Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mak007
Topic Author

Can't connect to local network ROKU XD

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Hello, all.

Sorry to be just one more poster in the long line of "can't connect" posters, but I am trying to set up the Roku XD I bought my mom for Christmas and I only have a limited window of time (today and tomorrow morning) when I will be home to do this for her.

I am able to start the set-up process, select our full-bars, wireless internet network (provided through a Linksys WRT54G Broadband router located upstairs), type in our password (security info), and get to the "connecting to the Internet" screen. It will turn red on the very initial option of "conecting to wireless network" and then tell me to, if MAC filtering is enabled (which it was not initially), to enter my PLayer's MAC address in my router's settings.

Now, I'm very illiterate when it comes to technology. I was able to pull up my router info online. I enabled MAC filtering, entered that code, and tried again, to no results. I also entered a primary and secondary DNS number and that did nothing, even though I restarted the Roku after every time I made changes. My router is also set to Channel 6, as many people suggested.

What else can I possibly do at this point? Outside of sending it back, of course.

I bought the same router for my sister and brother-in-law for Xmas and theirs set up fine in their apartment; however, they were unable to set up the one for my mom at her house over break when I was gone. I have now tried reading this forum and troubleshooting, and nothing is working. My boyfriend and I have a different, older model at our apartment and we have never experienced this issue. I would really appreciate some easy-to-follow support on this.

NOTE: I have not connected this roku to the internet once, so I have not yet hit the "Activation" page.
Thank you so much for your suggestions.

dgrace

Re: Can't connect to local network ROKU XD

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Is the router working for the computer? I'm assuming that you've confirmed the router is accessing the internet. I've got the same router and works like a charm. I'm not using MAC filtering, but WPA for a simple passphrase security. Confirm abck that your computer (I assume a PC) is able to get on the 'net, then we can work through the router to roku issue.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