Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamr

Feature Request: Add PIP (PIcture In Picture)

Please add an option for PIP So we can add things like a PIP with the options to show an IP camera feed when someone touches the doorbell at our front door.
Or, view one channel in the TV guide and PIP another.
Most TV's sold today to not have this feature but it could be one more reason to own a ROKU!
Thank you.

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
TheRealElbadoo
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature Request: Add PIP (PIcture In Picture)

I like to watch Youtube feeds for SpaceX rocket launches. Being able to watch both the SpaceX official channel and a commentary channel like EveryDay Astronaut - and being able to flip between them - would be great. This would be a HUGE feature addition for Roku. Roku Ultra Ultra? Roku Ultra x2? Oh, please make it happen...

Conceptually, this wouldn't rely on any sort of capability within the TV/monitor you're using. This would need the Roku box itself to be able to stream two distinct feeds and then manage compositing them into the HDMI output to the screen. Add a dedicated PIP button into the remote and Roku would have an absolutely killer product that (as far as I know) nobody else has.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are absolutely right I couldn't agree more and this should happen, As fast as a Simple Update. With a good code writer anything is possible. It would be as easy asss an Update. With all the technology today Roku seems to be slipping in the features improvement department, and to concerned about getting new cash cow channels up and running EVEN A SPLIT SCREEN OPTION wOuld Be CheaPer for them to do. Maybe they could hire me. But they just got the rights to any IDEAS we all post. With the quid quo pro agreements we must all succumb to. Just to use something we allready bought. I don't like the idea that what is written here becomes Roku property to use. We are all doing their work for them. If somebody's idea is a real winner for them . ROKU should reward them with some Credits at least. That's incentive the consumer and Roku to improve. Ain't nothing wrong with that. Thank You Roku!!! If you like what you read kudo it

Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't agree more. Kudos,! 

TheRealElbadoo
Reel Rookie

It may or may not be doable as a software-only solution. My guess is that they're already dealing with a limited power and hardware budget, and adding the decoding of a second data stream plus the combining of outputs may be more than they can handle in existing products. Plus they might need a dedicated button on the remote to make switching between sources quick and easy; I really don't want to have to pile more stuff into the * button's functionality.

From a marketing standpoint, this would be a major new feature and a huge selling point for new hardware. I've gone through multiple generations of Roku hardware - each adding some new capability and/or performance - so I don't imagine this would be any different.

As for compensation, I'd feel more than rewarded if something we post gets picked up as a feature in some future product. After all, the reason we're posting ideas is because we want to see them in our living room!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very well said. Not much to add to that. Great if they could implement that next with the cameras. 

PiP would be nice. 

jdblundell

Yes please. I've found one of the most frustrating parts of streaming is how frustrating it is to switch between live events - especially sports.

Not only is it difficult if both games are on the same channel (like Hulu or Paramount) but it's even more difficult when you have a game on Hulu and Apple TV.

We end up having to watch one game on a phone or tablet and the other on the TV. Not an enjoyable experience.

0 Kudos