Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Binary Jay
Topic Author

Back to previous browse menu after playing... (???)

Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:34 am

I find myself having to frequently browse all the way back to wherever I was in the browse menus after I've started playing something and change my mind. Hitting the <- back button does nothing once you're in now-playing, and I'm forced to go all the way to the start of the navigation from the start (genre, artist, etc.)

This is extremely annoying sometimes. Is there a way around this?

LeoD

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:26 pm

I second that. Should be easy to implement.
If I just have listened to a Beethoven playlist and now want to listen to the next one it takes quite a while to scroll all over Bach and Barmusic again (or Bruckner and Brahms from the other side, not to mention all the pop artist with 'B')

Binary Jay
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:27 am

It seems logical to me for the menu hierarchy to remain after starting playback. Pressing the back/return button during playback should always go to the last menu item you were on before playback started or at least devise a way to allow us to go back to the song list at the level where that song was grouped and navigate up from there.

Can Roku please let us know if this could be on the to-do list for 3.0? I think it's a simple enough thing to implement (coming from a developer) and would greatly increase the usability of the product.

ElectronicBozo

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:46 pm

I have just buy a M1001 and a also think this feature is missing.
Being always redirected at the top of the hierarchy is very annoying.

jautor

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:37 pm

Fully agree, although Roku folks have previously stated that this is NOT an easy fix for them...

But as a partial workaround, note that using the <Add> button to select tracks instead of <Play> will return you to the previous position in the browse/search lists. This only works though, if music is already playing, as the Add function won't initiate playback.

Jeff

conajo

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:48 am

I bought my SB today :D and love it!

After using it for 2 hours I was already on the forum to look for a solution to the 'remember menu position' feature and found this thread... So take my vote to for a fix, too :wink:

If it's so hard to fix, maybe the '+' button could at least start playback as a convenient workaround.

Cheers!

bjorka

Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:00 am

I almost only use the SB for Internet radio because of this problem.
It is to frustrating to use it towards a media server when you have to browse from the beginning all the time.
Please take a look at the ipod to see a good interface for browsing music.

mmm

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:54 am

Agree. This is the most annoying thing about the soundbridge! Is there good workaround available?

Burkhardi

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:34 am

I would also like to see a feature that no matter where you are, if you press and hold the "menu" button, that it goes to the root menu. Since there is the root main menu and the main menu for the iRadio and/or music server and they only way to get back to the root is to select "change library or confi". It makes it hard to help a novice with their unit, or talk a friend through navatgation.

Press and hold "Menu" button for 2-sec = Root menu (the one that shows the servers that are there and "Play iRadio" option.

Just my 2-cents worth and your milage may vary, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jwarlow

Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:10 am

mmm wrote:
Agree. This is the most annoying thing about the soundbridge! Is there good workaround available?

A good work round is to control the SB with somethng like VisualMR. The Pocket PC version works very well and is akin to using a remote. Unfortunately it's an expensive solution if you don't already have a Pocket PC or maybe only have one SB to control.

Rich99

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am

Just thought I'd add my voice to these requests - I assumed I was being stupid when I couldn't work out how to go back to the previous view within the music hierarchy having hit play on a song. It's avery annoying omission when you've got a large collection of music & have to navigate all the way through it just to play another album by the same artist!!!

cakes

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:53 am

I would like this feature too !
Server: WXP-SP2 PC with Firefly and GBPVR (tv, video,...)
Clients:
1x soundbridge homemusic
2x Hauppauge media MVP

kahan

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:34 pm

I totally agree, being able to go back to the previous menu would be a huge improvement to it interface. I general the most used commands should be in the main menu, such as browe... this saves a lot of clicks in daily use.

This also means that less commonly used stuff (such as settings!) should be in a submenu like the 'change library...'

Otherwise thanks for a nice product.

jasonb

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:11 am

This is one of the single most annoying problems with the Roku. It is the main reason I don't use my player for anything more than a clock, and occasional internet radio player. I have thousands of songs, and without this functionality, it is impossible to casually browse through the music. Almost renders the player useless.

It has been my biggest disappointment, 2nd only to the difficultly creating playlists. If I could easily create playlists, then the issue of going back to the previous menu wouldn't be so bad.

In fact, I've been using my Xbox 360 instead because it does have the previous menu functionality, without trying to reload 1,000's of artist or songs or albums again.