Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

SuetyStanes

Re: Can't view HD with Roku XD

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

sbarker2 wrote:
Just received my unit for Christmas. I am having the same problem trying to view in HD from Amazon. Has anyone been able to resolve this issure.

This has resolved a couple times in this thread alone. Specifics would help resolve this for you.

Posting in the correct forum would help as well, but it looks like there are a few people hanging around the forum that might be helpful.

bitterbal
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:59 pm

SuetyStanes wrote:
sbarker2 wrote:
Just received my unit for Christmas. I am having the same problem trying to view in HD from Amazon. Has anyone been able to resolve this issure.

This has resolved a couple times in this thread alone. Specifics would help resolve this for you.

Posting in the correct forum would help as well, but it looks like there are a few people hanging around the forum that might be helpful.

How has this issue been resolved then? I would be very interesed in hearing your solution. I've started this thread and still am waiting on feedback that will resolve this issue. I still have no HD viewing with my Roku XD, or any decent quality viewing for that matter. 2 dots at the most. Streaming 0.5 MB on a 0.9 MB network. I've contacted Comcast. I'm on the Silver Plan which gives me 12-16 MBps. And diagnostics from their end gives me plenty of juice. I've read stumbled upon more people posting similar problems on different sites. It is believed there may be a glitch in the wireless connection components in the Roku box. But of course, you can know this for sure until it's proven.

SuetyStanes

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:56 pm

I was mistaken. You had quoted another forum member that wrote: "Everything started working correctly when I changed my HDMI cable and reset the Roku player." incorrectly so I counted two posters as having resolved this.

What have you done with your router? I know that some of the newer boxes have problems with WPA/WPA2 security.

Also, still the wrong forum.

TiredOwner

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:11 am

I am also having the same problem that everyone is talking about. I have an older roku and a new one and the problem stared about 10 days ago and like everyone else I used to get HD fine and then the problems started. I had my phone company send me a new router/modem and that didn't fix the problem. Then I went and bought a new router and that didn't help either. It's kind of like the roku is keeping data stored in the roku because after I reset everything I can get HD at least once but then if I surf around and try a few different programs/shows it acts like the cache is full and will not show HD. If I put it on playback debugging it says my network is like a 2.5 mbps network and its really 7 mbps, but like everyone else I have done all the network tests and everything seems to run fine. I had an old roku for about a year and it was great now I have two and neither one will run properly.

HELP!!!!!!

SuetyStanes

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:03 am

TiredOwner wrote:
I am also having the same problem that everyone is talking about. I have an older roku and a new one and the problem stared about 10 days ago and like everyone else I used to get HD fine and then the problems started. I had my phone company send me a new router/modem and that didn't fix the problem. Then I went and bought a new router and that didn't help either. It's kind of like the roku is keeping data stored in the roku because after I reset everything I can get HD at least once but then if I surf around and try a few different programs/shows it acts like the cache is full and will not show HD. If I put it on playback debugging it says my network is like a 2.5 mbps network and its really 7 mbps, but like everyone else I have done all the network tests and everything seems to run fine. I had an old roku for about a year and it was great now I have two and neither one will run properly.

HELP!!!!!!

Please define "surf around" and "try a few different programs/shows". You are using nonstandard lingo and that complicates understanding what you mean.

Also, how many channels do you have added? And what model of Roku player do you have?

TiredOwner

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 am

When I mention surf I meant changing between various Netflix shows or movies. The boxes I own are the new Roku XD and the old HD box.
SuetyStanes wrote:
TiredOwner wrote:

HELP!!!!!!

Please define "surf around" and "try a few different programs/shows". You are using nonstandard lingo and that complicates understanding what you mean.

Also, how many channels do you have added? And what model of Roku player do you have?

SuetyStanes

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:42 am

How many channels do you have loaded?

ETA: I understand what you mean now about surfing around. Is this problem only happening with Netflix?
Last edited by SuetyStanes on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

TiredOwner

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:44 am

I only have the channels loaded that come with the roku. HubaDub, Amazon and MLB. Well when I try Amazon I get the message that it can't show me the preview in HD.

sbarker2

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:43 pm

When I enable debugging I do not get the pop up screen that you are talking about. Is there something else I need to be doing.

Thanks

devildog

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:55 pm

I agree with the person who started this thread, and may I add that ever since comcast and Verizon got jealous of Netflix making all the money just a couple of months ago, there feed has gone way down hill. last year my Roku box worked fine, now its a piece of crap.

Roku staff need to be honest and confess that there boxes not working properly is a direct result of internet providers cut back on streaming content, and appoligize and refund its customers who purchased these items recently, knowingly had information regarding this issue at hand.

I am returning my boxes back to amazon and will be seeking refunds, and will be discontinuing my service with netflix.

thank you for your attention in this matter

:twisted:

shas27

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I am also having similar issue. I tested amazon VOD and it diplays the message cannot play HD.
I have not done digonostics yet. My roku is just 2ft away from the wireless router and the spped is pretty good.
One more issue which i say with Amazon VOD and youtube HD videos is that it started in full HD with all 4 dots on. But if do a rewind or forward the dots drop back to 3 and same with Quality. I will try wired connection tonight as i got roku just yesterday. Will update once done.

Any suggestions are welcome.

shas27

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 am

HI tested the roku for few days now. Wireless is a issue. The roku sits next to my LG wireless enabled blue ray player. The wireless speed shown by the LG si constant and is arnd 4.5 Mbps average (checked with vudu interface) but roku is showing it from 0.8 to 2.1 Mbps during the multiple tests. I checked one device at a time. So there is somne serious issue with the wireless connectivity with Roku.

Then i tried with wired internet connection on Roku. Everything (channels) worked fine except Youtube. It strated with HD and after some time may be after 20 mins HD playback it starts giving message like thet cannot play HD (2 mbps) on 1.1 mbps network speed. I went back to Amazon VOD and speed was perfectly fine being shown as arnd 10Mbps and HD running fine. THe only solution to fix the youtube is restart the roku.

Anyone facing similar issue with youtube?