pointing it away try something simple like putting a small piece of scotch tape over the front of the remote to decrease the signal.

Another possibility is this thread:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25550

hn333

Re: Darkness makes roku clicker not work

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:10 am

sandimeyerthepainter wrote:
We just hooked up our HD Roku to a new HD tv, it was hooked up using the HDMI cables, we used the other ones with the old, non HD TV. Now when we turn off the room lights the roku clicker wont work. Turn ON the room lights, it works fine. Open the curtains to let room light in, it works fine, close them, the clicker no longer speaks to the roku box. I called the Help via live chat and they suggested moving the box. We did. No luck. We rebooted, reconnected, retried even switching living room clicker for the one in the bedroom. It does the same thing, once it gets into the bedroom, and it works FINE in the living room, in the dark. It is so strange...... any suggestions?

Does your HD have an auto dimming feature? If so try turning it off. You're TV might be putting out a lot of IR noise when the auto dimming is on.