I received a Roku XDS box for Christmas. I set it up on Christmas Day and so far it's been working.
- From time to time a stream will stop to "catch up." My broadband connection is advertised as 12mbps down and 1mbps up. I've tested these speeds and they are fairly accurate. I have a wireless n router that is maybe 15 to 20 feet from the Roku box. There is a wall between the router and the roku box. I'm not sure if the bottleneck is due to the wireless connection or if my broadband connection (outside the home) gets clogged. I may run a cable to the router and see if I notice any difference.
- I activated my free one-month netflix trial. It's addictive and I'll probably continue using it after the free month. I amazed at the amount of non-hd content, but I suppose that is a netflix complaint (if a program can be in HD, it should be in HD). I know netflix is available through various ways but I don't want to watch on my notebook computer or smartphone and I don't have any gaming systems. Roku is fine for me (for now).
- I can't bring myself to sign up for Hulu+. I wish there was a channel for regular Hulu (and/or the videos on abc.com, cbs.com, etc).
- I'm not always crazy about the interface. For example, with Facebook Photos and Youtube channels, you have to scroll through the selections one at a time. If you're looking for video/picture number 100, it takes a while. I wish these (and other channels) had more of a netflix-type interface.
- Even though the Roku XDS supposedly plays 1080p HD video, the vast majority of HD streams seem to be in 720p mode. In fact, I'm not sure I've noticed any 1080p streams. Where are all of the 1080p streams?
Just some comments from a Roku Rookie. So far I like the Roku box very much.