Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Allan Herauf
Topic Author

wireless internet connection problem

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:58 am

I received my Roku wireless 2100x-00 this week. I hjooked it up and all has been fine until this morning. It will not connect to the internet. I have rebooted my router and the Roku device several times to no avail. All wireless laptops still connect just fine...just the flower Roku device. I bought this for convenience, but I think I'll send it back and keep using a laptop to connect to Netflix and Pandora. Anybody have any bright ideas before I take this thing out for target practice?
Allan

rbela1616

Re: wireless internet connection problem

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:34 pm

same thing happened to me. this thing is a piece of crap. worked for 2 wks then nothing

Benjiman Doover

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I have everything set up but it wont connect to my wireless internet. I have a password but it isn't working. I have an HD Roku and I got it 12/21/2010. Please help.

iliveonthenet

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:26 pm

I had tried a long modem and roku reboot for days, always with same resulting error msg: cannot connect to the internet.

My wireless network is detected and has full bars around the network name.
The Roku box is in the same room as, and about 15 feet from, my wireless router, a Linksys BEFW11S4 V2/V3

The wireless router DNS numbers are the key if your wireless network is discovered and connects but can't get to the Internet.
If the Roku is not seeing your wireless router, go to your computer that is connected to the wireless router, and view the device in control
panel /networks. Right-mouse click it and select connect.

Then, Right-mouse click it and select view Web page.

If those instructions don't work for you, try this:
1.Click on START menu, Click RUN, Type in CMD, Press OK.
2.Type in "ipconfig" right beside the cursor blinking in the black screen.
3.Note the default gateway and open an Internet explorer.
4.Clear everything from the address bar, type the default gateway number and press GO.

If you are prompted for admin name and password and don't know what it is there are 2 things you can try:
- Look for the user name password on the bottom of the router label or from the user guide.
- Leave the user name blank and type admin in the password field.

What you want to do next is enter the openDNS numbers for DNS 1 and 2. Here is how to do this:

5.Browse the page for Basic settings or WAN settings and manually enter these numbers:
DNS Primary 208.67.222.222
DNS Seconday 208.67.220.220

6. Reboot the Roku box.

My personal experience was that after a long while, the Roku updated its software on its own within 2 clicks of the remote control.

I was reluctant to change the DNS numbers, because I worried that my wireless laptops would not be able to get the internet.
I reviewed info on and created a free OpenDNS account, I fired up and activated the Roku box, and found my wireless laptops were still able to connect to the internet. I love when it works!

When you get a confirmation code on the screen, you go to your computer and on the Internet site www.Roku.com/activate you enter the number you see on the tv screen. After a few minutes, the Roku box detects that you did this on the Internet and you can select all kinds of content.

I also had to go the Netflix site and follow an activation code process for my Netflix hooklup, but I was pleased with the performance and all of free content available.

They key seems to be the OpenDNS settings in the router.

destruk

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:08 am

Using specific DNS numbers might not provide the best service for everybody. You should be using the DNS servers that are closest to your own location - generally provided automatically by your ISP. Also some streaming content providers use the DNS server location to determine which video source to give to your requests. I see a headache in the wings if every ROKU user had the same static'd dns numbers.

dgrace

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Allan Herauf wrote:
I received my Roku wireless 2100x-00 this week. I hjooked it up and all has been fine until this morning. It will not connect to the internet. I have rebooted my router and the Roku device several times to no avail. All wireless laptops still connect just fine...just the flower Roku device. I bought this for convenience, but I think I'll send it back and keep using a laptop to connect to Netflix and Pandora. Anybody have any bright ideas before I take this thing out for target practice?
Allan

Is there a possibility that you could connect router to roku with a cable to see if that works? Maybe a small tv near the computer/router? It would be good to see if it just died or if it's a wireless connect issue. Along those lines, if you have your router assigning IP address's by DHCP and a single day "lease" on them, then maybe some other wireless device is conflicting with the IP in the roku. I've seen this when a wireless printer is given a dedicated IP and all other devices are DHCP, but the printer IP is in the DHCP range and another device gets assigned that IP before printer is turned on.
Good luck.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

hareline

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:32 pm

I am having the same problem - the Roku box worked once, but now can't connect to my wireless network. I just got off the phone after 40 minutes with tech support with no solution, the guy told me all my router settings are correct.

