Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

FoxKat

Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:20 pm

Boulderite, I wonder if perhaps the existing SlimServer configuration you have now, can't possibly mate with OddCast, allowing you to use OddCast/SlimServer in the same way as I am using OddCast/IceCast2.

I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but, isn't a web streaming application, essentially the same from maker to maker?

Basilisk, how do I get onto that Beta Test?????? :-)

Andyg, guy, I wish I could help you, but I am neither well versed in mac, nor able to test any configurations, since I don't own one. I do believe, however, that much like boulderite's situation, there must be a "coctail" of server utilities that can work as a team to accomplish what I was able to do with Odd/Ice...

I would be interested in helping you, so if you find some alternatives, I could possibly help work through the configurations with you. Not the most efficient way of doing things, but we must do, with what we have...

andyg

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:59 am

FoxKat,

cheers for the offer :D I feel sure if you'd owned a mac as well you'd have us up & running!

There's definitely a workaround - it''s just figuring it out, so if anyone else out there has some thoughts lets pitch in. Unfortunately my unix knowledge is virtually zero and there's bound to be some non-gui unix solution that could be hitched to nicecast to sort it.

ps. I enjoyed your rant on the "cross-thread" posting... :roll:
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

andyg

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:00 pm

ok, so I think I have it cracked and the solution was kind of staring me in the face... :roll:

These instructions are for Mac OS X users

Download Nicecast http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/

It's free to download & test out but after 20 mins or so, 'noise' gets overlaid on the broadcast so it will set you back $40 to use a fully functional version.

It's a simple .dmg app. Install & open it up, making sure you have the Broadcast & Server windows showing.

Broadcast first: Hit the Source button and select your source, which will be Safari or Firefox depending on which browser you use. You can leave the advanced button alone.

Go into Quality and choose Custom from the preset option. Set the bitrate to 320, Sample rate to 48.000khz and Channels to Stereo.

To the Server window:

Choose Built-in Server (the only option when you first start Nicecast)
Make sure the button on the right of the window says Stop. Then uncheck the Address option in the Network area and enter your computer's IP address ie. 192.168.x.x The port should be set to either 8000 or 8100.

In access control set the number of users to 1 (assuming your broadcasting to 1 roku unit)

Using the built-in server you shouldn't need to specify a Name & Password in access control, but to be sure you can eneter that information. You should be able to do this either in boxes in access control or do it through the .plist file. If for some reason you have problems entering the password in the interface you can find the .plist file is /yourusername/Library/Prefs and the file is called 'com.rogueamoeba.nicecast.plist'. Open it up and scroll down to the line with OwnerPassword. Double click in the 'Value' column and enter your desired password. Hit return, quit out and save if it asks you to.

Now bring up the Roku's control page via Bookmarks/Bonjour in your browser and go into the Presets page. Choose yourself an unused preset and enter the following info in the url box:

http://192.168.x.x:8100/listen.m3u (where x is of course the IP address of your mac)

Now you need to go into System Preferences and open up that 8000 or 8100 port you specified in the server setup. So,, System Prefs>Sharing>Firewall>New

In Port name, scroll down to Other and choose that. In TCP port, put in that 8000 or 8100 number you chose. UDP leave blank and then give it a name ie. Pandora. OK that and quit System Prefs.

you should now be ready to broadcast to your SB. Bring up Pandora and start that playing through your web browser. Go back to Nicecast and in the Server window hit the Start button. The status should change to Active. Go to the Broadcast window and hit the Start Broadcast button. The state should change to On Air and you'll see the peak meter spring into life. Head to your SB and browse to the Pandora preset in Internet Radio and all things being well, you should be in business.

If for any reason you get a connection error message in the broadcast window, hit the Share button and you'll see the address you're broadcasting on. The 'internet' and 'local' addresses should be the same, and correspond with what you enetered in the Preset url box in the Roku Presets page.

Enjoy! :D
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

FoxKat

My little protoge'...

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:33 am

andyg wrote:
ok, so I think I have it cracked and the solution was kind of staring me in the face... :roll: ...

Enjoy! :D

AndyG, you make me so proud... :cry:

That's totally cool!

8)

So happy we have both platforms on board now! That is, until some software manufacturer (ahem...Microsoft/Apple), changes something and breaks the process...or the provider (ahem...Pandora), figures out a way to prevent what's playing through the sound card, from also being captured.

:lol:

We will see.

Way to go AndyG!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

moloko

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:47 am

I have followed the instructions and everything works fine--the SB finds the stream and plays it, but--no audio. I am pretty sure the problem lies in the fact that I do not have "Record Master" as a pull-down option in the connection dialog. Did I forget to check something off during install?

BTW, I have installed the Winamp plugin, which works like a charm, as long as the source is Winamp and not the soundcard.

