Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chris5287

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:19 pm

Good news, v1.1 has got apples approval and has hit the app store. For guys/gals who have already downloaded v1.0, check you update view in app store, it should appear there very soon (and of course updates are free!!!!!!) :D

bcwubby

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:24 pm

Chris, great work! The addition of sleep and alarm are great additions since you can't access these with the actual Roku remote. Thanks again!

cinnamonsigh

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:03 am

chris5287 wrote:
Good news, v1.1 has got apples approval and has hit the app store. For guys/gals who have already downloaded v1.0, check you update view in app store, it should appear there very soon (and of course updates are free!!!!!!) :D

Just downloaded! Great update, thanks for all the new features. Keep up the good work

tonyglover

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:38 am

Chris,

Good work on the update, much appreciated!!

I'm still getting songs coming up in non-track order though.... I'm using a Buffalo Linkstation DLNA NAS to get to my music - when I connect via the on-board Twonky server, songs are still in alphabetical order. When I connect via the iTunes server, songs come up in random order... When I play the music directly on the soundbridge (with the real Roky remote), the songs come up in order...

Any ideas anyone??!!??

Haggis

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:59 am

The new features in 1.1 are very cool.

I've tried a few different servers with RokuRemote 1.1:

Tversity:
* Artist->Album->Song does not work. (Actually, this doesn't work directly in the Soundbridge's menus either unless you browse by server containers, so it is probably a server thing.)
* Songs listed in albums are alphabetical rather than track order.

WMP11:
* Artist->Album->Song does work, but songs are in alphabetical rather than track order in RokuRemote. (Using the Soundbridge's menus directly, songs are in track order.)
* Songs listed in albums are alphabetical rather than track order.

iTunes:
* Everything seems to work fine.

I prefer TVersity because it allows me to use one server to stream to all my devices (Soundbridge, PS3, iPod Touch). I'll probably end up running Firefly for my Soundbridge in addition to TVersity for the others.

chris5287

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:27 pm

Thanks for all the great support, getting some great feedback and everyone seems to be happy with the update.

I shall certainly look at track ordering again, i've tried and tested on my end with wmp and firefly and both work as they should so im a bit confused atm. But I'll plough on and see if I can find whats causing the problem. If anyone would be happy to open their roku to the web (obviously private post me with details), so I can see whats happening on your servers, this would be a great help.

g0pkh

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:27 am

Hi Great app chris.
But like a few others I get a random track order too. Using firefly server on Buffalo linkstation.

Also I get continual "Lost communication with device" errors.
Anyone else seen this ?

Keep up the good work

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

Pagemakers

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:40 am

Just downloaded the update and it has auto-discovered my 3 roku devices and named them

Soundbridge 3
Soundbridge 1
Soundbridge 2

2 problems for me here....

1) Why are they not in order?
2) More importantly, how do I change the names back to: Office, Kitchen, Lounge? Because 1, 2 and 3 mean nothing to me. It would appear you can't edit or delete the auto-found machines. How about an option not to show auto-discovered machines if editing is not possible.

Great update though.
Bring back the M2000 or an equivalent!

chris5287

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:47 am

Hi Paul, i've emailed you a reply, but just incase if anyone else is having this problem, heres the instructions:

The app grabs the roku names from the devices themselves, the easiest way to change the names is to:

- Open a web browser
- Navigate to each of your roku's web page,
- Click configuration on top of the page
- On Player Name, enter the name you want for that device
- Repeat for the other 2

Restarting all 3 devices and the app and everything should be named correctly :D

Thanks
Chris Stylianou

Pagemakers

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:55 am

Sorted.

Very happy and great support. Now a 5 star app!

Pagemakers

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:58 am

PS: I'd give you 5.5 stars if the next update showed what each Roku was doing on the main servers page ;)

cakes

Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:22 am

chris5287 wrote:
Its going to be very hit and miss with grabbing artwork from mp3's (see previous post about this). Im hoping with the artwork caching and the ability to change album artwork through your photo album will be a good "inbetween" solution that suits most people.

I make sure all my mp3 have artwork embedded in each file, and I don't mind the effort because I know once it's in there, it is fixed once and for all. So I don't see myself extracting the artwork, copying it to my ipod touch and then using your workaround. So I'm still voting for looking for artwork in the file (and based on a simple rule: just look in the mp3 that is playing....).

