Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jazernorth
Topic Author

Roku Sucks in Playing Netflix

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:48 am

Roku Sucks when it comes to Netflix. I can play Netflix with all other devices in my house (ie Computer, Boxee, web enabled device, etc.), but not with Roku. Their 'customer support' says it is my network, but if it was my network, then why the flower do the other devices work?

I am waiting on their 'customer support' to resolve this issue. I've been waiting for over 1 week.... still waiting.....

Please help!

wataga123

Re: Roku Sucks in Playing Netflix

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:01 am

You are not going to get much help here unless you help us, tell us what model, what your network consists of, download speeds, how is the box hooked up etc.etc.

jazernorth
Topic Author

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:23 am

I've sent in multiple help emails directly to 'customer support'.... BUT I'll put it here ....

Roku XD.
I use DSL and ALL OTHER DEVICES that play Netflix play it perfectly. ... SO IT AIN'T my network.
It is Roku Device... plain and simple.

Please do not try to trouble shoot my network or connections, because that is not it. I've been down every testing road possible and it just comes down to Roku XD and Netflix do not play....

I am expecting a refund from Roku for 2 months of Netflix, and yes, a full refund of my Roku XD box... Yup, I'll be glad to send it back.

Frazier

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:42 am

I have had some of the same problems, play well with Wii, Xbox sometimes issues with Roku. In my opinion they need to fix their service, especially the streaming they use. They need to have a more constant stream, that would mean updating their equipment.

Frazier

authorbrucesarte

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Actually, if you have DSL it might be your network in conjuction with the Roku box. On your other devices, the Netflix player does a slightly better job or stepping down the quality of the video coming from Netflix then the Netflix Channel on Roku. I've noticed my Roku HD doesn't do a great job of it. Now, my network is more robust than yours so it doesn't really affect me whereas with the slower DSL connection it may be that the Roku isn't stepping down adequately enough. The *real* issue is Netflix's (ill-advised) decision to switch from Flash to Silverlight technology a couple of years back... but that part is just my opinion.

You can complain all you like to them, but the bottom line is you probably either need to ditch the Roku or upgrade your Internet connection.
Bruce A. Sarte
Author, Towering Pines Volume One: Room 509
http://www.bruceasarte.com

jazernorth
Topic Author

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:31 pm

authorbrucesarte wrote:
Actually, if you have DSL it might be your network in conjuction with the Roku box. On your other devices, the Netflix player does a slightly better job or stepping down the quality of the video coming from Netflix then the Netflix Channel on Roku. I've noticed my Roku HD doesn't do a great job of it. Now, my network is more robust than yours so it doesn't really affect me whereas with the slower DSL connection it may be that the Roku isn't stepping down adequately enough. The *real* issue is Netflix's (ill-advised) decision to switch from Flash to Silverlight technology a couple of years back... but that part is just my opinion.

You can complain all you like to them, but the bottom line is you probably either need to ditch the Roku or upgrade your Internet connection.

You would think... but NOT the case.... I can't even get the Instant Queue to show up on my Roku. It worked 5 weeks ago, perfectly fine. It worked for months before that, with a few times where it didn't work, but not enough to complain. This time it has been 5 weeks, nothing from Roku. This is TOTALLY a ROKU issue. 100% Roku problem.

I am tired of their lack of Customer Support ... I am tired of not being able to watch Netflix on it. I am tired of the crap Roku has been providing the last 5 weeks. I will NEVER refer Roku to a friend. I will NEVER buy Roku again. I will complain until Roku refunds my device.

authorbrucesarte

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:12 pm

OK, well then it sounds like you should just return your box to me. Mine works fine and listening to others on this site, there's does too...

Stupid question: have you tried re-flashing your Roku? The re-adding the Netflix channel?
Bruce A. Sarte
Author, Towering Pines Volume One: Room 509
http://www.bruceasarte.com

wataga123

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Answer the questions i asked and we may be able to help. If you want to cry and complain, go elsewhere. Having dsl means nothing, at what speed and what does your speed test say? Brand and make of modem and router. Wired or wireless? Reset the Roku? Reset the modem? Reset the router? Tried the Roku at somebody else house? Some of us use our Rokus with no faults at all. If you have narrowed it done to the Roku, just send it back, they have a warranty.

jazernorth wrote:
I've sent in multiple help emails directly to 'customer support'.... BUT I'll put it here ....

Roku XD.
I use DSL and ALL OTHER DEVICES that play Netflix play it perfectly. ... SO IT AIN'T my network.
It is Roku Device... plain and simple.

Please do not try to trouble shoot my network or connections, because that is not it. I've been down every testing road possible and it just comes down to Roku XD and Netflix do not play....

I am expecting a refund from Roku for 2 months of Netflix, and yes, a full refund of my Roku XD box... Yup, I'll be glad to send it back.