Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

aoakes
Topic Author

Pandora and Roku

Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:04 am

Have the folks at Roku talked at all with the folks at Pandora? I have been playing with this service for the last couple of days -- see www.pandora.com -- and wonder how my Soundbridge might someday stream what I have created on Pandora. Just curious -- thanks.

triplefret

Re: Pandora and Roku

Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:53 pm

aoakes wrote:
Have the folks at Roku talked at all with the folks at Pandora? I have been playing with this service for the last couple of days -- see www.pandora.com -- and wonder how my Soundbridge might someday stream what I have created on Pandora. Just curious -- thanks.

I'd be another who would appreciate that. I really like Pandora.

RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:59 pm

We've been giving it some thought, but nothing serious yet.

cwilmers

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:46 pm

aoakes wrote:

That would be great! Someone make it happen please....

rem

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:36 pm

just checked pandora out. and i have to say that i like it. :P very innovative thinking.
rem
roku digital video player wireless
m500 hard-wired (2)
m1000 hard-wired (1)
firefly mediaserver on winxp
firefly mediaserver on mss+
d-link dgl-4300 router
(static ip on everything...except the netflix player)

allenc3

Slim Devices and Pandora

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:13 pm

Looks like it won't happen. Slim Devices cooked up a deal with Pandora.
Roku M1000, M500, SB Radios, Netflix Player, WiFi, Win7, Windows Home Server, Verizon FIOS router

MP3 Mike

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:19 pm

When I asked Pandora they said they were interested in working with Roku, but they were busy and not to that point yet. See my post about it.

goldend329

Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:55 am

For me this is a very important feature (almost as important as the ability to fast forward).

It was almost the reason why I returned my new SB Radio, as I really like Pandora, and the Slim devlices implementation was very compelling.
David Golden

howardn

Pandora and Soundbridge

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:45 am

I really need Roku to support Pandora. If not I will buy Squeezebox instead. Is there a timetable for a decision?
HN

grommet

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:40 pm

If this is a priority for you, I suggest you buy a Squeezebox... or use Slimserver with the old Squeezebox emulation on the SoundBridge. (Actually, that might not work... I think they exclude our emulated Squeezeboxes at registration. Sorry.)

Remember, Squeezebox has a totally different design... it's fully driven by Slimserver on the PC... unlike the server agnostic smart client model the SoundBridge uses. This would be more than just a simple addition.

Relic

Roku / Pandora

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:53 pm

I would just like to add my voice to those begging for a way to use Pandora with the Roku.

Although intruigued by one user's post advising a way to use two programs (shoutcast and simplecast) to accomplish this, it seems prohibitively difficult until I can get a tech-oriented person to explain it to me.

I hope Roku will come up with something, as this seems to be a major selling point for the squeezebox device.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:36 pm

grommet wrote:
If this is a priority for you, I suggest you buy a Squeezebox... or use Slimserver with the old Squeezebox emulation on the SoundBridge. (Actually, that might not work... I think they exclude our emulated Squeezeboxes at registration. Sorry.)

Remember, Squeezebox has a totally different design... it's fully driven by Slimserver on the PC... unlike the server agnostic smart client model the SoundBridge uses. This would be more than just a simple addition.

To expand on that... Pandora is only available on the SqueezeBox through their online SqueezeNetwork service, meaning the it's not available through the open source SlimServer. They had to set up a special deal with Pandora to make it accessible to the SqueezeBox devices. The same/similar type of deal would need to happen between Roku and Pandora to make it possible to listen on the SoundBridge. Per this post, Pandora has apparently expressed interest in working with Roku, but have no plans to do so in the near term (as of March).

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jtbse

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:45 am

Piling on here a bit :) ...

I too am a big fan of Pandora, but besides the business agreement needed, this also may not be trivial for Roku and Pandora from a technical point of view either.

Pandora is Flash-based, and downloads music files to local cache, so it's not just as easy as getting Soundbridge to accept a radio stream.

Not quite sure how Slim devices pulled it off, but I'm guessing that through the Squeeze Network, they're able capture the Flash content on their servers and then turn around and stream it to the Squeezebox.

Doesn't work with either a Soundbridge emulating a Squeezebox *or* the SoftSqueeze player running on a PC. And requires a subscription fee, unlike just running Pandora on your computer.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:08 am

jtbse wrote:
Not quite sure how Slim devices pulled it off, but I'm guessing that through the Squeeze Network, they're able capture the Flash content on their servers and then turn around and stream it to the Squeezebox.

It's actually a bit simpler than that. The Flash interface is just a client that talks to the server via XML/RPC. The music is actually delivered as standard (128kbps?) mp3 files over http. The "magic" part, as far as the client is concerned, is the encrypted data that is exchanged between the client and the server that establishes your identity (retrieves your "stations"). I'm guessing it's that initialization step that requires working directly with Pandora.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

joshuaholland

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:21 am

I was able to paste a Pandora station URL into Favorite Radio Stations and stream through my SoundBridge okay. I just used Pandora's "e-mail this station" link to send myself the URL and then pasted it into a Favorite Station in the SoundBridge's web interface. It doesn't display song info...but, oh well.