I downloaded version 1.1 and this is a big step forward. Only the internetradio I cannot get to work. Under internetradio, I only see 'firefly mediaserver' listed, not a single internet radiostation. And when I try to play this one, connection is lost. Do I need to configure something? Playing radiostations that have been saved as a preset works fine.

I also have a few suggestions for next versions:
- if only one soundbridge is found, why not immediately connect?
- if a song is playing, why not immediately go to the remote screen?
- would it be possible to cache the connection? Just think about this use case: music has been playing for a while and you want to skip a song. now it takes up to 10sec before you'r on the remote screen.
- why not caching the metadata from the musicserver? this would really speed up things. Now it takes about 4sec to load +-500 albums and 30sec to load 4000 songs. (this is using firefly; haven't tried with WMP, but that one should be really slow)
- would it be possible to wake the server via WOL? would save me a roundtrip upstairs where my PC is ....

Thanks,

cakes
Server: WXP-SP2 PC with Firefly and GBPVR (tv, video,...)
Clients:
1x soundbridge homemusic
2x Hauppauge media MVP

g0pkh

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:33 am

Hi all.

Anyone else noticing frequent disconnections ?

Also I have 4 Soundbridges in the house.
2 radios 1 M1001 and 1 M2000.

The application lists them all, but cannot connect to the M1001 or the M2000, Just get "Failed to connect to device).

I like the app very much, but alas cannot use it because of this.

I am using the application on an iPhone, could this be the problem.
Is it compatible ?

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

chris5287

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:44 am

cakes wrote:
Only the internetradio I cannot get to work. Under internetradio, I only see 'firefly mediaserver' listed, not a single internet radiostation. And when I try to play this one, connection is lost. Do I need to configure something? Playing radiostations that have been saved as a preset works fine.

You have to go to radioroku.com and setup a connection between your roku's and this service. On radioroku.com you can select your internet radio favourites, which will then be displayed on the app. I cannot provide any more function atm other than favourites as the api does not allow searching of internet stations.

cakes wrote:
if only one soundbridge is found, why not immediately connect?

Cannot do this as bonjour is constantly searching network for new services, so guessing when its managed to find all devices is pretty hard, its only 1 click anyway.

cakes wrote:
if a song is playing, why not immediately go to the remote screen?

This would be bad hci, and many people wouldnt want that (I know I wouldnt). Once you are connected to the device, you are only every one click away from the remote (top right corner)

cakes wrote:
would it be possible to cache the connection? Just think about this use case: music has been playing for a while and you want to skip a song. now it takes up to 10sec before you'r on the remote screen.

not possible, as every time the connection is lost, the app has to run through the connection setup again (unless im doing things wrong and i've missed somethin in the api)

cakes wrote:
why not caching the metadata from the musicserver? this would really speed up things. Now it takes about 4sec to load +-500 albums and 30sec to load 4000 songs. (this is using firefly; haven't tried with WMP, but that one should be really slow)

It is difficult to cache lists, but you've given me an idea of how to speed listing up. How would people feel about a sync button on the server list (after you've connected to a device), so first time you use app it downloads all lists, and then afterwards you manually sync lists when you know a change has been made?

cakes wrote:
would it be possible to wake the server via WOL? would save me a roundtrip upstairs where my PC is ....

As the app communicates directly with your roku and not the server, i cant see how this is possible.

g0pkh wrote:
Anyone else noticing frequent disconnections ?
Also I have 4 Soundbridges in the house.
2 radios 1 M1001 and 1 M2000.
The application lists them all, but cannot connect to the M1001 or the M2000, Just get "Failed to connect to device).
I like the app very much, but alas cannot use it because of this.
I am using the application on an iPhone, could this be the problem.

As long as your iPhone is connecting to your wifi connection then this shouldnt cause any problems. Can you try adding the M1001/M2000 manually and see if this solves the problem? Also can you make sure all your devices have firmware 3 or higher on them.

Wondercow

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:45 am

chris5287 wrote:
cakes wrote:
why not caching the metadata from the musicserver? this would really speed up things. Now it takes about 4sec to load +-500 albums and 30sec to load 4000 songs. (this is using firefly; haven't tried with WMP, but that one should be really slow)

It is difficult to cache lists, but you've given me an idea of how to speed listing up. How would people feel about a sync button on the server list (after you've connected to a device), so first time you use app it downloads all lists, and then afterwards you manually sync lists when you know a change has been made?

I'd love to see that implemented. My collection is too large for the Soundbridge to allow me to browse by song—even with Firefly—but your app will load the entire list.... eventually :D
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers