Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doug260
Visitor

Auto-launch app?

Is there any way to have Roku automatically launch YouTube TV when I turn on my tv?
21 REPLIES 21
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Auto-launch app?

No there is not. A Roku TV can be configured to start on Live TV, or maybe an HDMI input (can't recall the exact settings) but there's no way to auto-start any of the Roku apps/channels.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

Depending on your criteria "AutoLaunch" might work for you. AutoLaunch a screensaver that allows you to automatically launch a channel when the "screensaver" kicks in. First, download AutoLaunch from the channel store then go to Settings > Theme > Screensavers > AutoLaunch > Change screensaver settings. Select the channel you want to automatically launch. You'll then need to adjust your Screensaver wait time under Settings > Theme. Unfortunately, 1 minute is the quickest the screensaver would turn on. It worked for my application. Good luck.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/242413/autolaunch

user350823

Exactly, how else can they show you ads on the main screen if you bypass it and go right into the application you want.

bkerr
Reel Rookie

As this feature is not available, can you please log an enhancement to automatically start a channel of ones choice by default when the Roku device is turned on?  Example.  When I turn on my tv, Roku loads by default and lists all channels to access.  It would be ideal to code an option to automatically start Sling or any other channel when the Roku device has stated.  That's a simple enhancement and makes Roku more flexible and desirable.

Cheers,
b

Gman_gm
Reel Rookie

yeah,  tried that, 1 minute? ridiculous for real time stuff (i.e. I turned on my TV now wait a minute+ for a screen saver to kick in and switch me to the app of my choice, -but understandable for a product that is billed as a screensaver. There needs to be a real auto-app launch capability that is instant. 

Many Roku customers are trying to replace cable, cable does not come up and say, what main app do you want to watch so you can then select something to actually watch.  An additional problem for YouTubeTV or many Apps is that even if it goes to 'Live' and last channel viewed within YouTube, it then imposes the dark overlay & guide instead of just immediately full screen showing what you last looked at (like cable or over-the-air tv does).- thus yet even more buttons to press before your normal go-to channel comes up.

That last part is not something for Roku to address,  just the option to get you direct to an App of your choice if you want (i.e. a setting).

RayMWu

I also would like that option of autostarting an app - we have an elderly mom that loves her chinese stations and I've downloaded several apps for her to pick but she's starting to be very challenged to see and select an app so I want to automatically default to one for her.

I hate to go to cable but looking like that's the only viable option...

Siciliano57
Binge Watcher

Re: Auto-launch app setting

Count me in to have a Roku setting to launch a specific channel like YouTubeTV.

The Auto Launch screensaver does not work well for me.  It worked during the day bur overnight something changed.  The screensaver did not function and went to the Roku menu when the TV was turned on.  When I went to the Auto Launch settings, the start-up channel changed to ABCNews Live.  Not sure why that happened.

Anyway, Roku, please listen to your customers and add an auto launch setting.

Lees
Reel Rookie

I will never be able to convince my wife to switch from cable to live streaming until the controlling device (Roku) supports startup in the live streaming app. Too many extra steps to get to the thing she watches most. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Lees, it's probably easier to get a new wife than to get Roku to make a change. Smiley Tongue

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.