Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

aagha
Topic Author

Will Roku work with my NAS?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm

I have a NAS as part of my home wireless network. I was told about Roku by a friend who has it and is in love with it and I was curious to know if I could set up a Roku box with my TV in one room and access my NAS via wifi to play .mp3's, .mp4's, .avi's, etc.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

SuetyStanes

Re: Will Roku work with my NAS?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm

There are private channels that provide this, but nothing official. The file formats are limited as well however.

aagha
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:21 pm

SuetyStanes wrote:
There are private channels that provide this, but nothing official. The file formats are limited as well however.

Could you please elaborate on "private channels"? Do you mean hacking the Roku?

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:58 pm

aagha wrote:
SuetyStanes wrote:

Could you please elaborate on "private channels"? Do you mean hacking the Roku?

Go over to the "roku streaming player general discussion forum" instead of this one and do a search of "usb channel"

Marcomike

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:44 am

By private channels, they means channales like vimeo etc... which you upload to their servers then watch on roku.... it really defeats the purpose eh.................. :D as for the Nas, I talk to Tech support and was told that at this time you cannot access your NAS or network directly thru Roku's box it's in the work or if you know enough programing get the sdk info and hack it....

SuetyStanes

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Marcomike wrote:
By private channels, they means channales like vimeo etc... which you upload to their servers then watch on roku.... it really defeats the purpose eh.................. :D as for the Nas, I talk to Tech support and was told that at this time you cannot access your NAS or network directly thru Roku's box it's in the work or if you know enough programing get the sdk info and hack it....

No...I mean the SDK is open to the public, so it's possible to create your own channel. Some people have done this and chosen to share the code to use the channel publicly, so there are more than the "official" channels. You don't have to create your own or "hack" the device, just use one of the user generated channels.