FoxKat

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:29 am

moloko, it doesn't have to be "Record Master", as the instructions say. The name of the choice you make has everything to do with your specific sound card. I mentioned the "Record Master", as the one on my PC, simply because that is the one that represents a port not specific to a function or outside source (like "line-in", "mic", "midi", etc.).

Try any of the choices that are NOT port specific, and you will eventually find the one for yours. It could be as simple as "wav", or "source".

MartinW

Roku & Pandora + Linux

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 am

This is also very straightfoward to do using a Linux box. Simply
install icecast2 and liveice.

1) Play the Pandora "station" on your browser
2) Start your icecast server

I'm using Debian/etch. For this case, you will have to make a new
encrypted password using makepasswd and put this in your
/etc/icecast/icecast.conf file (if you haven't already configured
icecast). Obviously, other distributions will vary.

3) Configure liveice to capture the soundcard output

Use your icecast password. Point at port 8000. Tweak the encoder
prefs to your satifaction. E.g. 44.1Khz sample rate + Stereo. I'm
using esdmon since I've got gnome running.

4) Put your local server into your soundbridge presets lists

That's it!

goldend329

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:36 pm

Thanks for all this valuable information. I'm attempting to configure this on a PC, and am facing three problems from what's documented, both resulting in this not working.

1) Within IceCast, Source Level Stats, I only see the Total Bytes Read number changing. Total Bytes Sent stays on zero
2) Within Outcast, I only next to my SoundCard, I only see Microphone. I don't see an option which says what's referred to in the notes. Should I change ot something else? If so, what?
3) After changing to preset, the SoundBridge stays on Trying To Stream 1 of 1 and output is not produced.

I believe these all are inter-related and your guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
David Golden

goldend329

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:45 pm

Please hold off on replying to the previous post. I'm still working and resolving the issue. Typos may of resulted, which is why I have errors.

I'll keep you posted.
David Golden

goldend329

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:01 pm

I was able to get all working. I'll post updates tomorrow, but noticed a few updates for the instructions which will help (or prove I'm a bad reader :-)).

In the meantime, does anyone have guidance on how I can configure this as well as the presets for the multiple Pandora "Radio Stations" I have, or other methods to get to the multiple genres I use in Pandora?
David Golden

FoxKat

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:11 pm

Goldend329,

Your question on how to configure "presets" is somewhat confusing to me. Are you asking if you need to have separate servers running to listen to different Pandora stations? If so, the answer would be, well, it can't be done. Since the server is only capturing what is being played, and serving it out to the net, if you play more than one station at a time, you will have those multiple stations coming out blended together as one stream of jumbled audio.

If you want to listen to the other stations, you would just have to select the other stations, and the music would change as it comes from the sound card, and so, change on the served stream as well.

There is no way I am aware of, to set up the multiple pandora stations as "presets" on the SoundBridge, unless you have multiple PCs, all running servers on different ports, and assigned each PC with a specific Pandora station running. Then you could set the multiple PCs as separate presets on the SoundBridge.

ar

works great

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:02 pm

FoxKat,

Just wanted to say thanks for figuring this out, it works great! I wasn't interested in Pandora, in my case I am an amateur musician and have been looking for a way to play back piano recordings quickly. I use Audacity to record with but I wanted to be able to record and then stream to my stereo for playback rather than my cheesy computer speakers. With this setup I can record and just use the playback in Audacity and like magic it plays out through my stereo. Of course I could of done this with a set of cables, but that would have have involved 50 ft of cable and a few hours in a crawlspace.

Thanks again!

FoxKat

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:06 pm

Dear AR,

I am glad you were able to use this workaround for your purposes. As mentioned in the solution, it will stream ANY music source (i.e. CD, MP3, FLAC, DVD, etc.) that plays through the sound card, even external sources being ported to the computer through either line-in or mic inputs on the card. This basically makes streaming of virtually any audio source a possibility.

It will also stream ANY audio source from the web, even audio in the background from websites, internet radio sources that are not accessible from a URL, again, essentially any audio that can be heard on your computer speakers, can be streamed to the SoundBridge or Sonos (see http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=32 for the Sonos instructions).

Unless the provider is able to create a way to play through the sound card, but not have it captured, this work around should continue working with all future formats and sources as well. There may be a way to do this with newer sound cards, but if so, I am unaware of it. I could see the music industry putting pressure on the manufacturers to create a way to roadblock audio at the source, but again, to get them to implement is one thing, to get the end user to upgrade (downgrade...), is another.
Last edited by FoxKat on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

akrug

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Goldend329,

I was experiencing the exact same problems you were with the Soundbridge/Pandora setup. If you get time, could you please post how you resolved the problem? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

mr rusty

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:35 am

I could see the music industry putting pressure on the manufacturers to create a way to roadblock audio at the source

I can't see this being very likely since so many PC's/Macs are used for music production where capturing audio going thru' the card is the principal function.