My computers, iPhones, Tivo and Xbox are all quite happy with my current router settings, so they win and Roku loses.

I am calling tomorrow to see how to return it.

RoKid

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:51 pm

hareline wrote:
I am having the same problem - the Roku box worked once, but now can't connect to my wireless network. I just got off the phone after 40 minutes with tech support with no solution, the guy told me all my router settings are correct.

My computers, iPhones, Tivo and Xbox are all quite happy with my current router settings, so they win and Roku loses.

I am calling tomorrow to see how to return it.

Thats not good. I just want it to work with my TV. I am considering returning mine now too. I wish I could find a solution though. Oh well, I guess I will call tomorrow. Home Theater Design
Last edited by RoKid on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bsanderson

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:20 pm

I am seeing similar wireless network issues on my brand new Roku Xd

the roku box works fine one day. Then the next it seem to loose the wireless connection. Even when you go to network settings it shows my wireless network with full signal.

I just turn the roku on today to check out the Channels. It said it could not talk to the network. I tried 3 times and check the network was showing active.

I went into Netflix, it connected. then I went back to channels and it connected to it then.

there is some flakiness in the wireless of this box.

This on off again network make the box not some usable.

I know my home network is fine since I have about 10 hard wired and 10 wireless devices on my network. I even up my network to 15 meg down and 2 meg up due to increase need
for netflix etc etc..

The only thing I am using for wireless access are two Apple Express units all configured for one network SSID, one at each far end of my home. I have no issues with them with any of my other wireless devices: windows or mac laptops or ipad or cellphone accessing them. Could the Roku be internal jumping between wireless router some how?

thanks
bill

Could the Roku have a problem with this type of wireless config?
Bill Sanderson
inroomdeals.com

Raven

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:45 am

Same problem here - received my XD box 12/22/2010. This seems like a bad batch or something...the box worked fine until this morning and now will not connect to the internet. All other devices...laptop, blackberry, etc. are totally fine and running as normal. Rebooted the entire network twice...nothing.

The worst part is that the box was phenomenal until now...hoping for some sort of solution or recovery as I am not ready to bash the system yet and throw in the towel on using the Roku.

dgrace

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 pm

bsanderson wrote:
I am seeing similar wireless network issues on my brand new Roku Xd

the roku box works fine one day. Then the next it seem to loose the wireless connection. Even when you go to network settings it shows my wireless network with full signal.

I just turn the roku on today to check out the Channels. It said it could not talk to the network. I tried 3 times and check the network was showing active.

I went into Netflix, it connected. then I went back to channels and it connected to it then.

there is some flakiness in the wireless of this box.

This on off again network make the box not some usable.

I know my home network is fine since I have about 10 hard wired and 10 wireless devices on my network. I even up my network to 15 meg down and 2 meg up due to increase need
for netflix etc etc..

The only thing I am using for wireless access are two Apple Express units all configured for one network SSID, one at each far end of my home. I have no issues with them with any of my other wireless devices: windows or mac laptops or ipad or cellphone accessing them. Could the Roku be internal jumping between wireless router some how?

thanks
bill

Could the Roku have a problem with this type of wireless config?

I bet that if it sees the ssid of the farthest accesspoint and tries to connect then the signal would be weaker. Is it possible it can see both APs? Can you configure the closest one to always assign the IP to the roku's MAC, or vice versa, have the farthest one block its MAC? Sounds like you know networking with the set up you have. I'm not familiar with the Apple Express units but will poke around a bit.
FZ

bsanderson

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Will try to hard code an ip for the roku box.

see if that helps
Bill Sanderson
inroomdeals.com

dgrace

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:20 pm

bsanderson wrote:
Will try to hard code an ip for the roku box.

see if that helps

I've never been able to do that in the one I have, which is an earlier HD. I did look at the Apple AirPort Express and they do show MAC filtering as an option. Maybe just filter out the MAC of the Roku on the AP furthest away, then it wouldn't be able to switch to that one. Any chance you have another AP in the neighborhood that it switches to when signals fade or strengthen?
FZ