Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

LuvNetflix
Topic Author

Question re:a wireless router

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Recently moved and at new place computer is in another room. Previously, computer was next to TV and had roku hooked up by ethernet. Will I be able to hook up roku if I puchase a wireless router? Currently, the internet service I have does not have wireless capabilities. They offer it but I do not have it. Do I have to have wireless added to internet service in order to use my roku box?

LuvNetflix
Topic Author

Re: Question re:a wireless router

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:59 pm

Nevermind, I don't need any responses. I found the answer. :)

mesoconfused

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Have same question. What was the answer if you don't mind?

iliveonthenet

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:02 pm

If you have cable or DSL and need your Roku to work on wireless, you can get a wireless router, and place it relatively close to your computer and ISP modem or cable box. Your computer and your ISP modem or cable box will be connected to your wireless router via standard network cables.

http://www.mobilefish.com/tutorials/lin ... ation.html has a tutorial for a LinkSys, but concepts for set up and configuration are similar for most wireless routers. When you configure the wireless router, the following DNS numbers that have to be entered on the router configuration web page Use 208.67.222.222 as Primary and 208.67.220.220 as secondary.

Once your wireless router is set up and configured, a Roku box can detect it, and stream content to your HD TV. The closer the Roku box is to the wireless router, the stronger the wireless connection, the better the performance of the wirelessly-streamed content.

LuvNetflix
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks.

Question - When you say standard network cables do you mean an ethernet cable? The reason I ask is there is only one ethernet port on my cable modem which is being used.

Will I need to purchase an adapter?

meternerd

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:36 am

LuvNetflix wrote:
Thanks.

Question - When you say standard network cables do you mean an ethernet cable? The reason I ask is there is only one ethernet port on my cable modem which is being used.

Will I need to purchase an adapter?

The ethernet cable going to your computer from you modem plugs into the WAN port of your router, then you plug a new ethernet cable from port 1 of the router to your computer. Setting up the wireless network is usually explained on a CD or manual that comes with the router. You do not have to buy an adapter if your Roku is already wireless ready. I ended up running an ethernet cable to my new Roku XDS box because the speed was higher than with wireless. I have the tools to build my own cables, so it was pretty straightforward. Works great! Full screen 1080p instead of the old smaller screen and lousy resolution using my laptop and an analog video cable.