Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Barrzy
Topic Author

Enhanced Remote for future Roku Soundbridge

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:06 pm

My house has a Nuvo Simplese (classic) system with built in IR receivers in the wall controls. I have become pretty good at guessing what is being displyed on my Roku downstairs! It would be awesome if the Roku remote had an lcd display that showed where you were in the menus. Better yet, report back to the remote, what's playing. Just a thought. - DB
Soundbridge M1001, NUVO Simplese, BOSE Acoustimass, Velodyne DLS-3750R, PMAC G5, iPod Touch w/ Soundbridge app

FrankB

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:08 am

Get a Nokia 770, then download my application at http://www.kjainvestments.com/sb. This will provide you with a remote display and ability to control your soundbridge downstairs.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Barrzy
Topic Author

Nokia

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:17 am

Yeah, looking for it in a Roku remote though. I have a Dell Axim 30 running VisualMR. Just thought Roku might build this in on a future hardware release. - DB
Soundbridge M1001, NUVO Simplese, BOSE Acoustimass, Velodyne DLS-3750R, PMAC G5, iPod Touch w/ Soundbridge app

fbee

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:54 pm

...based on WLAN with a programmable IR part for controlling the AMP (on-off switching/AUX selection/volume control).
But I´m afraid we see new media streamers on the market offering all those features, before we get an enhanced remote for our soundbriges. (':wink:')

FrankB

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:12 am

A dedicated remote from Roku seems wasteful. I would prefer a multi purpose device that happens to control my music as well. I can browse the web, check my email and crank up the tunes using my Nokia. The Dell should have the same advantages. If I hear a song on Internet Radio, I can browse the artist's web site. A dedicated remote would never match this or if it did, it would cost way more than the $130 tablet.

Frank

Barrzy
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:34 am

Yes the Dell is running CE and run Outlook and IE. Again, I think their remote could be better.

fbee

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 pm

With PDA / tablet PC remote browsing etc, how do you control the rest of the signal path (amp on/off, channel selection, volume control) ?
In my opinion there´s still a missing link. Or is there a network-device on the market, transforming your commands of the PDA/tablet into a IR signal that e.g. switches your amp on ?
fbee

FrankB

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:39 am

To control the amp, I use a URC-9910 RF remote. You can turn the volume down with the tablet via Wifi but not up. Channel selection is irrelevant to me since all my channels come via the Soundbridge which I can see and control via the tablet.

I guess that's the next thing I need to do, create a device that converts wifi to IR. :)

Frank

fbee

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:46 pm

meanwhile, I found some devices that would allow ir remote controlling by LAN, eg.http://www.stumpfl.com/common/index.php ... product=16

and other companies in the conference/presentation business.
The capabilities/prices of those devices are outstanding ;-)

bobinchicago

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:35 pm

I successfully installed the remote on my N770. If anyone runs into the problem I had -- files whose names begin with "hildon" are not installed but necessary -- take these steps:

Go into the application manager.

Go into Tools > Application catalog.

Tap New.

Type matrix into the Web Address field.

Click Cancel. Yes, Cancel.

A dialog will appear asking whether to use the red pill or blue pill. Tap red pill.

Once it's ready, tap All.

Scroll down to find the files you need. Their names are not exactly the names you're warned about during the remote's installation. Choose the very closest match.

Once you've installed those files, you can go back and install the remote itself.

(One of the reasons I have a love/hate relationship with the 770 is the need to know about easter eggs like this for perfectly normal software installs. Their SDK should just package any dependencies with the app installer so neither the developer nor the end user has to go through this sort of thing.)

Anyway, it's a very cool remote program, well worth installing. Thanks much for the work you've put into developing it, Frank.
Last edited by bobinchicago on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tal

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:08 am

fbee wrote:
With PDA / tablet PC remote browsing etc, how do you control the rest of the signal path (amp on/off, channel selection, volume control) ?

I don't need the IR part that much (I control the volume with VisualMR through the soundbridge) but my (old) HP iPAQ has universal control software and consumer IR hardware build in.

Since only a few PocketPCs have consumer IR, there had been IR senders (along with matching software) that you plug into the the PocketPCs headset connector and that enabled your PocketPC to become a universal control.

Barrzy wrote:
Yes the Dell is running CE and run Outlook and IE. Again, I think their remote could be better.

Yes, having a PDA or a similar spezialized remote with a display that shows much more information including coverart and makes browsing and searching your library much easier for me accounts for a whole different SoundBridge experience.

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

dinkeldorf

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:12 am

I'm in violent agreement with you. Slim is starting down this path with Jive, Sonos has had it for a while. I've relegated my M1001 to the basement for this reason.

tal wrote:
Yes, having a PDA or a similar spezialized remote with a display that shows much more information including coverart and makes browsing and searching your library much easier for me accounts for a whole different SoundBridge experience.
Roku M1001 (releaged to the basemetn); Harman Kardon AVR430 & AVR235. 5 indoor + 1 outdoor zones +Theatre room 5.1 built ins
Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW
Gigabit whole home network; 802.11BGN, D link DNS323 2x500GB

bobinchicago

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:18 pm

dinkeldorf wrote:
I'm in violent agreement with you. Slim is starting down this path with Jive, Sonos has had it for a while. I've relegated my M1001 to the basement for this reason.

Of course, Sonos' remote is four hundred freakin' bucks, and that's $50 more than one of their two receivers. Heck, you can buy three refurb M1001s and a case of beer for $400. Purty screens ain't everything.

dinkeldorf

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 am

Actually from a usability perspective purty screens and WIFI are everything in a whole house set up when your components are hidden away or in another room. It's where the market is heading even at thebudget end. Check out the squeeze / jive stuff which is more of a comprable to m1001 as your price comparison fails to make mention of features.

[quote="bobinchicago]Of course, Sonos' remote is four hundred freakin' bucks, and that's $50 more than one of their two receivers. Heck, you can buy three refurb M1001s and a case of beer for $400. Purty screens ain't everything.[/quote]
Roku M1001 (releaged to the basemetn); Harman Kardon AVR430 & AVR235. 5 indoor + 1 outdoor zones +Theatre room 5.1 built ins

Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW

Gigabit whole home network; 802.11BGN, D link DNS323 2x500GB

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:55 am

dinkeldorf wrote:
Check out the squeeze / jive stuff which is more of a comprable to m1001 as your price comparison fails to make mention of features.

Jive looks very impressive. If I were Roku, I wouldn`t be happy at all with this development.

Having said that, i`m hopeful that the direction that Slim are taking with Jive will prompt Roku to look again at what they can do to enhance the remote control experience of Soundbridge. If they don`t, some will go over to the other side, that much is certain.

Time will tell!