Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Do you want this feature too? (option for switching off WLAN completely, at least during standby-mode and display off)

Yes
29 (88%)
No
4 (12%)

Total votes: 33

Alhifi
Topic Author

WLAN completely off during standby while display is off too

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:55 am

Hello Rokulabs,

i have a Soundbridge M1001 (european version from Pinnacle) with
the latest Firmware downloaded by the device himself. Everything
is working well, the Soundbridge is great. I use a WLAN-connection
with my access-point.

Last weekend i noticed that the WLAN is always activated during
standby-mode. My little son sickened with leukemia and the scientist
said, that this could happen because of electromagnetic radiation
(like WLAN, mobile telephoning etc.). Now i'am very sensitive what i
use at home and what not. If i had known this before i bought the
soundbridge, i had never bought it.

Also everyone in the world is discusting about the CO2-problem. The
soundbridge used 4 watts during play, 3 watts during standby, i think
because the WLAN is always on.

Is it possible during a next firmware-upgrade to switch off WLAN
completely while standby-mode is active? My personal wish is not to
decrease the CO2-production, but to minimize the risk for getting
diseases like leukemia by electromagnetic radiation.

I think this would be a feature many people would like to have. The
time to connect to the WLAN after coming up from standby-mode is about
1 or 2 seconds so that it should not be bad. Mayby it could be
implemented with an option in the settings like "turn off WLAN during
standby" or something like that.

kind regards
Alhifi

RokuMike

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm

We'll certainly consider it as a feature request, but I can't promise when or if it might be an available feature.

Alhifi
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:17 am

Hello Mike,

if i remember the documentation of my soundbridge, then the WLAN is deactivated while an ethernet-cable is connected to the soundbridge, is that correct? If it is, the functionality for switching off the WLAN is already implemented. The only thing to do is only to extend the standby-mode with something like

if soundbridge-state=standby and display=off and $setting-for-wlan-off-durring-standby=on then wlan=off

i think that should be not a big thing to implement in one of the next firmwares ...

Bye
Alhifi

Alhifi
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:16 am

blamm wrote:
Would this also speed allow my 11g network to run faster while the Roku was off?

Test it!

Unplugg your soundbridge from power supply system, test the speed on your WLAN. Then connect the soundbridge again, goto standby-modus and test it again. If it is slower then, this feature i want to implement of course will speed up your WLAN-network ...

Bye
Alhifi

humba

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:06 am

I wholeheartedly support this feature request - I think the Roku's standby is really beyond any reasonable standby.. it's the only device I know that besides the display really stays on all the way.
Would this also speed allow my 11g network to run faster while the Roku was off?
It depends on the network load, and interference (neighbors using channels close to yours, etc.) but generally, getting rid of b devices in a g network tends to improve performance speed-wise.

HarryDymond

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:13 am

The SoundBridge's "standby" is really just a "display sleep/standby" rather than anything else. The SoundBridge should have a "shutdown" option as well, that turns off everything apart from whatever's necessary to "listen" for a power-on request from the remote control. You should be able to turn off the display and networking, and put the CPU into "deep sleep" waking every 100 ms or so to check the IR receiver. Hopefully that would get "shutdown" power usage down below one watt.

mraneri

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:10 pm

humba wrote:
I wholeheartedly support this feature request - I think the Roku's standby is really beyond any reasonable standby.. it's the only device I know that besides the display really stays on all the way.

You must not have a cable/Satellite box. Most of these, even the ones with DVR's stay on all the time. All tuners still tuning, demodulators demodulating, Hard disks recording, etc... Only thing turned off is the audio/video outputs. And they consume a heck of a lot more power than your Roku.

Heck my first satellite HD box consumed 50W in standby! YES, 50W!!! (A toshiba DST-3000 - long since obsolete.)

You can also talk about radiation, like has been mentioned before. I think the most valid reason that has been brought up is the interference with 802.11g networks with a B device, but I don't know that this is much of a big deal this is until someone tests it.

Alhifi
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:06 am

mraneri wrote:
All tuners still tuning, demodulators demodulating, Hard disks recording, etc... Only thing turned off is the audio/video outputs.

The very simple question is ... WHY?

If i did not need the function of a device, it should be turned off, that is the simple answer. If it exhausts 1, 5 or 50 watts ... never mind.

I'd said it before, my reason for implementing the complete turning off WLAN is the electromagnetic radiation which is not necessary during standby and ROKU could be one of the leads who care about that.

Bye
Alhifi

(Sorry for my bad english)

humba

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:57 am

You must not have a cable/Satellite box.
I have two.. however, they really shut down and take an annoyingly long time to boot the OS and start decoding again.
But what you said just goes to show that manufacturers should put a lot more effort into power saving. Even notebooks shut down all network interfaces in standby mode.

In fact, our government is even looking into regulating how much power a settop box may consume in standby mode, because the cable company with 80+ % coverage of the entire country ties the box to the decryption card and the box is a model that consumes an excessive amount of power.

Imagine having a Roku Radio on your nightstand.. it's exactly where you don't want to have an active source of EM radiation for the entire night.

mraneri

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:46 am

Even notebooks shut down all network interfaces in standby mode.

That's because they run on batteries.

ian

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:02 am

Alhifi wrote:
I'd said it before, my reason for implementing the complete turning off WLAN is the electromagnetic radiation which is not necessary during standby and ROKU could be one of the leads who care about that.

If you're worried about EM radiation you should know that an average light bulb emits about 80W of EM radiation. Not the same kinds of EM as the Roku (though there is an overlap), but I presume you're equally concerned about ALL EM radiation sources.

The Sun emits about 400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Watts of EM radiation (If Roku ever sell that many units they'll be happy bunnies). We actually _DO_I have evidence that the radiation it emits can cause cancer. Why hasn't it been banned? We should be petitioning the manufacturer for a product recall. I don't know His address, but there are a whole load of resellers around here - what resposibility are they taking?

(for all engineer/scientist/rational types out there, I know I'm not comparing things like for like, but its more of a rational argument than the recent WIFI scares).

Ian

Alhifi
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:12 am

ian wrote:
If you're worried about EM radiation you should know that an average light bulb emits about 80W of EM radiation.

... during the lamp is ON and therefore in use!

the issue here is the standby-mode, while the soundbridge is OFF.

Bye
Alhifi

mraneri

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:25 am

This discussion is getting old. AND this is not the first time this has come up. We can search the forum and find the other threads that debate the health risks associated with nominal, sporadic WLAN transmission.

There's no further point to this thread. RokuMike has already acknowledged the feature request, and I'm sure Roku will not say anything more until they decide either they implement the request, or they will not be implementing.

Maybe we should lock this thread before it continues off topic.

danme

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Why pay for power that is not used? And why make use of resources not needed? Roku, please make this as good as it can get with a reasonable amount of work! Remember how many units you have already sold!

humba

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:49 pm

That's because they run on batteries.
But so does your regular PC which runs on AC power and has no battery ;)
I think it would be best to have the "real standby" behavior as an option, so those that prefer the short startup time can still have them.. I'm sure that would alleviate the concerns all those that do not look kindly upon this feature request might have.