Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dcross
Topic Author

Roku not connecting to Roku Server

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:54 am

New Roku XD|S device (first time user). Connected to secure home wireless network successfully using proper WEP key. Roku connected successfully to internet and automatically downloaded its SW upgrade. The unit restarted and came back up OK. At the next config screen I was prompted to set my Time/Timezone settings. The timezone was set correctly (Eastern...I am in Philadelphia area), but the time displayed was incorrect (showed 8PM when it was 12PM). Next, the Roku device tried to connect to the Roku server with the following error:
"Activtion issue - There was a problem connecting to the Roku server"

Am I missing a step here?
Is the Roku server unavailable often?
Anything I can do to further diagnose this issue?

Thanks,
Dan

RDenet

Re: Roku not connecting to Roku Server

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:32 pm

I've had the exact same problem and called Roku support to no avail. I'm interested to see what response you get. I was very exicted about getting the roku and hope I don't have to return it. I brought it through Amazon and wonder if that may be an issue.

bigcookie

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm having the same problem with my newly purchased Roku XD. It went through the software installation, the time was wrong, and then I got the "Unable to connect with the server". I'm giving up on it tonight and I'll try again tomorrow. Roku might be getting their product returned to them.

thunv

Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Supposedly you can reset the unit by removing all cables except for the power, hold down the reset button on the bottom for 40 seconds and then pull out the power cords while still holding reset, wait 10 seconds, then reconnect everything. This should solve the problem. For us, it does nothing.

From what I hear, calling tech support will only tell you this suggestion, and nothing else.

bigcookie

Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:29 am

I got my Roku up and running this morning. I unplugged the power cord and the HDMI cable from the Roku unit and pushed the reset button for 2 seconds. I hooked it up and it gave me the code almost instantly. The rest of the setup didn't give me any problems.

johnnysacs

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:28 pm

Same issue with ROKU- no connection to Roku server. Tried all the tricks. ROKU is not ready for primetime use. Judging by all the forum discussions on this site and the internet in general; ROKU has way too many glitches. Time to return it.

mike_xxqx

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Dan, I had the same problem. Today I checked the wireless settings for my router and found it was set to transmit on channel 6. For kicks I set it to auto select a channel and presto roku started working. Hope this works for you also.

Methinks the update was roached.

mike

tab1080

Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:49 am

Im having the same problem - i cant get past the first screen because it tells me 'there was a problem connecting to Roku server. Select back to change your network settings, or try again later.' But when I hit back it only takes me to the opening screen and doesnt let me go to settings. Just going to have to wait till the morning to call tech support.

This device is already a headache and I'm not past the opening setup. Not a good sign. Refund is about to be in order...

kayla

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:20 am

Folks, I have Verizon Fios and ahve the same problem. Just got off the phone with Verizon. They had me do a tracer on http://www.roku.com The tracer showed that my 'ping' was timing out on a rackspace.net server, which Verizon found out is the host company for Roku. Based on advice from Verizon, I turned off my router for ten minutes and tried again. It ended up timing out, and the same routing problem occurred.

I think Roku needs to step up and fix the routing problem on their server.

By the way if you want to do this, and have a pc, go into 'command prompt' (through your accessories feature in your program menu) and just type tracert http://www.roku.com
You'll get the full report of where it's going and where it times out.

While I'm bummed that it's still not working, at least now I've got proof it's a Roku server issue.
Anyone have any advice at this point?

SDsc_rch

i got past this - i think i solved this

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:26 pm

this is what i did

i initially connected up wired (vice wlan)

but.. seeing wired yeilded the same result (ie... "there was a problem connecting to the roku server") i had to come up with another way around this

all i did though was cycle the power

the next time roku turned on, it gave me a code to type into the roku website (they also gave a URL)

anyway... if anybody is finding this thread from google (its one of the top results), try that!

you're welcome
;)
SDsc_rch
All San Diego Computer Repair - http://www.AllSanDiegoComputerRepair.com