Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TWoods68
Topic Author

Feature Request: POWER On/Off

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I bought my Roku box specifically to use on a bedroom TV with no AV jacks and a digital converter for OTA broadcast stations. My setup was to use an RF modulator that would auto switch from my converter box to the Roku whenever the Roku would power on. Imagine my surprise when I found the Roku has no power on/off capability. To me this seems more like an oversight than a convenience. Every appliance should have some way to turn it off. Always on is not always desirable.

(and if there is some way to power the Roku on and off, I will stand corrected, if only someone can point me in the proper direction!)

destruk

Re: Feature Request: POWER On/Off

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:47 am

Pull the power cord?

TWoods68
Topic Author

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Yeah, I am really not keen on getting out of the bed at 11pm, just so I can switch between watching some HULU and the local news before I sleep. I mean honestly, that is like saying get up and pull the power cord to switch the TV off. Who wants to do that? And who would call that a reasonable way to power off an appliance?

destruk

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:25 pm

If you want it to turn off at a set time, you can buy a $5 timer from wal-mart that will work. Even if it had a power switch, to truly be 'off' you wouldn't be able to use the remote control to turn it on. Most TV's have standby so the remote will activate them again. A physical power switch doesn't help you with your 'get out of bed' issue either, so try the timer system.
http://www.epinions.com/review/Brinks_T ... 4917422724

Burkhardi

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku