Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Brandrew
Topic Author

Why we will never see any FREE Network TV on a Roku

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:35 am

Interesting Article I found while viewing FREE TV on TV.com. http://venturebeat.com/2010/06/24/clearleap-roku/

As long as Roku is partnering with these type "Middle Men" like Clearleap and Hulu for profit and not going after the sources like ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox, we will never see full episode quality free TV on the Roku. I guess I'll sell my Roku and continue with my computer HDMI connection to the TV.

Actual quote from the article I just love: "Users will be able to pay for the content on their current cable or satellite bills." WHAT??? I would not have those providers if I was watching on the ROKU.

It's like the Government in the past wanting to charge us a nickel to sent an E-mail to give to the Post Office to pay for the lack of mail being sent due to the new technology cutting into profits. Satellite/Cable old, Web Streaming new and already FREE on my computer just not to hardware that makes it convenient to watch on your tv. Why should the new have anything to do with keeping the old in business.

whiteice

Re: Why we will never see any FREE Network TV on a Roku

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:30 am

Do yourself a favor and read the article for yourself.

The article talks about Clearleap puting the video on demand services from cable companies on a channel on Roku.

Here's an actual quote from Brandrew's post:
"As long as Roku is partnering with these type "Middle Men" like Clearleap and Hulu for profit and not going after the sources like ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox . . "

Hmm, that's interesting. Especially because Hulu.com is a joint venture between NBC, Fox and ABC. They operate the web site. If the major networks wanted to have their own channels on Roku, don't you think they would.

I think the real question here is why Brandrew bought a Roku when his/her computer was hooked up to their TV with an HDMI cable. My guess is this comment was caused by Brandrew finally figuring out that they didn't need the Roku box in the first place.

I'd also like to point out that the original article linked to in the above comment, is from JUNE 24 2010. It's over six months old.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:36 pm

me thinks someone broke into their daddy's liquor cabinet... The "submit" button is not a toy...

Brandrew
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:12 am

:D The fact that these networks are the creator of the free HULU web site (yes, I know is was an experiment) and offer the content FREE on their web site then my comment stands, "WE WILL NEVER SEE ANY FREE NETWORK TV ON THE ROKU". My Beef is with Roku not providing such channels as Playon TV (as it once did), TV.com and HULU Free as an option to the PAY HULU. Providing these channels would be conflict of interest, the interest in conflict is for profit.
If you like paying for things that are free, I have a refillable bottle of air I'll sell you for five bucks a month. Just open the bottle each month when you write the check.
Personally I bought this Roku toy because of all the great things that others were saying about it, how channels were added all the time. With all the free TV content available for FREE on the web it would just be a matter of time before it's available on this convenient bridge box to my TV, Roku. Seemed to me that network streaming was the thing to replace the Cable and Satellite providers as there pricing goes out of reach to most us common people. Obviously, it's not. Streaming TV is a novelty if your already paying Cable and Satellite, "Users will be able to pay for the content on their current cable or satellite bills. The novelty is like the joy of "breaking into daddy's liquor cabinet", short lived fun then your sick the next day that you did it.
I'm sorry I bought into this toy. When asked about the services on the Roku, my advice is get a good antenna for the TV and rent from the dollar box for movies. If your trying to get away from your cable company Roku is not the answer. If you want to stream movies there are other devices out there like the Western Digital LIVE Media player that actually does have some good programming on it and has many other great features that the Roku is just not designed to do.

About to play with my new toy -<SUBMIT>-

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Brandrew wrote:
:D The fact that these networks are the creator of the free HULU web site (yes, I know is was an experiment) and offer the content FREE on their web site then my comment stands, "WE WILL NEVER SEE ANY FREE NETWORK TV ON THE ROKU". My Beef is with Roku not providing such channels as Playon TV (as it once did), TV.com and HULU Free as an option to the PAY HULU. Providing these channels would be conflict of interest, the interest in conflict is for profit.
If you like paying for things that are free, I have a refillable bottle of air I'll sell you for five bucks a month. Just open the bottle each month when you write the check.
Personally I bought this Roku toy because of all the great things that others were saying about it, how channels were added all the time. With all the free TV content available for FREE on the web it would just be a matter of time before it's available on this convenient bridge box to my TV, Roku. Seemed to me that network streaming was the thing to replace the Cable and Satellite providers as there pricing goes out of reach to most us common people. Obviously, it's not. Streaming TV is a novelty if your already paying Cable and Satellite, "Users will be able to pay for the content on their current cable or satellite bills. The novelty is like the joy of "breaking into daddy's liquor cabinet", short lived fun then your sick the next day that you did it.
I'm sorry I bought into this toy. When asked about the services on the Roku, my advice is get a good antenna for the TV and rent from the dollar box for movies. If your trying to get away from your cable company Roku is not the answer. If you want to stream movies there are other devices out there like the Western Digital LIVE Media player that actually does have some good programming on it and has many other great features that the Roku is just not designed to do.

About to play with my new toy -<SUBMIT>-

I have a WD Live Plus and it does NOT have any streaming content that differs substantially from what can be found on the Roku. You obviously don't have alot of idea about the business of creating and broadcasting programming, how its paid for, licensing rights, and monetization, because if you did you would realize you aren't going to see free network tv on ANY streaming device, at least for a long time anyway. You can have your "beef" as you put it, but the beef you should have is with yourself that you didn't do enough research to understand what you were getting into. Just return it instead of lamenting on a forum full of users who are quite happy with it.

nashbstn

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 am

Doesn't make financial sense.

Old people leave their TV on all day so that could easily cost them upwards of $30/month/customer unless they use an extremely low quality feed on which you can't even read the text (such as closed captioning).

Brandrew
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:09 pm

:D Just finished watching the last FULL episode of Parenthood FREE on the NBC web site on my streaming device (MAC Computer connected to my LCD TV via a DVI to HDMI connector).
:D Think I'll go over to FX and watch a FREE FULL episode of Sons of Anarchy.

:idea: Get the picture? Comparing my computer to the Roku, both are streaming devises only I"ll have to pay on the Roku, etc. I understand programming cost money in this Capitalistic county we live. If there's a chance to make a buck and someone is willing to pay, so be it. If a network is offering programs to stream to my computer for free from the web site it sponsors it should be also free elsewhere at no extra cost, unless they want to show without commercial interruptions. That's what Netflix is for.

Here I go with my toy again -<SUBMIT>-