Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sbarber
Topic Author

Rhapsody Direct for SoundBridge

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:11 pm

It would be very nice not to have to turn on my PC to listen to Rhapsody via my Soundbridge M1000. I understand that's what Rhapsody Direct allows.

Looks like both Sonos and Slim Devices have released Rhapsody Direct support at this point.

Anyway, just created this thread because I couldn't find one dedicated to lobbying for this feature.

Apologies in advance if the existing hardware isn't enough to do such a thing; details on this stuff are hard to find.

partymonkey

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:27 am

I second this one big time! This is a must-have feature.

The squeezebox is within Roku price range....

mebby

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:31 pm

I just bought the Sonos system and MAN!! It rocks. The Rhasody Direct is pretty sweet. But the rest of the system just blew my socks off. The controller really is as good as you think it would be.

I do still have my two Roku Soundbridges though... I still love them. And they're perfect for certain situations.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

hvelez

Rhapsody Direct When?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:19 am

I just bought my second Roku, but the SlimPlayer looks good.

The key feature of the Slim is Rhapsody Direct.

Rhapsody with no PC on!!!

Is Rhapsody Direct going to be on the Roku. Simple question

Yes or No

Thanks!

partymonkey

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:45 pm

I'd like to know the answer to that question as well.

Will the Soundbridge have Rhapsody Direct soon?

pmb333

Fri May 18, 2007 7:00 am

I emphatically support this. One of the primary reasons I bought the Soundbridge was it's rhapsody support. What I've found though, is the Rhapsody Server is flaky at best. It essentially renders my soundbridge useless in that regard. I understand keeping product plans quiet and all, but when your competition already has a feature what advantage is it to keep quiet about it? Unless of course, Rokulabs doesn't intend to support this feature.

WifiRoks

Count me in for Rhapsody Direct! (and/or fixed presets)

Wed May 30, 2007 3:50 pm

It would be great if Rhapsody Direct could be made to work! So count me in.

For now, it would help to make Rhapsody Station UPnP presets work again. It drives my family crazy trying to get to Rhapsody stations.

Thanks

mraneri

Wed May 30, 2007 7:02 pm

This has been discussed now in numerous threads...

To summarize Roku's position, (if I may)

They are aware of it. They think it's really cool. But they do not discuss future development efforts, and have not stated whether they will or will not support Rhapsody Direct at some point in the future.

EDIT - Just found this post by RokuMike from yesterday...
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=12828&start=12

RokuMike

Thu May 31, 2007 12:19 am

That pretty much sums it up, yes!

jmd0116

Shame

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:38 pm

RokuMike wrote:
That pretty much sums it up, yes!

It really is a shame that this has not shown up and it really doesn't get hinted at. I owned 6 Roku's (2 m2000s and 4 m1000) and adored them. Was really active in the beta's and feedback and all that. But after seeing 2.5 then 2.7 then RadioRoku and no Rhapsody I finally jumped ship.

I went to Soundbridge and have to say that I still like the Roku more as a device
BUT

I have not had a computer turned on in months. I have full Rhapsody AND I put all of my 60 gigs of ZMP3's online in storages at mp3tunes.com and there they are on my Squeezebox. Add radio and Pandroa to boot. I had an Infrant NAS already -- it runs slimserver local--but honestly with the direct it is not needed.

It was a tough (and costly) switch, but I just felt like the device was not suiting my needs because of this.

I keep looking in though -- my hopes are that sooner or later I might see it. I figure each time I drop another $300 for a Squeezebox (3 now) I pop in here and hope that I might just be able to go back to my Rokus :-(

I am not being a whiner when I say to Roku -- "I think you all are missing the boat" and I truly think that more an dmore people like myself are going to have to make the switch because there is not even a hint of the possibility in the future.

Again - I swear this is not a bitch-fest email. Just an honest report of why I had to move my current loyalty. I have found similar (maybe not this many - but retiring their one roku and buying 1 slim device) situations with peers at work and friends. Maybe because it is my issue it appears like a big deal to me.

Anyway - glad I go tthat off my chest. I will keep looking and hoping I guess.

hvelez

I agree

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:17 am

I agree a 100% with "jmd0116" I have been with Roku from the very beginning. I own 3. We should at least have a hint of things to come.

A perfect example

I moved recently. No PC unpacked, nothing. Just my DSL setup for my VOIP. My Rokus on inside boxes in each room. Easy, sure. I will just add my Wireless Access point. Open the box that says "Roku Living Room" Plug it in, turn it on! and Presto!! Rhapsody Direct!!! Not!!! Happening!!!

We don't have it.

Sad

weinerdog

Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:54 pm

I've been out of the loop for a while as far as new features go. My M1000 usage is probably Rhapsody 75% of the time, so this feature is HUGE for me. I understand Roku's position that they can't comment and I'm more than happy with how the device has performed from day one. That said, seeing other devices that are further down the road in some respects capability wise gives me a reason to look at other options, so hopefully it's a feature we'll have available soon.

wh7w

I would buy a Soundbridge Radio right now if only...

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:52 am

...it supported Rhapsody Direct.

I have a Squeezebox connected to my stereo, and use it to listen to Rhadsody and to music stored on a Linux-based NAS box that runs SlimServer. Phenomenal solution.

I was about to order a Soundbridge Radio to access my music and Rhapsody in other parts of the house (baby's room, etc.), but changed my mind when I learned that I'd need to leave a Windows PC running in order to access Rhapsody. I have nothing against Windows, but I won't leave a 100W device running all the time in order to access Rhapsody from a different device.

I suppose I'll buy another Squeezebox instead, and "integrate" it with an old boombox using a soldering iron and a devil may care attitude.

jlsoaz

Re: Shame

Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:33 pm

jmd0116 wrote:

[...]

It was a tough (and costly) switch, but I just felt like the device was not suiting my needs because of this.

I keep looking in though -- my hopes are that sooner or later I might see it. I figure each time I drop another $300 for a Squeezebox (3 now) I pop in here and hope that I might just be able to go back to my Rokus :-(

I am not being a whiner when I say to Roku -- "I think you all are missing the boat" and I truly think that more an dmore people like myself are going to have to make the switch because there is not even a hint of the possibility in the future.

Wow. I hadn't looked into these issues for two years. Have been enjoying my M500 unit, just for internet radio, computer turned off. Now I come back to see what's going on. I hope they read posts such as yours (posted 6 months ago or otherwise) and stay competitive. The computer-turned-off aspect is by far the biggest selling point for me about my Roku unit. I want them to know that.

CareyRokuUser

Still Would Like Rhapsody Direct

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 am

Support for Rhapsody Direct is still my dream feature, but given the age of this thread, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Having to leave a computer running just to stream Rhapsody files seems pointless.