Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

technoViking
Topic Author

Thinking about buying a Roku but questions

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi everyone.

I was thinking about purchasing a computer which will cost around $600. This will allow me to stream video/audio (mp3's). I can also get hulu as well for free.

I want Roku to allow me to watch hulu (for free) and also stream music for free. Is this possible with Roku or do they make you pay a monthly fee? Also is Roku a one time purchase of $99? If I don't use itunes can I still easily stream music through Roku or how exactly does Roku store all the music if I had say 120gb of music? Can Roku access my computer (which has the music) and Roku just act as a client who just plays music through the network while all the music is still stored on my computer (server)?

I also was looking at Apple tv (as it will allow you to stream music over itunes for free) but it won't allow you to play hulu which makes me not want it.

Thanks

SuetyStanes

Re: Thinking about buying a Roku but questions

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 pm

No streaming device offers Hulu, let alone for free. The only way to watch it on your tv at this time is to hook a computer up to your tv.

technoViking
Topic Author

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I see! thanks for the info! I think I'm just going to buy a cheap computer it seems like less hassle!

Frazier

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:57 pm

You can access Hulu through the Playon channel with your Roku. Of course you pay for the service, it is like $39.00 per year for Playon. I would suggest trying the Playon 14 day trial first, from my experience I was not impressed because of the loading of the vids and the sound. Not very good.

Frazier